Sweeney Todd

DMN in the House

Yes, I am aware there was a topic about it, but its like a year old, and yeah, fuck it.

Any one else check it out? I have to be totally awesome, I went into it not expecting to like it much, because I'm a macho, macho man, like Oscar De La Hoya (:shifty:), and its a musical, but it was totally awesome. Really enjoyed it, and I'll probably end up seeing it again, since I went with my brother, and my girl wants to see it.

So, yeah, Johnny Depp is totally awesome in everything, I have a weird thing for Helen Bonham Carter, and even Sasha Baron Cohen was good in the short part he had. I'm not going to comment on the singing, except to say it was good enough that it never bothered me.

If you're looking for something a little different, check it out.

It is fucking awesome, and this coming from someone who enjoyed the original musical and had suspicions about whether they could pull it off. I think it's impressive that they cut a few of my favorite pieces out of the film and yet it didn't feel like it was lacking at all. A lot of people have talked about how Sweeney and Burton were a perfect fit, but the truth is it was a BIG stretch for him to cover subject matter so dark. Some of his films are macabre but they're much more rye and farcical. And on this very dark and disturbing musical, he knocked it out of the park. So did Depp and Bonham Carter. Just a wonderful movie.

I got around to seeing it yesterday and really loved it. Despite Depp being the icon for annoying 12 year olds whose parents "don't understand them," he truly is a tremendous actor and can really pull off just about any role. Helena Bonham Carter was amazing, and I literally had no idea Sascha Baron Cohen was in the movie until the opening credits rolled (I have deliberately avoided hype or news on this movie so I could go in with an open mind), but he floored me as well with just how good he really is. Alan Rickman is Alan Rickman, which means he's fucking fantastic as usual. I can't think of a bad thing to say about this one, it's definitely one of my late picks for film of 07.

I completely forgot that the movie was rated R when I went to see it, so when Mr. T started cutting people's throats it took me by surprise. I am very familiar with the musical (I was in a high school production of it way back in the day.) and it was actually a really good movie.

My wife actually was the one who surprised me after seeing it, as she said she wants to go out and buy the soundtrack and definitely get it when it comes out on DVD. I thought it was awesome, even though I'm a HUGE fan of the stage show and didn't like some of the cuts that were made. Overall though, I could see this one winning some deserved awards this year.

I completely forgot that the movie was rated R when I went to see it, so when Mr. T started cutting people's throats it took me by surprise. I am very familiar with the musical (I was in a high school production of it way back in the day.) and it was actually a really good movie.

Mr T is in this movie? :shifty:

What a fucking great movie.

Not for everyone, but I swear, this movie just further proves my notion that Tim Burton is such an amazing auteur and has to be remembered as one of the most consistent directors around today. Has this guy made a bad movie outside of Planet of the Apes?

What a fucking great movie.

Not for everyone, but I swear, this movie just further proves my notion that Tim Burton is such an amazing auteur and has to be remembered as one of the most consistent directors around today. Has this guy made a bad movie outside of Planet of the Apes?

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was God-awful.

I saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and that wasn't a bad movie. Eclipsed by the original? Totally. But it was a respectable movie in its own right - I mean, if the original didn't exist it would probably be remembered a hell of a lot more fonder.

I think a lot of people forget that Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was a book and Burton's movie is far more faithful. Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, however, is a cinematic classic in its own right... it's kinda hard to compare the two movies.

To me, the original and the Tim Burton version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory are two completely different movies with the same name, really.

To be honest, I HATED Burton's version, and I really tried not to considering it was Burton and Depp. Depp acted well, but his dialogue in the movie was terrible, and his character was just... well, it was a rather awful character too, to be honest.

And the Oompa Loompas? What in the hell was that? To me, that movie was just bad on so many levels. I'm sorry.

None the less, this is about Sweeney Todd and not Charlie.

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw Sweeney Todd (previews), and oh my fucking God, that's the best movie I've ever seen.

Tony Schiavone would probably explode, as there is no way to overhype this film. It's just not possible. If it doesn't win everything it's eligible for at the Oscars this year, it's going to have to be a fantastic year for films :P

I also saw the film at the weekend. I found it to be alright...but not a film I'd ever want to see again (not even one of those where I think "I am GETTING that on DVD!" as I walk out of the cinema, but when the DVD actually comes out I think "...eh"). I don't know whether it's because I've only been able to tolerate Tim Burton films in small doses or what...

At the end of it all, the main thing I shall remember the film for was the duet between Johnny Depp and Alan Rickman. A truly bizarre thing to behold.