The Anime Thread

Ruki

1 hour ago, Ruki said:

You should watch Food Wars. It's pretty enjoyable!

Also...your least favorite character...the little perverted shit who should be rocketed into the sun?

Shokugeki's great, but I do have to warn that there's a lot of fan service in it. A lot of Yukihara's food (and other competitors) is all "OH MY GOD IT'S SOOOOOO GOOD [clothes burst off, orgasmic noises]", though there's nothing outwardly explicit - lots of covered bits, though.

Question for anyone watching the Dragon Ball Super Dub: What arc is it on?

9 hours ago, =BK= said:

Question for anyone watching the Dragon Ball Super Dub: What arc is it on?

They just had Episode 39, which is in Champa/Beerus tournament thing. Pretty sure next episode is the ending of that arc, or close to.

Spoilered for... spoilery episode stuff?

Goku just brought back his Kaioken on top of the Super Saiyan Blue stuff.

The worst part of following the dub is that for some reason they still take weeks off with episodes, even though they're 60+ episodes behind.

19 hours ago, Jasonmufc said:

They just had Episode 39, which is in Champa/Beerus tournament thing. Pretty sure next episode is the ending of that arc, or close to.

Spoilered for... spoilery episode stuff?

Reveal hidden contents

The worst part of following the dub is that for some reason they still take weeks off with episodes, even though they're 60+ episodes behind.

Ah, thanks. I looked up some clips.

I really like Frost's voice. Not so sure on some of his dialogue.

I get what they were going for with Cabba. He is a typical anime protag so they grabbed one of those voices but I feel like they didn't go young enough.

Hit and Champa I do not like at all though. Something about Champa accent is off and I feel like Hit should have been more whispery. Maybe the sound quality of these clips are off or something though.

I don't know what to think of Cabba either. But that's mostly just a dissonance with how he is drawn which makes him look like he's from a different anime altogether. (Less 'detailed' if you will)

I don't know how Hitt sounds in the original va, but I don't mind him. Champa I guess they wanted to make annoying and abrasive.

I've been partly spoiled on what'll happen in the future, so i'm looking forward to that. But these first sagas have been pretty average, a nice entrée but it lacks any sort of stakes. The Frieza and Beerus stuff I already saw both in the feature films, and also in the original va (before I opted to wait for the dub).

It's all so whimsical, and a bit too overly silly at times in the way it presents the humor. More akin to the original Dragon Ball, but I personally grew up on the much darker DBZ.

The latter stages of this Tournament saga has been encouraging though, but then tonight it closed it off with more silliness.

56 minutes ago, Jasonmufc said:

I don't know what to think of Cabba either. But that's mostly just a dissonance with how he is drawn which makes him look like he's from a different anime altogether. (Less 'detailed' if you will)

I don't know how Hitt sounds in the original va, but I don't mind him. Champa I guess they wanted to make annoying and abrasive.

I've been partly spoiled on what'll happen in the future, so i'm looking forward to that. But these first sagas have been pretty average, a nice entrée but it lacks any sort of stakes. The Frieza and Beerus stuff I already saw both in the feature films, and also in the original va (before I opted to wait for the dub).

It's all so whimsical, and a bit too overly silly at times in the way it presents the humor. More akin to the original Dragon Ball, but I personally grew up on the much darker DBZ.

The latter stages of this Tournament saga has been encouraging though, but then tonight it closed it off with more silliness.

The next arc will give you all the DBZ seriousness you can handle. I'm loving the humor in the series. I think it does the mix of styles better than GT did.

Also you can hear a bit of Japanese Hit here, just don't look at suggested videos after it.

• Like 1

Oh yeah, reading "My Hero Academia"

Screenshot_20171112-181232.png

Screenshot_20171112-181325.png

Is this a bad translation or is it supposed to read a little strange?

On 11/9/2017 at 16:01, GoGo Yubari said:

Hey guys, remember me? GoGo Yubari? The dude who used to be The Anime Fan on EWB? I'm back on my bullshit, kind of!

I just finished season two of My Hero Academia. I liked it a lot! Even though it has by far my least favorite character in anime history in it! And even though the mangaka has said he explicitly relates to that horrible character, and you know that's true because also every adult female hero they've introduced thusfar has basically been defined by her looks! All the other characters are pretty good-to-great, and I love the way the villains have been built up. I'm not 100% sure on if I'm going to read the manga before season three but since there's probably like six months until the first episode of that drops, it seems likely to me that I will.

not sure what the next thing I watch is. I've basically gone from watching a ton of anime ten years ago to now, where I watch one series at a time. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, maybe? That's 116 episodes, though, so maybe I want something shorter.

I'm reading the MHA manga. Just got to that character. Two chapters and I already hate him so much.

So I did some more thinking on this character. Like, I don't mind a pervert character. I can watch Dragon Ball and enjoy Master Roshi. The thing is that kind of humor is set up from the start. One of the first gags is about Bulma trying to use a peek at her butt as a bargaining chip and Goku not understanding why. In this there's nothing of the sort until this dude pops up in a big fight story. We go from all heroics and school life to "Let me grope your titties before I die!!!". It's such an unfitting element. Plus he's got no upside, he's just a whining coward taking up space and distracting in otherwise interesting moments.

I looked up a MHA anime clip for clarification on a page I was reading and man I did not expect All-Might to have my favorite anime character's voice.

7 hours ago, =BK= said:

I just found out about that and was about to post it. That is awful, 57 is way too young to go. I really liked her voice, and she voiced 2 of my favourite anime (Dragonball and Ranma, as well as Trigun), and it was a shock reading about this :crying:

I've been watching some key scenes from this last arc of DB Kai. I've never been a fan of the music or VA changes but I always dug the script rewrites. There was a ton of shit that needed correcting. But with this arc not so much. Funimation was on the ball with everything when they did the Buu arc the first time. A lot of the Kai rewrites here aren't better or more accurate, they're just changes for the sake of changes.

Really digging my new wallpaper

Screenshot_20171119-055806.png

I'm so close to being caught up and I dread when I hit that point.

• Like 1