The Anime Thread

Ruki

I'm catching up on Detective Conan/Case Closed and one of my favorite sub-plots is the budding relationship between inspectors Takagi and Sato. It's the kind of relationship in which both people have feelings for one another but both are afraid to admit it for several reasons. Takagi usually can't muster the courage to say the right words at the right time and Sato is still dealing with the fact that another police officer she was in love with was killed on duty. What I dislike about it is that almost the entire police station (save for Sato's best friend and traffic policewoman Yumi who is trying to set Sato and Takagi up and commissioner Megure who seems to be unaware of the relationship) is trying to sabotage their relationship because they all have a crush on her and apparently they've reached the consensus that if one of them can't be with her nobody can. And they go to great lengths to sabotage their relationship. At one point 30 of them take a day off to surveil Tagaki and Sato while they are on a date and even try to steal the ring that Takagi bought for Sato (he never proposes to hear because they get mixed up in a drug deal and he loses the ring in the process), It's all very lighthearted, played for laughs and in the end the saboteurs appear so be unsuccessful but still I find it obnoxious.

Edited by Hellraiser

So, I'm reading the Yu-Gi-Oh manga. They're on their way to Duelist Kingdom. I come across a page that strikes me as...off.

Screenshot_2017-09-09-06-03-07.png

I looked up their ages. Mai is supposed to be 24. Rex is supposed to be 15. She's talking about banging a teenage boy if he wins a game against her. I know she's confident she can win but Jesus Christ that's a bet to make.

• 2 weeks later...

Detective Conan/Case Closed will have 875 episodes by the end of September. It has been on the air since 1996 and the manga it is based on is published since 1994. There has been a movie made every year since 1997 (but I don't think that they are canon. They are never brought up in the anime). And yet, after 875 episodes, 21 movies and 95 volumes of the manga, I couldn't tell you a damn thing about the Black Organization other than some of the people who are part of it, that they developed a poison that shrinks you instead of killing you and that they once tried to recruit several programmers to develop some kind of software for them for some reason. They are the main antagonists of this anime and after more than 20 years we still know next to nothing about them. I get that you want to keep your readership/viewership in suspense but after more than 20 years you'd think that we would at least know what their goal is that they are working towards.

Edit:

Spoiler

And the fun just never ends. After having us guess who of the three new characters they introduced ages ago is the organization member codenamed "Bourbon" they're pulling this shit again. This time it is about figuring out who the second-in-command of the organization codenamed "Rum" is.

Edited by Hellraiser

So the most recent episode of DC/CO has dropped.

Spoiler

Momiji Ooka? Really? Of all the movie-only characters they could introduce to the manga and Anime they choose her? After 20 years worth of Anime and Manga they finally got to the point where Heiji Hattori is finally ready to admit the feelings he has for Kazuah and confess his love to her and they really feel the need to throw another wrench into the works?

Most recent Manga chapters:

Spoiler

So the organization finally found out that Shinichi is alive (if any of these 3 new characters actually turns out to be Rum. I wouldn't put it past Aoyama to reveal that none of these 3 Rum) and they finally acknowledged that in the times of social media it isn't enough anymore to simply tell the press and police to keep quite about Shinichi's involvement in cases. I hope this will put the gears in motion for the finale and that we won't get filler anymore that don't advance the plot of the Black Organization.

What I'm not looking forward to is Masumi's and Mary's plot to kidnap Haibara. I don't understand why they are sceptical of Conan. Like what more has this kid to do to prove to them that he is on their side? I also don't get why Shuichi can't just reveal himself to them, tell them that Haibara is on their side and explain to them that kidnapping her is pointless because the antidote that she managed to create only works temporarily. Like this whole sub-plot could be over within a chapter or episode if they would all simply be honest with eachother.

And Run and Shinichi finally kiss. Well, it is just a kiss on the cheek from Ran to Shinichi but still.

Last but not least. Momiji. Ugh. As stated above I hope they get this subplot over with quickly.

On 09/09/2017 at 11:09, =BK= said:

So, I'm reading the Yu-Gi-Oh manga. They're on their way to Duelist Kingdom. I come across a page that strikes me as...off.

Screenshot_2017-09-09-06-03-07.png

I looked up their ages. Mai is supposed to be 24. Rex is supposed to be 15. She's talking about banging a teenage boy if he wins a game against her. I know she's confident she can win but Jesus Christ that's a bet to make.

They didn't really try to hide it in th Anime either did they? 

IIRC in the anime she offers a kiss not "Whatever you want all night long".

Yes, nationally anyway but most prefectures have their own laws setting it at 16-18.

It wasn't really a legit bet Mai made anyways, she rigged the deck with perfumes so she could identify the cards Rex drew and played. Still a flimsy strategy logic wise, since you can't account for the randomness of a shuffled deck, but it's fiction for a reason in that regard.

Also, Mai's entire character was about her using her overt promiscuity to distract her opponents so she could take advantage of mistakes they made. At the same time, Rex (and his mate Weevil) were portrayed as a bit sex obsessed (anime trope #12312).

Basically just anime/manga delivering on expectations, really.

Oh like I said, she knew she would win because it was rigged but there's always a chance to fuck up. I guess maybe had she messed up she would have just physically kicked him out of the room like she did in the end anyway. It's just that's a heavy bet to make. like, someone overhears that there's a chance it all goes bad. 

The next Detective Conan/Case Closed chapter is out:

Spoiler

And it is a Detective Boys treasure hunt chapter! Because who cares about progressing the main plot that has been going on for over 23 years when instead you can waste time on another filler case? To be fair, at the beginning of the case they do show the consequences of Shinishi's involvement in the last case being spread over social media (fans and press besiege his house and a couple characters who may or may not be involved with the Black Organization take an interest in Shinichi as well). The question is if that will actually lead to something or if they will somehow find a easy way out to maintain the status quo

Also Ran and Shinichi are officially a couple now. Finally! :D

Edited by Hellraiser

Mega-Spoilers for Dragon Ball Super in Japan. If you're just watching the dub DO NOT OPEN

Spoiler

AHHHHH! THAT WAS AMAZING!

I'm so glad they didn't just give Goku Super Sayian Blue 2. This technique that the gods know and fear is much more interesting. The idea of Goku taking in the Spirit Bomb is a cool idea that was only played with in the past for like a minute in a non-cannon movie. The design of the form is awesome too. I never liked the blue and red forms. They were bad fanart for so long that the looks were tainted and looked like wank. Basic black or classic gold are the iconic looks for Goku.

Also, even though she's just a side character I love the little bit of character development for the character that mocks Sailor Moon(I can't remember how to spell her name). All throughout this thing she's been presented by her side as a pure, heroic warrior of love. It's a very Sailor Moon/Magical Girl thing to genuinely fight in the name and defense of love. They turn it here though with the reveal of the wish she wants. She wants to become a god so she can make everyone in every universe love her. She's not a defender of the idea of love or a fighter for other's love she's just an egotist that wants what makes her feel good with no one else mattering and she's hidden it in the idea of "Fighting for love".

I honestly can't stand Ribrianne, I tolerated her well enough for her first appearance or so, but I feel her shtick (and her team's) got really old, really fast.

The latest developments in the last couple of episodes were amazing, and I feel this fight was the best I've seen in Super. 

Does anyone else feel that this isn't a transformation, per se, but just a new state that Goku's achieved? I feel that if so, if he was in his base form while in that state and could take the fight to Jiren, he could feasibly turn SSJ while in that state and become even more powerful... that would be a sight to behold. I'm probably completely wrong though, hah. Also, add me to the "never really liked the SSJ Blue thing" camp, or SSJ God for that matter. I also don't care that they basically forgot SSJ3 exists, even in this fight, when he was testing Jiren, he changed into every form except for SSJ3.

Oh, and one other thing regarding Super... I'm really glad Gohan has FINALLY been getting some love in this latest arc. At the end of the fight against Buu, he was the strongest non-fusion character in the show (yes, I said it, he was more powerful than Goku, he was kicking Super Buu's ass until Buu absorbed Gotenks; that Buu was a lot stronger than Kid Buu) and he was completely dumbed down for most of this series. However, seeing him get his mojo back was great, and seeing him face Goku head-on and forcing Goku to go SSJ Blue + Kaioken x20 to beat him? Damn, that felt good. Hopefully after this arc they keep him at least this powerful.

Edited by Johnny Latino Heat