Which console is for you?

TMM

Which console is the best?  

128 members have voted

1. 1. Which console is the best?

• PlayStation3
    • Wii
    • X-Box 360

The graphics are identical for each version. Some versions, the framerates might be slightly better on the 360 or PS3 or lighting or something. By in large, though, games look the exact same.

1. What do you prefer about the 360 over the Ps3 and vice versa?

2. When there's a multiplatform title which system do you find yourself getting it for usually?

3. Do you use both equally or does one act as a glorified paperweight?

Other than that feel free to just throw some other reasons I would love a PS3.

360's online is far superior, at least in my mind. Granted, you have to pay for it, but it means that it's great. I prefer the 360 controllers over the PS3 controllers, too, but that's just something personal. The obvious for the PS3 is the blu-ray. I like the built-in wireless support, too. And actually being able to use the internet. It's more friendly for movies and stuff too, from what I've seen.

Really, though, if you have the money for a PS3, there's no reason not to get it. The PS3 has some solid exclusives, blu-ray, so on, so forth.

• Like 1

I think that earlier PS3 titles did have issues graphically when compared to 360 versions but I don't think it's a big issue now. I can't recall there been many cases as of late except for the PS3 version of Ghostbusters.

One day I should look into fixing my Dreamcast and finding some AV cables for it rather than the RF I have. That and I would need to obtain some more games since mine are either lost or in bad condition, specifically the cases.

One day I should look into fixing my Dreamcast and finding some AV cables for it rather than the RF I have. That and I would need to obtain some more games since mine are either lost or in bad condition, specifically the cases.

I think the Dreamcast's games are to easiest to "obtain."

Jet Grind Radio :wub:

And Sonic Adventure, which just pisses me off that they haven't made a decent Sonic game like that yet.

The 360 is the system of choice for me. Since getting my PS3 about a month ago I've been using it mostly for watching movies. I haven't had a game in it for a couple weeks now. Though I will be getting some non exclusive games for it but mainly it'll be used for movies and exclusives. The 360 has better online plus I know more people who have one and can play with them plus I'd rather have their exclusives like Gears of War and the GTA add ons.

These days if I have the option I'll do everything on the PS3.

- The games are essentially the same as those on the 360.

- Online is free.

- I prefer the controllers' shape, plus they don't need silly batteries/charger packs.

- It's a convenient all-in-one for DVD and Blu-ray playback.

- I can stick in a USB memory stick and play virtually all AVIs off it. I found the 360 to be pickier about which AVIs it did and didn't like, plus it's more of a pain to get to the USB slots (my memory stick was just a bit too wide to fit through the gap without needing some silly extension wire).

And so on.

To be fair, I don't own a PS3 but have played one one enough to probably give you a good idea of what's what.

And I'm not just being biased because my cousin fails at buying good games ¬_¬

For me it's the 360 controller, but it really depends on how big your hands are and if you're used to them. You should be able to find a shop that sells games nearby that lets you preview consoles on a display. Just work out which controller feels more 'fluent' with you.

There isn't THAT much difference over the both of them, the Xbox is a bit louder than the PS3 when it's running... but ultimately that depends on how big the room is that you're playing it in and how loud you've got the TV: I have my Xbox 360 in a cramped little room with paper thin walls so I can't turn the sound up enough to cancel out the noise, but most of the time you don't notice it due to the nature of immersive games.

I know that Xbox Live isn't free, but I decided to cancel it a few months ago and to be honest haven't noticed any difference. It only is worth it if you're going to be playing a lot with friends. I know that with the PS3 online is free if you ever want the option to play, but most new games come with 24 or 48 hour trials to Xbox live which is usually more than you will ever need if you're not THAT into online stuff.

I think the decider would be Blu-Rays, but it seems the smarter thing was always to wait a few years until Blu-Ray players were under £50 if you're not THAT into them. I'm waiting until the cheapest Blu-Rays hit about £5 before I start building up a collection in the future, because at the moment every retailer knows they can get away with charging that much ¬_¬

2. When there's a multiplatform title which system do you find yourself getting it for usually?

New 360 games used to be at least £10 cheaper than new PS3 games, but that seems to have become less of a problem now. PS3 games have a habit of really declining in price though. The fact that Xbox Marketplace updates 2 days sooner than the PS3 marketplace means that I can get Rock Band DLC a few days earlier... but I'm not sure if that'd be the decider for you :P

3. Do you use both equally or does one act as a glorified paperweight?

As I said, I don't have a PS3 at home, but I do play the PS3 a hell of a lot when I'm at my cousins. The only thing that annoys me is the L2 R2 buttons that I'm so used to just clicking like the PS2 controllers, that and the fact that my hands seem too big to play PS3 controllers and keep doing idiotic things.

I've probably seen more Blu-Rays on a PS3 than played games though. Don't get me wrong, the PS3 is probably the better multimedia device, but unless you have a TV big enough to notice the difference between DVDs and Blu-Rays it's probably better to wait a few years and pick one up cheaper for multimedia purposes ¬_¬

I still prefer the 360, but then again I'm likely to say that considering I bought it after weighing up decisions against either console

Which reminds me, whatever you want to get, you might want to look into Rock Band, which is not only a great party game but also a fun way of messing about with some music that you like, and doesn't seem to be different on either console. *Points you in the direction of Jackson 5 in Lego Rock Band* ¬_¬

Disclaimer: While I'm not as much of a fanboy as people think/guess/joke about, I have sided with the Playstation, PS2 and PS3 so make off that what you will. Also my experiences of playing 360 stem from playing it pretty much every day at work in Gamestation for over a year and then every week in Japan from going to cheap drinks and videogame night at a bar.

It's probably totally down to familiarity but I far prefer the controller for PS3. The weight it better, size is better, feel is better. I even prefer the convex nubs compared to the concave which people rave about on the 360 because I can place my thumbs on different parts of the nub as opposed to it gravitating to the centre all the time. I prefer the flat XOST buttons to the roundy nuggety ABXY 360. I prefer the shock, the ease of plugging it into the console to recharge and the pressure sensitivity of the PS3 buttons.

I prefer the way everything connects together with the PS3. I love how my PSP works so well with it to move stuff around, to play the PS1 games through the PS3 onto the PSP, how I can look at pictures, music, use the superior internet browser of the PS3 through the PSP when I'm in another room. I like how the charge cable is multipurpose to charge and link different things.

I prefer the cleanliness of the PS3 system. I'm sure the 360 is easier to move around in once you know but the crossbar is lovely and clean and clear.

Stupidly I love how the games come in Blu-Ray size cases. It looks more up to date and makes 360 games cases look last-gen. PS1 came up with their square cases, PS2 introduced the DVD-size for gaming and PS3 ran with the Blu-Ray. They look better on the shelf and it means the cover art is better spaced and again, seems cleaner.

I prefer how the PS3 looks on a shelf next to other electricals. It doesn't look out of place like 360s look when I see them in other peoples' houses.

I prefer the fact that when I accidentally knocked me (at the time) on end PS3 over it didn't break it or scratch the game to hell....Compare that to 360s......

I like the fact that the discs are more scratch resistant (they seriously are).

I hear the 360 store is better and from the sounds of it probably is. PS3's remodel made it better than it was and the introduction of points cards is good although I've been very happy using a debit card all set up through it so I can buy stuff and add funds with a single click.

Basically I just love the way the PS3 interfaces with stuff. How I can just assume stuff with plug into it, that stuff will talk to it, that stuff works on it....And it does.

There's a few 360 games I feel I've missed out on by having a PS3 - namely Viva Pinata (heh), Fable 2 and a couple of others. Gears of War isn't my thing but is a big selling point for some people. Never played a Halo game in my life and Left For Dead was fun enough multiplayer but got a bit samey after a couple of very fun and slightly confusing evenings.

I prefer the colour scheme and tint that the PS3 seems to put onto games compared to the 360. 360 tends to be brighter, PS3 tends to be subtler with an ever-so-slightly blue tint in some games. It's gorgeous. Again, personal preference.

Thanks(?) to my time at Gamestation and cheaper games in Japan I own 35 PS3 games which is terrifying. Of those 15 are PS3 only and then I have downloaded games like Wipeout which are PS3 only and also awesome (like Last Guy!)

Apparantly some later ports from 360 suck though. Bioshock came out ok but FEAR was awful and Orange Box and Lost Planet were sketchy. I think it depends on how the game was developed as the PS3 is well known to be tricky to develop for.

• Like 1