Best Albums of 2007

RPS

Regarding Nightwish: I never really liked Tarja's singing anyway.

And I haven't even heard the new Symphony X, sorry. Maybe I should, but lately I've been into more straight forward music.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forgot to mention the new Interpol which was awesome as well.

I would have to put my top 10 looking like this, after careful consideration.

10: Bjork - Volta

9: Battles - Mirrored

8: Interpol - Our Love to Admire

7: The White Stripes - Icky Thump

6: Arctic Monkeys - Favourite Worst Nightmare

5: M.I.A. - Kala

4: LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver

3: Eluvium - Copia

2: Radiohead - In Rainbows

1: Burial - Untrue

Top 10, in Alphabetical order:

Arcade Fire - Neon Bible

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Baby 81

The Cribs - Mens Needs, Womens Needs, Whatever

Dogs - Tall Stories From Under the Table

The Enemy - We'll Live and Die In These Towns

Maximo Park - Our Earthly Pleasures

Modest Mouse - We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank

The Rakes - 10 New Messages

The View - Hats off to the Buskers

The White Stripes - Icky Thump

Other standout albums:

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - IsIs(EP/Album...whatever)

Foo Fighters - Echoes, Silence, Patience, Grace

Klaxons - Myths of the Near Future

Hmm, pretty much the only albums I got from 2007 were these few, and I really liked them all.

Omar Rodriquez-Lopez - Se Dice Bisonte, No Bufalo

Omar Rodriquez-Lopez - Calibarion (released in Japan)

Queens of the Stone Age - Era Vulgaris

Foo Fighters - E,S,P&G

White Stripes - Icky Thump

I've been meaning to get the new Motion City Soundtrack album as well, so I think I might get that. And also the new Streetlight Manifesto album, because YI made it sound good, and I didn't even know they had a new album out.

Let's see... albums that came out in 07 that I enjoyed...

3 Inches of Blood - Fire Up the Blades

Aiden - Conviction

Alkaline Trio - Remains

As I Lay Dying - Frail Worlds Collapse

Atreyu - Lead Sails, Paper Anchor

Avenged Sevenfold - Self Titled

Blaqk Audio - CexCells

Bright Eyes - Cassadaga

Calabrese - The Traveling Vampire Show

Cauterize - Unmasked

Cry of the Afflicted - The Unveiling

Demon Hunter - Storm the Gates of Hell

DevilDriver - The Last Kind Words

Dimmu Borgir - In Sorte Diaboli

Divine Heresey - Bleed the Fifth

Fall Out Boy - Infinity on High

Foo Fighters - Echoes, Silence, Patience and Grace

From Autumn To Ashes - Holding a Wolf by the Ears

Good Charlotte - Good Morning Revival

Gorgeous Frankenstein - Self Titled

Heavens - Patent Pending

Hellyeah - Self Titled

HIM - Venus Doom

Jonathan Davis - Alone, I Play

Linkin Park - Minutes to Midnight

Machine Head - The Blackening

Marilyn Manson - Eat Me, Drink Me

Megadeth - United Abominations

Michale Graves - Illusions

Nightwish - Dark Passion Play

Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero

Puscifer - V is for Vagina

Rob Zombie - Zombie Live

Seether - Finding Beauty in Negative Spaces

Sixx AM - The Heroin Diaries

The 69 Eyes - Angels

The Undead - 12 Hits From Hell Un-Covered

The Used - Lies For the Liars

Tiger Army - Music from Regions Beyond

Icons of the Underground vol. 1 - Glenn Danzig

------------------------------------

Wow... that's 40... so here's a quick Top 5...

05. The Used - Lies for the Liars

-The Used has always been a favorite of mine... whether they go soft, or completely balls out, pissed off and drugged up, I love it. Their pop songs are catchy and fun... their heavy songs are heavy and fun or heavy and engaging... and everything in between finds a nice little spot on their record.

04. Michale Graves - Illusions

-I had to order this one from Amazon because it's impossible to get anything remotely independent around here. Fans of Michale's who aren't strictly into the punk thing will really dig this album. It's light, and mostly acoustic with an accompanying band. Some of the songs sport lyrics written by Damien Echols, and proceeds go to the West Memphis Three. I follow Graves around like a sheep, but I only expect to enjoy what he does, I don't expect it to fit any certain mold. Perhaps that's why I'm able to like his Misfits works, and his solo metal stuff, and now his more folky tunes. There are some really nice gems on here if you like acoustic songs.

03. Good Charlotte - Good Morning Revival

-Yeah, Good Charlotte. So what? Wanna fight about it? Say what you will about them. Their first two albums were catchy and fun, and then they started getting weird. Never have they put out a record without at least one decent song... but there was a long period there where I was dumbfounded as to how they got so gay. The new record really is a Revival for the band. They're not trying to be anything... they just put out a record full of catchy and fun songs. Sure, it's POPtastic... but after a long day of listening to a playlist that is predominantly metal, punk and rock... some good pop music is a nice change. If you haven't heard it, give it a chance. They've been shitty before, but even if you don't like the new album, there's no denying that there's something there.

02. Blaqk Audio - CexCells

-Oh Davey Havok... how I love thee. Fans of AFI complain a shitload about how Davey and company have strayed too far from the sounds that got them where they are. There's no denying that the first record and most recent recordings are worlds apart, but that comes down to growing interests and improving abilities. That said, Davey and guitarist Jade Puget set out to let out their creative juices in the dance/electronica/whatever you want to call it, department... also, I'm pretty sure they got out most of the gay on this album, so the good news for AFI fans who don't like the gayness the band has grown toward, is that the next album might be heavier, leaning more towards the metal genre if they decide not to backtrack to their punk roots.

Blaqk Audio is a great thing though. It really is. There's not a bad song on the album. There are ones you'll come to enjoy more, and ones that you really don't care about... but there's not a bad song on the album. You can put it on, and let it play without having to get up and press the next button. Also, Stiff Kittens makes for an awesome ringtone.

01. Alkaline Trio - Remains

-How many bands can round up a collection of unreleased b-sides, demos and various scraps of shit that they cut from their previous albums... and then have it be even half as good as Remains is? Not that fucking many. Solid album with a ton of memorable tracks. This album single-handedly had me going backwards to find every possible thing on the band that I could. Amazing stuff, and fun to boot.

"Remains" is awesome, although I did have all the tracks before it was released (besides one of the "Crimson" b-sides). It also helps that "Jaked On Green Beers" and "Warbrain" are possibly Alkaline Trio's 2 best songs EVER, which makes the collection so good. Then you've got tunes like "Old School Reasons" ("It might be meaningless to you/But it means everything to me/AND I'M FUCKED WITHOUT YOU"...awesome...just awesome), which outside of "Warbrain" is the best tune they've written since "From Here To Infirmary". Great collection of songs.

Edited by YI

Let's see here.....

10. Coheed & Cambria - "No World for Tomorrow"

9. Colbie Cailat - "Coco"

8. Alicia Keys - "As I Am"

7. Sea Wolf - "Leaves in the River"

6. Rooney - "Calling the World"

5. Lupe Fiasco - "The Cool"

4. Maroon 5 - "It Won't Be Soon Before Long"

3. The Shins - "Wincing the Night Away"

2. Bruce Springsteen - "Magic"

1. Kanye West - "Graduation"

5. Stars - In Our Bedroom after the War

4. The Weakerthans - Reunion Tour

3. Andrew Jackson Jihad - People That Can Eat People Are The Luckiest People In The World

2. Coheed and Cambria - No World For Tomorrow

1. Arcade Fire - Neon Bible

Chase This Light - Jimmy Eat World

Somewhere in Between - Streetlight Manifesto

Strictly Rude - Big D and the Kids Table

Bad Religion - New Maps of Hell

Reunion Tour - The Weakerthans

In Defense of the Genre - Say Anything

Remains - Alkaline Trio

Even if it Kills Me - Motion City Soundtrack

Feels like that this year, was a pretty off year for me music wise, I wasn't impressed with the overall quality of Say Anything's album, because the second disc was kinda there.. New Wave by Against Me! was disgusting, and the new Foo Fighters CD was eh.

I'm hoping for a better 2008.