Which console is for you?

TMM

Which console is the best?  

128 members have voted

1. 1. Which console is the best?

• PlayStation3
    • Wii
    • X-Box 360

Some questions as my birthday is coming up and I think I want to buy a xbox 360...

I noticed that they have three different versions of the xbox 360 including the Arcade version that is only 256 mb, the regular version which has 20 gb, and the elite with 120 gb. Which version should I get?

Also, how much is xbox live?

If you've got the money, go for the Elite, because of the HDD. You don't really need that much space, but it's nice to have, instead of needing it later and having to spend $200 extra. I think it comes with a free month of Gold on LIVE, as well...

With LIVE, it's a matter of how long you want a Gold membership. Silver is free, but you can't play online with it. Australian GAME are doing a 12-month deal for $99...

Edited by Kryptonite3d

If you've got the money, go for the Elite, because of the HDD. You don't really need that much space, but it's nice to have, instead of needing it later and having to spend $200 extra. I think it comes with a free month of Gold on LIVE, as well...

With LIVE, it's a matter of how long you want a Gold membership. Silver is free, but you can't play online with it. Australian GAME are doing a 12-month deal for $99...

One thing that is worth bearing in mind is that all premiums built before the Elite came out did NOT have the HD socket so if you went for premium it would be worth checking that it was a model that has been built SINCE the Elite and therefore has that. Also the Elite has been built so that there is a better build quality with a larger gap between the chips and heatsynchs meaning that it is less likely to overheat, break and three red light. At work we still get plenty of 360s back in faulty but very few of those are Elites and those are rarely for three red light issues....Although bear in mind it still happens.

If you wanted to go online it's not worth getting the Core (or Arcade as it's now bundled in the UK) as you need a hard drive to play online anyway.

Ultimately youwouldn't be missing out with a premium as long as it's the latest model. Ask in the store to check.

Since the internet is confusing me:

* What's the status of the 80GB PS3 potentially coming to the UK?

* What are the differences (besides capacity, of course) between the 80GB and 40GB models anyway, since I've read some vague things about memory card readers, number of USB sockets etc.?

I don't think anyone knows about the first question apart from "maybe". Although I gather PS3 sales have picked up since they switched to the cheaper 40Gb model, so I'm not sure re-introducing a more expensive model would be in their best interests.

And your second question:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playstation_3..._configurations

It annoys me, you see, because from where I stand the 40GB version seems half-arsed and I'm unlikely to care much about price when I get my bonus in June and MGS4 is sitting in its shininess on the high street shelves.

Bah.

I kept mine around anyway, and I'm glad that I did. Backwards compatibility isn't perfect, or in fact, anywhere near perfect. Most of the games I play (read: Final Fantasy) have minor issues with it that bug me until I give up and switch over to the PS2.

If you're that worried, but a new PS2 as a just-in-case.

On the subject of buying a 360, if at all possible see if you can get a look at the box before you buy. The latest models have superior chipsets which are much cooler which reduces the risk of RROD's and such.

Little guide here.

Okay.

So if I were to import, for the princely sum of $500 (circa £250 of 'real money'), what issues would I have to consider? Where should I buy it from? Would there be customs tax? Would it have connections that don't fit right? Will it explode in a fit of patriotic American glory? What? :shifty:

I'd be wary of buying second hand at all myself, but I've not had a problem with my 60 GB console yet (aside from my cousin being an idiot).

It managed to survive my PS2 being dropped on it from a higher shelf in the TV unit and it still works fine. Take that for what you will.

The latest rumours are that the next UK version will be around 120-160gb purely because of the digital TV software that will be coming out for it that will allow your PS3 to function like a sky box to record TV (and then copy across onto PSP if desired). This is more likely than an 80gig model coming to the UK.