The Anime Thread

Ruki

Ben-To Episode 8 and Fate/Zero Episode 9 were both pretty drab filler episodes. I realise filler has a time and place in anime but when I settle down for an hour before bed to watch some anime and get two episodes of filler and no storyline advancement I feel a little cheated.

Mirai Nikki next and I still need to get Guilty Crown and Gundam AGE.

Having read the light novel for Fate/Zero, I'll admit, yeah, the episode was filler, but it's about to take off for a rocket. There's four episodes left before what I assume is a hiatus, so I have a pretty good idea of where they're going to want to finish up the first half. Trust me, you'll love it.

EDIT: SRR, re: White Hair, isn't he the guy stood on his own on the platform in the endings, the rotating mechanical cog thingy? In fact he was the only one of the new characters except the original diary owner, who I could see. Didn't see the girls or anything like that when I looked?

I'll go ahead with the weekly review without including Gundam AGE because, let's face it, it's pretty inconsequential and isn't going to affect what I think is the best anime of this week.

Fate/Zero Episode 9

As already said, it was a pretty filler-y episode but still managed to do a little something with it. More than can be said for the next anime. Seeing Rider is always a great pleasure, and it seems he can actually be a bit serious once in a while. Waver is very meh and I'm not sure he'll do much though, and Kayneth really has been a bitch so far hasn't he? I mean - everyone else in unscathed and yet he's nearly dead. And then he's been totally and utterly slapped by his wife. What a sad turn of events. She seems like she can be a right callous bitch too. I assume there'll have to be something to the Lancer/Saber story for a while, but while they hunt Caster I assume not much will happen and therefore both them and their masters will survive. Oh and back to Rider for a minute, Kirei is sending his assassin's for Waver!? Is that really the best use of the most impressive person in the game? Going after Waver!? Sheesh.

Ben-To Episode 8

Pretty much filler-y crap where they introduced two new characters as if I should already know all about them. How odd. The whole episode centres around Sato and him being in hospital having fallen out a window and two twin sisters, one of whom appears to be infatuated but they think he is the Ice Witch. There's no real punching people. Kicking people. And taking lunchboxes far too serious. Shame. Pretty drab but it's been great so far so I'll let them have this week.

Mirai Nikki Episode 8

ARRRRGHHHHHHHHH! How can anyone not want to punch these people in the face? I mean, really. Yuki? Really!? Yes she's batshit insane but SHE'S ALWAYS RIGHT. YOU ARE CONSTANTLY TRYING TO BE KILLED. THEY ARE ALWAYS TRYING TO KILL YOU! BE. VIGILANT. Seriously, I actually hate this annoying bunch of pixels at the minute because of just how much of a wet rag he really is. He annoys me. Also; are all other characters just patiently waiting their turn to kill him - and only him? Seems a bit odd. Then again it seems all 12 diary holders were picked within a ten yard radius of each other. And it's not real. I still find it odd though... Also I wish there would be some actual main-story development. Yuki and Yuno are still pretty much the same towards each other as they were in episode two and it just basically seems like a bunch of little stories within stories. Sacred Eye then Puppet Boy and now New School Friends etc. We need more of third and ninth to help the story along a bit more.

Guilty Crown episode 8

SO EVERYFANG THA MAKES ME HOWWRRR. I watch this entirely for that opening line of the song. Okay that's a lie, I actually really, really like this anime. Like I said I wasn't sure at first but since episode two it's just got better and better and you can see the story unravelling in front of you and you know - like Steins;Gate - there will be twists and turns along the way and people will be interlinked in ways you never thought fathomable. The links to Shuma's father for one seem to be the main interest point. Oh and I can only assume they pay Inori's VO-artist per word because she doesn't speak much does she?

Edited by IAceI

Fate/Zero - Episode 10:

So, we get an entire episode dedicated to Rin. Well, that's nice at least, she's only one of the main characters in Fate/Stay Night, so yay. I did enjoy the flashbacks, while Tokiomi has come off as bit of a pretentious jackass (Though not nearly as much as Kayneth), seeing him turn Rin's botched jewel into the horse was a nice little gift.

I also think that, given the book Rin opened, the Tohsaka family must get their books from the same place as the Addams family :shifty: . I've heard of people being pulled into a good book before, but never a bad one. :shifty:

So, Rin turns out to be quite a caring person after all.

And now, we see Kariya's plan, which while noble, makes him out to be a fucking asshole at the same time.

Kariya wants to win the Grail, at the cost of his own life, eventually, in order to save Sakura. Okay, that's all fine and good, but there are a couple things I see wrong with this.

1) Winning the Grail means eventually having to fight Tohsaka Tokiomi, a trained and power mage. On top of that, there's the matter of Tohsaka's Servant, Archer (remember, it's Gilgamesh). Even with Berserker, that's kind of a tall order, and even if he did win, Tokiomi's not going to go quietly into the night, he'd have to kill him. That's brilliant, Kariya. Reunite the mother with her estranged daughter (who's admittedly getting a raw deal, and if you've played all of the Fate/Stay night visual novel, you'll know exactly how raw it is), at the cost of her husband, also the teacher of the other daughter.

2) You have a fucking Servant! Zouken needs the damn worms to survive! Why not, I don't know, use a fucking Command Seal and say "Oh Berserker, kill this old fart for me," and thus Sakura is saved, as is Tokiomi (assuming Kariya could win). But noooo, that makes sense, right? Zouken was given a favor when Kariya decided not to get involved with their magic, this guy's a total tool. <_<

Fate/Zero - Episode 10:

So, we get an entire episode dedicated to Rin. Well, that's nice at least, she's only one of the main characters in Fate/Stay Night, so yay. I did enjoy the flashbacks, while Tokiomi has come off as bit of a pretentious jackass (Though not nearly as much as Kayneth), seeing him turn Rin's botched jewel into the horse was a nice little gift.

I also think that, given the book Rin opened, the Tohsaka family must get their books from the same place as the Addams family :shifty: . I've heard of people being pulled into a good book before, but never a bad one. :shifty:

And now, we see Kariya's plan, which while noble, makes him out to be a fucking asshole at the same time.

Kariya wants to win the Grail, at the cost of his own life, eventually, in order to save Sakura. Okay, that's all fine and good, but there are a couple things I see wrong with this.

1) Winning the Grail means eventually having to fight Tohsaka Tokiomi, a trained and power mage. On top of that, there's the matter of Tohsaka's Servant, Archer (remember, it's Gilgamesh). Even with Berserker, that's kind of a tall order, and even if he did win, Tokiomi's not going to go quietly into the night, he'd have to kill him. That's brilliant, Kariya. Reunite the mother with her estranged daughter (who's admittedly getting a raw deal, and if you've played all of the Fate/Stay night visual novel, you'll know exactly how raw it is), at the cost of her husband, also the teacher of the other daughter.

2) You have a fucking Servant! Zouken needs the damn worms to survive! Why not, I don't know, use a fucking Command Seal and say "Oh Berserker, kill this old fart for me," and thus Sakura is saved, as is Tokiomi (assuming Kariya could win). But noooo, that makes sense, right? Zouken was given a favor when Kariya decided not to get involved with their magic, this guy's a total tool. <_<

I agree with point 2.

Overall, not a fan of this episode, felt like more filler to me :angry:

Fate/Zero - Episode 10:

I agree with point 2.

Overall, not a fan of this episode, felt like more filler to me :angry:

In a way, it was, even though it's in the Light Novel and not original.

Fate/Zero is actually being divided into two seasons to keep the animation quality up. Since this is much more action packed than Fate/Stay Night, it's needed. This season ends with episode 13, while the second season will start in April. There won't be a time skip; from the moment we first meet Waver to the very end, it occurs over about twelve (11.833) days.

And continuing on about point 2)

What really pisses me off about the whole thing is that it'd be so easy to take Zouken out! I mean, here's Sakura's backstory in a nutshell:

Constant violation by the worms, Rin has to act as if she doesn't even have a sister (in spite of both of them knowing that they're related, though this is obvious in Fate/Stay Night), and eventually as she grows up she has to deal with Shinji, her 'brother'. (Rider's master in Fate/Stay night) Shinji is actually encouraged by Zouken to rape Sakura whenever he pleases, and I'm assuming it's pretty brutal since he's also jealous of her (remember, Shinji isn't a magus). With EVEN MORE SPOILERS on Sakura's route in the game:

This would be Heaven's Feel, she nearly becomes a walking avatar of death. Yes, seriously. In a lot of the bad ends, she consumes Shirou's soul. At one point, if you made a bad choice, you show up in the climax (Rin went ahead of you), and while Sakura's there, Rin is not. Sakura smugly says that she devoured Rin, who's currently trapped....somewhere beyond our mere mortal minds, having to go through everything Sakura did. All Rin can do is shout "I'm sorry" over and over again, and this is just after a few minutes. So yeah, really fucking crazy/evil bitch.

All because Kariya is a caring asshole. Or Zouken is a total monster. Probably a combination of both.

The one nice thing is you do get to see Rin using magic. In Fate/Stay night, all she does is shoot Gandr at Shirou and toss her gems like they're bombs. For being a badass magus, she didn't do much it seems other than those two.

Mirai Nikki, Episode 9 --

--The guy's daughter, who's name I forgot, will now be known as Juggsy McJuggs, for obvious reasons. :shifty:

--Epic intro music is epic.

--If she has Yuki's phone, why the hell won't she smash it?!

--Oh, Juggsy's name is Hinata. I like mine better.

--Trying to cheat, eh?

--BOOM! AKISE HITS ONE OUT OF THE PARK! She probably won't go easily though.

--And now Akise throws a curve ball.

--And Yuno's on to something. Akise's diary didn't change?

--CRAZY BITCH TIME! :w00t:

--Ha! It was a bluff. Doesn't everyone feel stupid now. Well, except Akise.

--....Doesn't Yukki have darts? :shifty:

--Stop being such a lush, asshole, these people are TRYING TO KILL YOU!

--I like Yuno's sweet voice more.

--Wow, Akise's really fucking with them now. Also, seems like a lot of time's going by pretty fast.

--AND YUNO RIDES AGAIN! Seriously, someone get her a secret Service badge.

--Oh quit bawling, Juggsy. She pulled a damn knife. AND YOU'RE TRYING TO FEED THESE PEOPLE TO DOGS, IT'S CALLED KARMA!

--....What the....oh this can't be good, Dogs coming in.

--Ah, okay, she's sending them after everyone. I thought it was going to be dinner time with Mao.

--Yukki does something dumb and risky. Film at Eleven.

--But he's go Yuno, so everything will be fine.

--Just realized that Juggsy didn't know that Yuno also had a diary.

--Love the way...OH SHIT CRAZY BITCH

--GASAI YUNO - DOG SLAYER.

--Why did this happen? Because you were dumb!

--Bullshit, you have plenty of places to go! Yuno found a way. Just become an insane stalker.

--</sigh> Yukki needs a therapist.

--Christ, there he goes again. Yukki, what part of "There can be only one" don't you get? Yuno gets it! Ninth gets it! Why can't you?! You're a bigger schmuck than Shirou!

--OH SHIT. "Yuno, you are not my friend".

--Oh, well, that works. And now everyone's happy.

--Happy ending? :pervert:

--And Fourth takes out Tenth!

Fun episode.

Yuno was fucking epic in this episode. So much fun.

Her stabbing Mao like "bitch, you didn't just try to kill my boyfriend, did you?" was my favourite part. Followed by dog killing.

I love that her justification for trying to kill everyone who got close to Yuki was that he MIGHT fall in love with them or choose them over her.

I was thinking Yuki was fucked when he told Yuno she wasn't his friend. But then there was that big pause and he said girlfriend and I was like "awwww". Then I noticed she was shaking. Yuno's pissed!

Apparently, Akise is a big deal. So I have heard. And hyper competent. Not really sure why he's involved if he doesn't have a diary but I'm guessing he's some sort of emissary for Deus. Also, he's kinda a dick for trying to turn Yuki and Yuno against each other. And what the hell is his "more than friends" thing with Yuki? (Did Yuki agree to this? o_O )

I wish I knew a little more about the Dog Guy. He says he's a bad person but I really didn't see it. Other than being in love with the dogs, he really didn't do much. Well, get his daughter to try and kill Yuki but oooother than that...

Police Chief was up to something. No one is surprised. I do want to know what he's been planning though.

Edit: Also...

Fuck you, Mick. I made the Big Tittied Girl joke first!

And the Happy Ending joke!

:angry:

Edited by StevenRichardsRules

I wish I knew a little more about the Dog Guy. He says he's a bad person but I really didn't see it. Other than being in love with the dogs, he really didn't do much. Well, get his daughter to try and kill Yukki but oooother than that...

What about turning people into human flavored Kibbles and Bits?!

Bloomin' heck SRR, tell me what you're spoilering. :P

Got some stuff watched last night, which is novel, so will put my thoughts up here. Mirai Nikki and Guilty Crown still to come.

Fate/Zero Episode 10

Rin's adventure. I was a bit bored to be honest, but also it held my interest as I figure she must be a character in the prequel so I tried to keep up. Bit of a more less-boring side to Tokoimi too which is nice. But yeah, we didn't really see any servants in this episode and I want to see some fighting. Token save-the-day appearance from Kariya too. What a sweetheart.

Gundam AGE Episode 9

Sadly, probably the most storyline-advancing episode of anything I watched last night. A glimpse into who the UE may actually be. Again, the storyline is intriguing. The characters and animation itself leaves my whelm somewhat undered.

Ben-To Episode 9

I honestly think after episode seven I just blacked out and missed something. Two new characters have been introduced out of nowhere, I assume we'll learn something about them soon. The storyline seems to have stagnated a bit and there's not much Ben-To Brawling going on. Hopefully this doesn't lose its way after a promising start.

Bloomin' heck SRR, tell me what you're spoilering. :P

Got some stuff watched last night, which is novel, so will put my thoughts up here. Mirai Nikki and Guilty Crown still to come.

Fate/Zero Episode 10

Rin's adventure. I was a bit bored to be honest, but also it held my interest as I figure she must be a character in the prequel so I tried to keep up. Bit of a more less-boring side to Tokoimi too which is nice. But yeah, we didn't really see any servants in this episode and I want to see some fighting. Token save-the-day appearance from Kariya too. What a sweetheart.

Gundam AGE Episode 9

Sadly, probably the most storyline-advancing episode of anything I watched last night. A glimpse into who the UE may actually be. Again, the storyline is intriguing. The characters and animation itself leaves my whelm somewhat undered.

Ben-To Episode 9

I honestly think after episode seven I just blacked out and missed something. Two new characters have been introduced out of nowhere, I assume we'll learn something about them soon. The storyline seems to have stagnated a bit and there's not much Ben-To Brawling going on. Hopefully this doesn't lose its way after a promising start.

On Fate

...This is the Prequel :shifty: . She's a main character in Fate/Stay night.

Ben-To:

The two sisters you mean? They showed up in episode 8.

Still, a fun episode.

Also, if you guys want something pretty heartwarming slice of life-ish: Usagi Drop.

A near 30 year old bachelor's grandfather dies. When he get's to the family house for the service, there's a six year old girl there. Turns out he's grandpa's daughter (Making said bachelor her nephew :mellow: ). When nobody else wants to take the girl in, the guy does so, and the adventures begin...

Oh yeah, if anybody's interested, I'm doing a fanfic sequel to Fate/Stay night; I really don't want to put in the Cube, but if you guys give me a shout, I'd be happy to send it you.

Not spoilering as it isn't really a spoiler.

Fate/Zero: We knew what I meant :shifty: Words aren't do me good always.

Ben-To: I know they were there last episode but they just sort of showed up with no explanation, I assume that there will be some form of a one (if they play any part in the series) - but the whole storyline does seem to have slowed up to almost a halt.

Re: Fanfic, I would but I need to see Fate/Stay Night obviously. I'm thinking of doing it over X-Mas but not sure I'll cope doing it in between the prequel hiatus.

EDIT: Pfft I was bigging up Usagi Drop in autumn. :shifty:

I've spied a couple of 'special' episodes are out so I may watch them if I have a bit of spare time. It's definitely worth your while watching all the episodes though, it's really quite emotional.

Edited by IAceI

Mirai Nikki Episode 9

I still don't understand exactly what a 'breeder diary' is? What is it's benefits? What's it's power?

Also I know Fourth let Ninth go but hasn't he been going around as a detective trying to get rid of 'bad guys', is this necessarily a turn? And are we to assume some of these folks are going to stick around to flesh out the 'group of friends' - oh and Akise is a diary owner, sure of it, obviously his is just some tricky bizarre diary that maybe only he can see or something? No way is he not a diary owner though.

Good episode though. Although I kind of hope Yukki actually dies to be honest. :shifty:

Mirai Nikki 9

I think the breeder diary somehow gave them control over the dogs? Or they were just super expertly trained and listened to every command and the diary just said where they were.

and I'm glad I'm not the only one who hopes Yukki dies...he better pull off something amazing, because he is just not a likeable character. His crazy 'girlfriend'? Now that's a character!

Also, Akise is awesome, I love him.

Mirai Nikki Episode 9

I still don't understand exactly what a 'breeder diary' is? What is it's benefits? What's it's power? Also I know Fourth let Ninth go but hasn't he been going around as a detective trying to get rid of 'bad guys', is this necessarily a turn? And are we to assume some of these folks are going to stick around to flesh out the 'group of friends' - oh and Akise is a diary owner, sure of it, obviously his is just some tricky bizarre diary that maybe only he can see or something? No way is he not a diary owner though.Good episode though. Although I kind of hope Yukki actually dies to be honest.

:shifty:

Mirai Nikki 9

I think the breeder diary somehow gave them control over the dogs? Or they were just super expertly trained and listened to every command and the diary just said where they were.and I'm glad I'm not the only one who hopes Yukki dies...he better pull off something amazing, because he is just not a likeable character. His crazy 'girlfriend'? Now that's a character!Also, Akise is awesome, I love him.

I for one hope Yukki and Yuno live out a full, productive and fruitful life and that their first child will be a masculine child.

post-1984-0-67256300-1323150331_thumb.pn

Mirai Nikki 9

I think the breeder diary somehow gave them control over the dogs? Or they were just super expertly trained and listened to every command and the diary just said where they were.

and I'm glad I'm not the only one who hopes Yukki dies...he better pull off something amazing, because he is just not a likeable character. His crazy 'girlfriend'? Now that's a character!

Also, Akise is awesome, I love him.

So the phone controlled the dogs? That makes sense I suppose, I guess I was just customised to thinking everyone's diaries seemed to give them an futuristic advantage such as Yukki able to see what happens or Yuno able to see what happens to Yukki, Ninth can find a way to escape a situation, Fourth can see crimes unfolding - they all seem to clairvoyant almost, whereas this one seems very much a weapon. But yeah, doesn't say anywhere it can't be so I guess that makes sense.

I kept it in spoilers as I think one of us is a couple of episodes behind, otherwise I think we're all pretty much up to date?

Just Guilty Crown for me to go for this week, I'm on the ball at the minute.