Which console is for you?

TMM

Which console is the best?  

128 members have voted

1. 1. Which console is the best?

• PlayStation3
    • Wii
    • X-Box 360

XBox 360 is to get a price drop across Europe starting on Friday. In the UK the models will cost:

Xbox 360 Elite - £259.99 down from £299.99

Xbox 360 Premium - £199.99 down from £249.99

Xbox 360 Arcade - £159.99 down from £199.99

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/858/858025p1.html

Cool that this actually happened. There's been rumours the past few days of price cuts in europe. It seems Amazon adopted the new prices but promptly put them back up to the old ones

• 1 month later...

So I may be getting one today, an XBox360 that is, and everywhere seems to have sold out of Premium's. Now, what I'm wondering is... if I get the Arcade; can I get a 20gb hardrive for it and go online and it be all good?

Also, with the Arcade, how likely to they RROD (as a guesstimate)? Other info would be cool too ;)

AFAIK, the Arcade's are no more prone to RROD than the Premiums. I don't think I've ever heard anything that would suggest otherwise either, the only difference between the two models aren't the interior gubbins - it's lack of HD etc.

If you've got the money, go for the Elite, because of the HDD. You don't really need that much space, but it's nice to have, instead of needing it later and having to spend $200 extra. I think it comes with a free month of Gold on LIVE, as well...

With LIVE, it's a matter of how long you want a Gold membership. Silver is free, but you can't play online with it. Australian GAME are doing a 12-month deal for $99...

Thanks for the fast reply... I finally found the price on the Xbox Live and it is 49.99 US for 12 months so that is doable for sure.

As for the difference between Elite and the regular all I can really tell is the 100 GBs and some Digital AV cable. I mean how much GBs does it really take?

The only difference these days between the Elite and the normal "Pro System" is like you said one has 20gb memory, other one has 120 gb. They both now have a HDMI cable, which means you can play on HD quality with both, the only other difference is that the Elite is black. Now I bought an Xbox 360 two days ago and I did a lot of research before I bought it. At first I was set on buying the Elite but damn it's a lot of money, just for 100gb more, so I eventually ended up buying the 20gb version (white looks better in my room anyways) and I really think it'll take you months if not years to fill 20gb if you are efficient (delete demos after you've completed them etc), but if you ever do need more memory, just buy some extra memory and then it's still cheaper than buying an Elite. Both come with one month X-Box live.

So I may be getting one today, an XBox360 that is, and everywhere seems to have sold out of Premium's. Now, what I'm wondering is... if I get the Arcade; can I get a 20gb hardrive for it and go online and it be all good?

Also, with the Arcade, how likely to they RROD (as a guesstimate)? Other info would be cool too ;)

I wouldn't get an Arcade because if you are going to get a 20gb harddrive you might as well buy the 20gb version. I don't know how likely the Arcade can get the RROD but I'd guess it's the same likeliness as for every X-Box 360 version. My 360 suddenly showed red rings the day I bought it, so I freaked out, checked the cables, and it worked again. I've read a lot of 360's have been send for repair for nothing; people simply didn't connect the cables properly. But my advice is just buy the 20gb system, it saves you a lot of trouble (having to buy 20gb extra etc).

I think both of you want to have GTA4 when you buy the 360 like I did. I got a one month free xbox live gold membership with GTA, and like I said earlier you also get a month free when you buy a 360, so that means two months free X-Box live in total. Pretty cool hah? :w00t:

Fair enough, and would it be advisable to get one of them cooling tray thingies?

Also, how much is a 20gb hardrive >_>?

Cooling tray thingies? Never heard of them. Think you don't really need them, provided that you give the 360 enough space to breath.

Edited by Lt. Quasi

Don't put any sort of external cooling unit on your 360. They are actually prone to blocking the proper vents and not expelling the air properly, and they don't even really have much of an effect in the first place. People adding internal cooling hasn't even been proven effective. The 360 just needs room around it to let air out properly.

And as said, design wise all of the 360 models are generally the same. Albeit models made after August of last year have different components inside that allow it to work better and are supposed to help prevent the RRoD further. You have to check the packaging as they are very slightly different from older models (namely the Premiums that are now HDMI enabled). The Arcade though already has the new stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

So next week i'm recieving £250 and im kinda in a predicament over which console to buy. I've seen a pretty good deal on a Wii (Including Sonic game and Wii Sports) for £179.99, or an XBox 360 Arcade for £149.99. Trouble is the money that i'll have left will have to last me for another fortnight. With the Wii, the positives include getting games included which will keep me entertained until the next wage when i will be able to afford Mario Kart, which is one of the only reasons i'd be buying the console in the first place but on the flipside there's a serious lack of games that interest me and i'd only really be entertained with the multiplayer, so eventually it would probably just be an ornament.

With the XBox, the console itself is cheaper, but there are no games included and i wont be able to realistically afford any until the next time i get paid (3 weeks time). Grand Theft Auto IV and XBox live are the main reasons i would be buying it, but eventually I would have to fork out more money on a harddrive, XBox live subscription fees and various other things to get the maximum XBox 360 experience.

It may appear that i'm answering my own question and swinging slightly towards the 360, but i'm curious as to what you would do if faced with a similar situation. (Feel free to promote the PS3 if you think that might be a better option, but i hadn't considered it at this stage)

Edited by Smitherman

• 2 weeks later...
I have played all three consoles and I would say that the 360 is the best. It is practically the same as a PS3 except the PS3 is around £80 more expensive and most of my mates have an Xbox. So for online play it is much better than playing with random people.

Oh yes, they are exactly the same console except for the labels. I own a 360 and Wii but am open to getting a PS3 when some more PS3 exclusive games come out. Did you just completely forget that PS3 supports BluRay while 360 supported HD (which you need to buy the HD player to actually view hi-def movies)?

After playing the 360 and Wii I will say that the Wii just doesn't work out entirely well for me and I've had my share of 360 problems, but 360 has more upside for me as a gamer than the Wii. I've only played PS3 demos at Best Buy but when more games come out it will be added to my collection, but that won't be in the very near future unless I have 500 dollars to blow.

• 1 month later...

So, I'm looking into getting a 360. Someone explain to me why I should shill out $300 for a new Pro when I could get a used regular 360 for $180(these prices are going by the Gamestop website, which doesn't include a used 360 Pro).

Also, while I have your attention, are all XBox games compatible with the 360?

The only and one of the main reasons I would shill out a lot of money for a new 360 rather than a used one is that if it's an older model, it may be one of the many older CPUs that tend to go towards the Three Red Lights of Death. That would mean shilling out more money if the used one you buy doesn't include a warranty that works for it. The newer ones also are supposed to be quiet and generate less heat, so that would be worth considering.

Not all of the old Xbox games are available, but there is a website that lists all of the games that are compatible with the 360. Click here for Xbox games that are compatible with the 360. They are also releasing many old games on XBLA, which is pretty neat as well.

Hope that helps.

• 1 year later...

I didn't want to make a whole new thread so I'll just ask here.

With the recent price drop in the PS3 I was thinking about picking one up, but I'm not sure I really "need" one.

Instead of jumping into the Sony thread and trying to get won over I kinda would like the opinion of people who have both systems.

1. What do you prefer about the 360 over the Ps3 and vice versa?

2. When there's a multiplatform title which system do you find yourself getting it for usually?

3. Do you use both equally or does one act as a glorified paperweight?

Other than that feel free to just throw some other reasons I would love a PS3.

The thing I like most about PS3 is the online is free. But all of my friends are on Xbox Live, so that renders that pointless. If a game is on both platforms (most recently Madden 10), I'll get it on the 360, because I play mainly online. It's a matter of if there is a particular list of games you want for the PS3, if there isn't, it's not worth it. I got my PS3, because a friend bought it, hated it, and basically gave it to me. If it weren't for that, I'd be completely happy with my 360.