The Anime Thread

Ruki

So I blind bought Your Lie in April as I had heard wonderful things about it, and from what I knew, it seemed like it would be a show I'd enjoy. The second set finally arrived wednesday and I started watching Friday, finishing the show yesterday, and I absolutely do not regret it in the least. Incredible show, I loved all the main characters, the story was funny, it was moving, it was tragic, and even though I'm not actually a fan of classical music, even the music segments were amazing.

Now if I could only get these fucking onions away from my eyes...

• Like 1

Thing that relates to my last DBS spoiler

Spoiler

:D

• 2 weeks later...

I'm watching The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya right now. How long will this time loop storyline last? I'm like 4 episodes into it right now and although the concept is intriguing seeing the same episode play out again and again with minor cosmetic differences is getting tedious.

Edited by Hellraiser

1 hour ago, Hellraiser said:

I'm watching The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya right now. How long will this time loop storyline last? I'm like 4 episodes into it right now and although the concept is intriguing seeing the same episode play out again and again with minor cosmetic differences is getting tedious.

IIRC, the arc is called Endless Eight, and it lasts 8 episodes.

47 minutes ago, Johnny Latino Heat said:

IIRC, the arc is called Endless Eight, and it lasts 8 episodes.

They really do this shit for 8 episodes? Why would they do that? What is gained by basically doing the same episode 8 times over? How does it make the arc better? I would love to see the thought process behind this because I just don't get it.

Edited by Hellraiser

1 minute ago, Hellraiser said:

They really do this shit for 8 episodes? Why would they do that? What's the point? I really enjoyed this show so far but this is just mind-boggingly stupid.

Yeah, it wasn't a very popular arc or decision. I mean, I've never read the books, and I'm sure that, in written form, it's completely different, but in animated form, it really misses the mark.

So I skipped to the end of the eight episode because there is no way in hell that I will watch the same episode another 4 times. I was expecting for Kyon to confess his love to Haruhi to break the loop because this is what Itsuki the esper suggests in every loop. Also they suggest that the reason for the loop is that Haruhi feels like she didn't make the most of her summer and I thought the thing that was missing from her list of things to do might be a summer romance. And I've been getting the impression that she might care more for Kyon than she lets on.

But that wasn't it at all. It was homework. Kyon suggests that they all help him do his homework that he hadn't done yet. Because apparently that is what makes Haruhi's summer experience whole. And she didn't think of it because she already did all her homework in the first three days of the summer break. There wasn't any real payoff to this mess. We didn't learn anything new abut Haruhi. We still have now idea about how she gained her powers and why she is so special. We didn't learn anything new about any of the other characters. They wasted 8 episodes out of a 14 episode season for nothing.

The makers of this show have to be the biggest trolls ever. Okay, maybe not Hideaki Anno-"The End of Evangelion"-big but still pretty big.

Edit: There are people who actually defend this bullshit because apparently it is a set-up for the storyline of the movie that was released after the anime finished. Yuki is the only character who can remember every of the over 15000 loops because she is the human form of some kind of god-like entity that somehow isn't bound to the rules of time and space. And therefore her memory isn't erased every time the loop starts again. So she went through the same 2 weeks over 15000 times. And that causes here to go crazy or something. It is monotonous by design and the point is to get us to share the plight of Yuki. I suppose that makes sense and it is kinda admirable that they go through these lengths to explore one of their characters. But I'd argue that the same effect could have been achieved without doing the same episode 8 times over. Especially if you take into account that in the light novel this anime is based only the last loop is covered.

Edited by Hellraiser

Yeah, I fucking HATED that arc....to the point that after season 2 was over? I didn't keep up with the series (I think there was one more season and a movie or two?), and that was after loving the first season.

Finished Konosuba last night. It's an enjoyable anime, but doesn't seem like it is getting a 3rd season, which is a shame because there is still story to be told. But in the end? Not the worst for it to end...I feel like they were starting to tread water with the jokes.

Liking gonna be watching My Hero Academia, Attack on Titan season 2 or Little Witch Acadimia next (the movie, followed by the series I believe is the right order)

On 5/30/2017 at 02:45, Ruki said:

Yeah, I fucking HATED that arc....to the point that after season 2 was over? I didn't keep up with the series (I think there was one more season and a movie or two?), and that was after loving the first season.

There was a movie based on a story arc in the light novel to which this Endless Eight bullshit serves as set-up. They also did a series of animated shorts released on Youtube in which the characters are animated all cutesy and in which elements of the Anime are parodied. It is sorta like Teen Titans Go if you're familiar with that. 

• 3 weeks later...

Holy shit you guys....My Hero Academia.

Just finished episode 23.

This show is just fantastic. The music is great, the characters are wonderful and colorful, and it has plenty of those goosebump inducing moments. You know the type of moments I'm talking about....

(#3 is still my favorite)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So last week was Attack on Titan's season 2 finale, and season 3 has been confirmed to air "sometime in 2018". Guess I've got Shokugeki no Soma episodes to look forward to starting hopefully next weekend. 

EDIT: Shokugeki's "sometime in the fall". Drat.

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 00:06, Ruki said:

Started Attack on Titan season 2 today. Episode one was pretty solid. I forgot how good the animation was.

Oh man. The wife and I watched another 3 last night. I'm enjoying season 2 a lot more than season 1.

So, I'm on Amazon looking at volumes of my favorite manga because I'd like to own physical copies. It's older and not super popular so they're dirt cheap. The first two volumes are a dollar or so. Volume three though?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01FIZ0COA/ref=sr_1_30_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1499027164&sr=8-30&keywords=Kodocha

What the fuck? Those better be autographed or something. There's a much more reasonable listing here

https://www.amazon.com/Kodocha-Sanas-Stage-Vol-3/dp/1931514526/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499028009&sr=8-1&keywords=Kodocha+vol+3

Every other volume is priced about the same.

I decided to just watch through Hunter x Hunter, I've watched the Hunter Trial arc previously, but now I'm into Greed Island and I think its just a great show.  I'm not a huge anime watcher so this is only the 5th one I'll have watched (Berserk, Attack on Titan, Deathnote and Full Metal Alchemist being the others).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is there a reason why Netflix only has Bleach episodes up till the end of the Soul Society arc?