YI And His Special Music Corner

YI

My mind is blown. :shifty:

After seeing their double CD, all of their material, thing, in HMV the other day. I decided to download the "Cap'n Jazz" stuff again today. Amazing, amazing band! Definately one of the emo greats.

Upon doing this, I found out that after the split, they formed a new band "Joan Of Arc". "Joan Of Arc" are a band I've heard of, but never checked out, just presuming them to be shit. Just started listening to them, sound great.

However...the more I delve. Turns out Owen/American Football guy (Mike Kinsella) was/is in both Cap'n Jazz and Joan Of Arc...and is the brother of Tim Kinsella, the singer/main guy in both.

Then...turns out they were both in a band called "Owls", whose CD I downloaded years back and remember enjoying.

There's also a cousin, who put out an album under the name "Birthmark" last year, which I'm listening to at the minute. It's great lo-fi stuff.

...greatest...family...ever...even better than the Minogue's.

Oh, and randomly. Yesterday I saw Jack's Mannequin in the 'metal' section in HMV...I giggled.

Edited by YI

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My mind is blown. :shifty:

After seeing their double CD, all of their material, thing, in HMV the other day. I decided to download the "Cap'n Jazz" stuff again today. Amazing, amazing band! Definately one of the emo greats.

Upon doing this, I found out that after the split, they formed a new band "Joan Of Arc". "Joan Of Arc" are a band I've heard of, but never checked out, just presuming them to be shit. Just started listening to them, sound great.

However...the more I delve. Turns out Owen/American Football guy (Mike Kinsella) was/is in both Cap'n Jazz and Joan Of Arc...and is the brother of Tim Kinsella, the singer/main guy in both.

Then...turns out they were both in a band called "Owls", whose CD I downloaded years back and remember enjoying.

There's also a cousin, who put out an album under the name "Birthmark" last year, which I'm listening to at the minute. It's great lo-fi stuff.

...greatest...family...ever...even better than the Minogue's.

Oh, and randomly. Yesterday I saw Jack's Mannequin in the 'metal' section in HMV...I giggled.

I love cap'n jazz and american football, you have now made me listento AF and want to listen to cap'n jazz but I can't find any on my computer, boooooooooo

Never listened to Cap'n Jazz, though I've been told they're good. Two questions, what/who do they sound like? And what's a good starting point, any particular album?

They have one album called "Burritos, Inspiration Point, Fork Balloon Sports, Cards in the Spokes, Automatic Biographies, Kites, Kung Fu, Trophies, Banana Peels We've Slipped on and Egg Shells We've Tippy Toed Over" or more commonly "Shmap'n Shmazz" which is not very available and is a major collectors item. The songs of that album plus a bunch of b-sidey stuff was released as a double-cd called "Analphabetapolothology"

Best way I can put how they sound (to me) is a bit twinkly guitar, pop-punky emo with undeniably naive yet endearing great lyrics

Never listened to Cap'n Jazz, though I've been told they're good. Two questions, what/who do they sound like? And what's a good starting point, any particular album?

They only have one studio album and one EP. However there's a release called "Analphabetapolothology" which is a 2 disk CD, with EVERYTHING they recorded on (including a cover of "Take On Me" :shifty:). Get that.

They're basically very Rites Of Spring, early Get Up Kids, Braid, Sunny Day Real Estate type of stuff Basically that 'old school' emo sound. But are also like the 'godfathers' for the current crop of bands like Algernon Cadwallader, This Town Needs Guns, Street Smart Cyclist. Pulled Apart By Horses etc. Basically, there's a very big chance you'll love them.

Edited by YI

Former Cell Mates are supporting Gaslight again for their December UK dates, along with The King Blues.

That's it, I'm fucking going. I'm guaranteed to not be working for the London date, I won't have to misss school to get down in time (though I probably still will :shifty: ) and I'll have the money. Former Cell Mates just clinched it.

I fucking love dragsy! His talk of Cap'n Jazz lead me to American Football then to Sharks Keep Moving, best and most chilled morning ever!

I've never heard Cap'n Jazz, and I never knew there was link between them and AF. Still, thanks >_>

Former Cell Mates are supporting Gaslight again for their December UK dates, along with The King Blues.

That's it, I'm fucking going. I'm guaranteed to not be working for the London date, I won't have to misss school to get down in time (though I probably still will :shifty: ) and I'll have the money. Former Cell Mates just clinched it.

I may be going too, I'm down London that week anyway for the Coheed bonanza, I may just stay the extra day and go. And then hellisforheroes in Brum the day after :D

Johnny Truant announce split

Brighton rockers decide to call it a day

* Oct 31, 2008

* 0 Comments

* Johnny Truant news, reviews, video and tour dates

* Add Johnny Truant to MyNME

Johnny Truant have announced they are splitting up.

In a statement released today (October 31), the band said they would be calling it a day after their next set of live dates.

"Johnny Truant has officially broken up. We have had many amazing years and made many great friends along the way," they explained. "Thank you to everyone that has supported us and shared so many fantastic times with us, it's been a hell of a ride and one that we are very proud of.

"Our final shows will be in the UK in December. Come along and let's make them the biggest party we can."

The band's farewell tour will take in the following dates:

Leeds Cockpit (December 1)

Norwich Queen Charlotte (3)

York Fibbers (4)

Prestatyn Pontins (5)

Oxford Zodiac (6)

Reading Face Bar (7)

Sheffield Corporation (8)

Stoke Sugarmill (9)

Milton Keynes The Pitz (10)

Glasgow King Tuts (11)

Nottingham Rock City (13)

Peterborough The Park (14)

Southampton The Joiners (15)

London Water Rats (16)

Brighton The Engine Rooms (17)

To check the availability of Johnny Truant tickets and get all the latest listings, go to NME.COM/GIGS now, or call 0871 230 1094.

Johnny Truant's fourth album 'No Tears For The Creatures' was released earlier this year.

From the NME

Rubbish. Even more so because they aren't coming to the South-West for their farewell tour.

I'm just going to copy & paste what I've posted on ETS and nin.com's forums about the show. Setlist is at the bottom.

Master Shake

The Big Ass NIN Logo

Justin, Trent & Robin during Echoplex

Plano's Faithful Civil Patrol

Health reminded me of a slightly softer Boris. Nothing like what I listened to on their MySpace page. Weird.

I got my presale ticket as soon as we got there, and promptly posted my ass with all the regular folk/non-"fanclub" people. I eventually went through the presale line when that part of the line was empty. I could have been near the front if I hustled my ass. Oh well. My friends payed $15 for a tour date shirt from some black guy that was sneakily selling shirts in line, and it was the old ones from the Summer leg. hahaha. When I got in, I went straight to the merch table and bought a swank t-shirt with the Slip front album design and the tour dates from THIS leg on the bank. For $35. Shit.

Anyway, fucking crazy concert. "March of the Pigs" had an insane moshpit that I got dragged into. Some girl kept dancing up on my right arm/thigh. Maybe it's because I'm fat and can't handle things, but my body was sore as hell last night after the show due to the pit I was infront of. They tossed people into my shoulders and lower back like it was nothing. And to top it off, I somehow came down with a cold, despite it not even being close to cold outside last night. Oh, and for being a no smoking venue (apparently), there was alot of cigarettes being lit up, and pot as well, some real skunk shit.

From my position on the floor (I could have thrown something onto the stage with ease), I only saw maybe 3 crowd surfers. One was right infront of me to my right, and everyone that was holding him threw him to the left and no one caught him. Credit to that guy though, he got right back up and got into a pit.

I listened to the Ghosts tracks that were played at the show before last night's, and they don't sound like what was played last night. I wish I knew, though, because the one with Justin on stand up bass is fuckin' groove if I ever heard one. After the show, I walked right past Master Shake and a girl in Plano riot gear on my way out. Even got a picture of Master Shake Guy from a few feet away before Health started up.

In closing, fuck the assholes during the Ghosts intermission that kept screaming "this isn't real music" and one guy who kept doing death metal growls. My only real complaint is the redneck fucks and the people who moshed during songs like the Greater Good. Seriously, what the fuck?

letting you

discipline

march of the pigs

head down

the frail / closer

gave up

the warning

the great destroyer

ghosts ?

ghosts ?

ghosts ?

ghosts piggy