The Anime Thread

Ruki

1 hour ago, Cloudy said:

Also, shit, @damshow, what was that one anime we were watching that was about music? I can't remember the title. It's a really great show, heartbreaking sad pretty often - if you want to feel like being punched in the stomach without actually being punched, watch it. It's a slower paced drama/romance ordeal. 

Was it Your Lie in April? I've read wonderful things about it, but still haven't been able to watch it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cloudy said:

I mean I don't know how you gave up on Bebop but okay. 

Code Geass is my go-to, it's a sci-fi / dystopian / mecha anime set in an alternate universe, where England rules much of the world and has subjugated Japan and designated it "Area 11". It's about a British prince who obtains a power called "geass" - specifically, his allows him to basically mind control people - and he uses it to start a rebellion against the Holy Britannian Empire. Things take off from there.

There's also Silver Spoon, which is a slice of life comedy series about a teenager who moves from the suburbs to go to an agricultural high school in rural Japan. It's got some romance elements as well, and it's a really cute series. 

Also, shit, @damshow, what was that one anime we were watching that was about music? I can't remember the title. It's a really great show, heartbreaking sad pretty often - if you want to feel like being punched in the stomach without actually being punched, watch it. It's a slower paced drama/romance ordeal. 

Your Lie in April, it's fantastic. Another fantastic anime from the last year+ is Parasyte.

Right now though it's all about One Punch Man, hopefully everybody is watching it.

3 hours ago, Ruki said:

If you want something less fanservice-y, Gurren Lagann. If you want lots of action with a really dumb (but somehow it works concept)...Ben-To. 

Yoko does take up a lot of screentime though.

• Like 1

Is 'Dragon' a word misused by translators or something? I notice in alot of Manga things get called dragons when they in no way look or are described like a dragon. Like in the current Manga I'm reading

S96yV2jl.jpg

That is a "dragon". I don't even think it's a thing where the Japanese have a completely different idea of dragons because you do see plenty of actual dragons in anime too.

290316-ep_1.26.png

shenron-1.jpg

blue-eyes_white_dragon_2_e2273_16075494.

Edited by Kirkland

1 hour ago, Big Hairy Man Face said:

Over the half way point for Attack on Titan. Very good so far, though I really can't see where things are going - can only be a good thing really.

Those of us who have been reading it still can't figure out where it's going. It's kept up its intrigue well beyond the ending point of the anime.

5 minutes ago, damshow said:

Those of us who have been reading it still can't figure out where it's going. It's kept up its intrigue well beyond the ending point of the anime.

I think that is one of the things that confused me a little. Considering I'm assuming there needs to be 'an ending' of sorts, yet the story continues past the anime, means I don't really know how they can wrap it up but still leaving it open enough.

Just now, Big Hairy Man Face said:

I think that is one of the things that confused me a little. Considering I'm assuming there needs to be 'an ending' of sorts, yet the story continues past the anime, means I don't really know how they can wrap it up but still leaving it open enough.

It's told in arcs, so they wrap up the story arc and give you a little bit of a cliffhanger. AoT 2 actually starts airing next year so it'll pick up where the show leaves off. This is very common in anime, you still get some shows that get 100+ episode commitments but those are adaptations of only the the best-selling manga where they know it'll make money. Nobody knew AoT would become as big as it has when the anime was first made, so the show was only lined up for 2 cours (13-week seasons basically). I think the new series is going to be another 2 cours, but I suspect it's popular enough where once the manga wraps up the anime will have adapted all of it.

Think of it like waiting for the next season of a popular TV show, only with anime you might be waiting longer than the summer.

On 12/13/2015 at 22:11, Ruki said:

I have been lacking in my anime watching lately....but I'm about 7 episodes into Rokka- Braves Of The Six Flowers and it's pretty good.

And Assassination Classroom season 2 comes out next month!

And just finished the 5 other episodes the past two nights. My thoughts...

Another anime that is going for a second season. Come on! Can't we just have a one and done?

I like the reveal of who the fake was and I think that the next season will be a lot more action-y. BUT! I do not like that they brought in another fake Brave right at the end. Like, we did this for 11 episodes (or was it 10?), can we not do this again? But I think I can understand why they did it, since '6 heroes, 7 show up, 1 is fake, dun dun dun' was kind of the hook to get the people into the show, so they gotta keep it going.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2015 at 21:24, Rafael said:

Kuroko no Basket is so good. I need more. MORE.

Yeah it was such a fun sports anime, really started the trend of the genre bringing in female fans and as a result led to the present where sports anime are some of the most popular going. It's a solid 3 seasons so you've got plenty to watch. Haikyuu! and Yowamushi Pedal are also great recent sports anime.

3 hours ago, damshow said:

Yeah it was such a fun sports anime, really started the trend of the genre bringing in female fans and as a result led to the present where sports anime are some of the most popular going. It's a solid 3 seasons so you've got plenty to watch. Haikyuu! and Yowamushi Pedal are also great recent sports anime.

I watched a couple of episodes from Haikyuu and I felt that it was much more polarized in terms of character compared to Kuroko, didn't like that much. I'll try Yowamushi Pedal though.

Seeing the last few print SJ's made me sad. They were like a third of the size of the older ones I have. Did the size go back up when it went digital?