The Anime Thread

Ruki

Has anyone watched Great Teacher Onizuka? I'm really enjoying it thus far.

GTO is the shit. If you're watching it dubbed, you can pretty much never listen to anything voiced by Steven Blum without getting confused again. It's one of my absolute favorites. 

I wasn't watching it dubbed, but I just finished it. Wow. Why they didn't keep going like the mangas? :(

DBZ would have been so bilariously awkward if Goku had continued his habit from DB of getting naked and prodding peoples genitals.

:o No balls!

Bulma, you lost your balls!

• Like 1

DBZ would have been so bilariously awkward if Goku had continued his habit from DB of getting naked and prodding peoples genitals.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The movies play out differently.  Movie 2 is fantastic, but Movie 3 is The Phantom Menace of anime.  Anno has basically re-written the ending three times now.  The series was the most important anime of the 90s and completely transformed what people thought you could do with the medium.  Sci-fi before and sci-fi after are remarkably different.  So with that perspective it helps to go back and watch the series, then watch End of Evangelion which redoes the ending, then go and watch the Rebuilds which redo most of the series.  That's a lot of time commitment for sure, but if you just have to pick one do the series.  It does deal with serious budgetary constraints towards the end, and the Rebuilds are basically done on an unlimited budget, so the Rebuilds are definitely prettier.

Edited by alex morgdam
  • Like 1

You might wanna check out the manga at some point too. They hit on some stuff more and the ending is completely different. 

I've seen the series a few times over but it's been many years since I have watched it. Was just reading about all the new stuff and whether it was worth it or not or just stick to the original.

In that case it's worth watching the Rebuilds, again Movie 2 is amazing.  I remember watching it and going "I need more, just give me more" and then... well...

Seeing the trailer for DBZ Resurrection: F made me want to watch all of DBZ. So I got every season, and the movies too. Finished season 1, on season 2 already. It's a lot less annoying than it used to be, I used to hate waiting for the next episode when I watched 'em on TV as a kid.

Now I can blast through loads of episodes of a time. I got audio tracks of both English dubs too (and the original Japanese), which is cool.