The Anime Thread

Ruki

I keep getting a banner ad on here for Manga and it honestly looks like it'd lead to a lot of BL stuff.

• 1 month later...

Five episodes in to Attack on Titan.

Watched first episode of Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood last night.

I'm getting the hang of this anime thing.

To be fair, I have watched most of Death Note before and bits of Mirai Nikki, but this is a step forward.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Apsham said:

So in the recent Sony sale the Sword Art Online game that was out on the Vita before the new one that just came out was cheap so I picked it up. Most people said to watch the anime first so I started on that - episode one. Love the concept.

And that's where the love ends (Outside of the animation). At least for me.

• Like 2

I enjoyed Attack on Titan, Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood and the original Full Metal Alchemist.  I'm looking for new shows in general to watch and my last couple were horror and comedy themed shows, and variety is nice.

Any suggestions?  I should note I tried Cowboy Beebop a while ago and gave up after Disc 1.

I mean I don't know how you gave up on Bebop but okay. 

Code Geass is my go-to, it's a sci-fi / dystopian / mecha anime set in an alternate universe, where England rules much of the world and has subjugated Japan and designated it "Area 11". It's about a British prince who obtains a power called "geass" - specifically, his allows him to basically mind control people - and he uses it to start a rebellion against the Holy Britannian Empire. Things take off from there.

There's also Silver Spoon, which is a slice of life comedy series about a teenager who moves from the suburbs to go to an agricultural high school in rural Japan. It's got some romance elements as well, and it's a really cute series. 

Also, shit, @damshow, what was that one anime we were watching that was about music? I can't remember the title. It's a really great show, heartbreaking sad pretty often - if you want to feel like being punched in the stomach without actually being punched, watch it. It's a slower paced drama/romance ordeal. 

Cowboy Bebop was the best!

If you want lots of action with some comedy, check out Kill La Kill (be warned...there is fanservice). If you want something less fanservice-y, Gurren Lagann. If you want lots of action with a really dumb (but somehow it works concept)...Ben-To. 

I've heard amazing things about One Punch Man, but I haven't gotten around to it myself. 

Mirai Nikki was fantastic...in a Battle Royale type setting. With cellphones. If you're in the mood for a slice of life with a bit of mystery? I cannot recommend Kokoro Connect enough. 

When you guys say fanservice, what does that mean? I mean, I get that you mean stuff that is there solely for anime/series fans, but how does that manifest itself in anime? What would I be expecting going into a show that people consider has a lot of fanservice?