The Anime Thread

Ruki

Just now, Johnny Latino Heat said:

I honestly can't stand Ribrianne, I tolerated her well enough for her first appearance or so, but I feel her shtick (and her team's) got really old, really fast.

The latest developments in the last couple of episodes were amazing, and I feel this fight was the best I've seen in Super. 

Hide contents

Does anyone else feel that this isn't a transformation, per se, but just a new state that Goku's achieved? I feel that if so, if he was in his base form while in that state and could take the fight to Jiren, he could feasibly turn SSJ while in that state and become even more powerful... that would be a sight to behold. I'm probably completely wrong though, hah. Also, add me to the "never really liked the SSJ Blue thing" camp, or SSJ God for that matter. I also don't care that they basically forgot SSJ3 exists, even in this fight, when he was testing Jiren, he changed into every form except for SSJ3.

Oh, and one other thing regarding Super... I'm really glad Gohan has FINALLY been getting some love in this latest arc. At the end of the fight against Buu, he was the strongest non-fusion character in the show (yes, I said it, he was more powerful than Goku, he was kicking Super Buu's ass until Buu absorbed Gotenks; that Buu was a lot stronger than Kid Buu) and he was completely dumbed down for most of this series. However, seeing him get his mojo back was great, and seeing him face Goku head-on and forcing Goku to go SSJ Blue + Kaioken x20 to beat him? Damn, that felt good. Hopefully after this arc they keep him at least this powerful.

Spoiler

The gods seemed to imply it was a godly state of being, not anything to do with being a Sayian. I'm still waiting for an explanation of what the fuck kind of thing Trunks was using to fight Black near the end of that arc.

I don't think they forgot SSJ3. It's been said before that 3 is just a huge power drain that was only effective when Goku was dead and had a body not bound by physical rules. This whole fight Goku has been doing things to avoid wasting his energy, only activating Blue when needed. It'd stand to reason he'd skip 3. This isn't like when he was testing Beerus or Trunks, there's actually something on the line here.

And Gohan absolutely was the strongest character at the end of Z. Toriyama has said so. The gap between them now is just a consequence of their personalities being different. Goku is driven to fight and get stronger. It's his purpose in life. Gohan's isn't even if he has the potential to be stronger.  It's shown that he'll bunker down and fight when there's a reason like when the androids were running the earth down or when Buu had killed everyone but when there's no current reason he relaxes. In some ways, him not being driven by a love of fighting makes him better than Goku and in some it makes him not as good. Better because he won't give these monsters they fight chances to recover or get on even footing to make a fun fight. He's just there to end a threat.  "FIght you? No, I want to kill you." sums that up. He's not as good because his lack of drive makes him slack off and not be as strong as needed when the time comes. That's kinda why I preferred his GT character for a bit even if he didn't do much. When he fought possessed Goten it showed that even though he was a scholar he was still the strongest non-Goku being on earth.

Dragon Ball Super

Spoiler

Hit vs Jiren might be my favorite fight from Super. I've honestly felt a lot of the fights have been lame with just a bunch of screaming and rapid punches back and forth (Seriously, go watch Goku vs Vegeta from DBZ then nearly any Super fight for comparison) but this actually had technique variety and a plan to it. 

On 10/15/2017 at 20:43, Your Cloud And Mine said:

Shokugeki No Soma: The Third Plate started. Had no idea, they're up to 2 episodes in the season right now. 

I'm gonna give it another week or two, then start.

I also wanna start watching Gamers. 

Also! My Hero Academia's season has ended, and it's still such a fantastic show. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dragon Ball Super talk

Spoiler

I like Caulifla's personality and her design but I hate how she's flying through Super Sayian forms. Cabba is going fast too but at least he has reasons. To get SSJ 1 Goku had to see his best friend explode, Vegeta had to have his ego shattered, Gohan had to to avoid death by Kamehameha, Trunks had to find his dead mentor and Cabba had to believe his planet was going to be destroyed. She just has to focus energy in her back. To get SSJ 2 Gohan had to realize the limit of his personal beliefs on violence in the face of a monster, Goku had to train in the afterlife for years, Vegeta had to abandon his humanity, Trunks had to fight to stop the end of his world and Cabba had to when he was on the edge of defeat and his friends were being threatened in an existence ending situation. She just needed a showcase from Goku to copy.

On 31/10/2017 at 09:34, =BK= said:

Dragon Ball Super talk

Hide contents

I like Caulifla's personality and her design but I hate how she's flying through Super Sayian forms. Cabba is going fast too but at least he has reasons. To get SSJ 1 Goku had to see his best friend explode, Vegeta had to have his ego shattered, Gohan had to to avoid death by Kamehameha, Trunks had to find his dead mentor and Cabba had to believe his planet was going to be destroyed. She just has to focus energy in her back. To get SSJ 2 Gohan had to realize the limit of his personal beliefs on violence in the face of a monster, Goku had to train in the afterlife for years, Vegeta had to abandon his humanity, Trunks had to fight to stop the end of his world and Cabba had to when he was on the edge of defeat and his friends were being threatened in an existence ending situation. She just needed a showcase from Goku to copy.

I'm trying to rationalize that by thinking that since they are from another universe, the saiyans there evolved differently and are able to achieve SSJ status alot easier. That way, I can stay sane 

<_<

Also, I blind bought My Hero Academia's first season blu-ray. I had been hearing about it for a long time, I really liked the edition, and since I like to collect blu-rays and DVDs (it's one of my hobbies...), I took the dip. Holy crap, am I in love with the series. I immediately looked up for season 2, watched it, and am now in the process of reading the manga to prepare myself for the eventual season 3.

Edited by Johnny Latino Heat
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Lars Kuyt said:

Dragon Ball Super:

Hide contents

Soo 

Caulifa and Kale are going to fuse soon right? Right?

Yes. Apparently with the Potara earrings, if the spoiler images are any indication. I believe it will happen in tonight's episode.

I couldn't, for the life of me, fighre out how the hell to edit the above post so as to be able to write under the damn spoiler tag, so I have to create a new one. Hope that's OK.

So, having just watched the latest DBS episode, I have to ask, did the animation studio change or something? I noticed some real improvements in the animation at times, especially in the faces, during the fights. The way the faces were animated really reminded me of the animation used during the Cell Saga in DBZ. I really liked it, though.

As for the content of the episode itself...

I dunno what to think about Kefla being so powerful she can, according to next episode's title, defeat Goku at SSJB. Then again, power levels are all over the place in DBS and especially in the Tournament of Power, so...

• Like 1

The animation varied wildly in DBZ too. This week was probably just done by one of the better animators.

1382900873539471905.png

1382900873771858465.png

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/animation-styles/

As for episode stuff

Spoiler

Kefla would be cool if this arc weren't already overstuffed with overpowered characters and if she were fighting an actual bad guy. I know Goku's weakened but there's no way she should be able to beat him using Blue and Kiaoken given what we've seen that combo can do. I'm guessing she'll lose by over powering the fusion and separating like blue Vegito did. Outside chance of Frieza doing the eliminating.

And back on the animation...there's some more details in the characters but the animation of fights is still kind of lazy and generic. Nothing even touches the gold standard fight yet.

Edit:Oh and the lack of blood hurts too. People get punched in the face and get thrown into rocks and they bleed. I'm not asking for buckets but a trickle on someone's head would go a long way.

Soo we will get a fused Goku and Vegeta right? Anyway I always thought you couldn't use stuff from the outside. And yes, the title of the new episode suggests they are going to be better than Goku in blue form. So will Goku activate Ultra Instinct again? That this is his way of getting strong in the tournament? And Freeza is still the best part of this tournament!

EDIT: Unless they rule the Potara Earrings as clothing.

45 minutes ago, Lars Kuyt said:
  Hide contents

Soo we will get a fused Goku and Vegeta right? Anyway I always thought you couldn't use stuff from the outside. And yes, the title of the new episode suggests they are going to be better than Goku in blue form. So will Goku activate Ultra Instinct again? That this is his way of getting strong in the tournament? And Freeza is still the best part of this tournament!

EDIT: Unless they rule the Potara Earrings as clothing.

Spoiler

Does the title not have a question mark?

Also Zeno threw out the item rule when he let Roshi use the jars for the Mafuba/Evil Containment Wave. If it's cool it's allowed.

13 hours ago, =BK= said:

The animation varied wildly in DBZ too. This week was probably just done by one of the better animators.

Oh, no, I remember perfectly the different animation during DBZ, that's why I mentioned the Cell Saga specifically, the way the faces were rendered during parts of this episode, particularly around the mouth and eyes, reminded me of the way they were during that string of episodes. To be honest, Super's animation style doesn't really do it for me, it took me a long time to get used to it, but now it's... passable to goodish.

I agree that the lack of blood hurts the show, it just doesn't feel the same.

Hey guys, remember me? GoGo Yubari? The dude who used to be The Anime Fan on EWB? I'm back on my bullshit, kind of!

I just finished season two of My Hero Academia. I liked it a lot! Even though it has by far my least favorite character in anime history in it! And even though the mangaka has said he explicitly relates to that horrible character, and you know that's true because also every adult female hero they've introduced thusfar has basically been defined by her looks! All the other characters are pretty good-to-great, and I love the way the villains have been built up. I'm not 100% sure on if I'm going to read the manga before season three but since there's probably like six months until the first episode of that drops, it seems likely to me that I will.

not sure what the next thing I watch is. I've basically gone from watching a ton of anime ten years ago to now, where I watch one series at a time. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, maybe? That's 116 episodes, though, so maybe I want something shorter.

• Like 2

HA HA IT'S FUNNY BECAUSE HE IS A CREEP

all the other kids are off shopping for clothes and he's shopping for lockpicks so he can act like a baby sexual predator!!!! WHAT A CARD

Yeah, Mineta's shtick gets really old really fast <_<

So as I've said before, I've been reading MHA's manga, I'm currently in chapter 102, and...

Holy shit, that fight between All Might and All For One. You know, this series is really making me feel like a kid again, when I was amazed at the hero comics and didn't know some of the recurring themes. For instance, when a hero dies in a comic book, be it Marvel or DC (which, apart from The Walking Dead, Invincible, TMNT, and a couple of others, are basically the only comics I read), I don't feel saddened because I know it'll be a matter of time before they get ressurrected in some way or another. I'll get annoyed, sure, but that sense of fear for the character's safety isn't there anymore. With this manga, it's different. Well, of course no one has actually died yet, but the way the manga is structured I feel that, if it does happen, there won't be a deux ex machina that brings them back. With that in mind, I was really fearful for All Might in this fight, as I love the character and didn't see how, in his weakened state, it would be possible for him to defeat All For One, who seemed incredibly powerful. When he did I almost jumped in joy, stupid as that seems.

To sum it up, this series makes me feel like I felt when I was a kid, and I can't thank the author enough. I also can't wait for the stuff I mentioned in the spoiler to get animated, hopefully in the third season.