The Anime Thread

Ruki

I thought the character development early on Mirai Nikki was pretty terrible myself, not nearly as much as it is later on in the series. But that might be because I knew that the 'weak willed character would toughen up' so it didn't effect me or surprise me at all and I almost discount it.

Then again I didn't particularly think Gurren Lagann was amazing as everyone else made out, not at least until the time lapse anyways so I guess it's just different strokes for different folks. Not to say that I don't - or didn't - like either anime series, both are thoroughly enjoyable.

Got some Guilty Crown watched yesterday, Shu has gone fucking insane. Gai is back and has taken off his left arm and everyone turned on Shu. Another show where the second half of the series has left me much more impressed than the first.

Also Moretsu Pirates is still awesome. I just love it.

More to watch over the week.

Well, that is annoying :/

I use PS3 Media Server to stream anime....it's worked fine so far, but episode 19 of Mirai Nikki? No subtitles! 17 and 18 both had them, and the subs for 19 shows up on my computer....grrr.

Oh shit! Yukki has attitude now! And he is totally hitting that.

....why does she have a pet chipmunk?

Oooo, we will find out who the third corpse is! And Yuno adopted? Crazy adopted children.

WHY IS HER HEAD SO FUCKING BIG.

Yukki, straight up murdering bitches. Wait....did he just heel turn on eighth? Oh fuck....Yuno killed the cool kid :(

They're 14....how do they know how to drive?

Oh shit, I don't think Yuno was supposed to read that...

....wait, Yuno isn't Yuno? *blinks* So, she murdered the entire family and took over the identity?

YOU SHOULD HAVE SHOT HIM!

....ewww, that's a gross thing to give someone.

And wy doesn't she just grenade the lot of them? All four are right there, you'd win! People in this show are dumb.

Mirai Nikki, Episode 19

-- Ok, so the mayor is closing down a kid's facility.

-- And he's a pure politician.

-- "I do not want to use them as political bargaining chips!" Translation: I'm going to use them as political bargaining chips.

-- Shit, I think the mayor's actually Eleventh :shifty:

- Yeah, with that smile he's Eleventh :shifty:

-- I WANT THE OLD INTRO BACK.

-- Yep, mayor's in the intro. He's Eleventh.

-- "Delete All Messages"

-- 7/15 .

-- W...what? Oh hey, Yukki confirmed it for me. And apparently he doesn't care about revealing his and Yuno's identity.

-- And it seems Deus agrees.

-- Nice play Yukkii or however it's spelled this week.

-- Ah, the Server Diary. Well, gonna have to update everything.

-- What the fuck Yukkii, so she's taking her clothes off, she's still in her lingerie...

-- Wow, Yuno's still creepy, even when she's not trying to kill him.

-- John Bacchus. Good, solid Japanese name :shifty: .

-- Eh, I'm sick, so I'll wrap my thoughts up later.

-- Holy Christ, nice set up by Yukki.

-- Wait, Yukki knows how to drive? :shifty:

-- Akise shows up?!

-- Yuno seems nervous about the third corpse.

-- And (by nature of reading the message) The third corpse is revealed!

-- Where did she get the gun?!

-- JUST FUCKING SHOOT!

-- SHOOT FOR FUCKS SAKE, HE IS RIGHT THERE!

-- SURPRISE, THE THIRD CORPSE IS YUNO! You may now start shitting bricks.

I'll check out Future Diary, as it sounds fairly interesting. I did watched Death Note up to a point, but I didn't really enjoy it compared to the manga. Even the movies were done better, I think.

And Fullmetal Alchemist isn't my cup of tea.

I'll check out Future Diary, as it sounds fairly interesting. I did watched Death Note up to a point, but I didn't really enjoy it compared to the manga. Even the movies were done better, I think.

And Fullmetal Alchemist isn't my cup of tea.

Fullmetal Alchemist wasn't my cup of tea either, LUKIE, but I assure you Brotherhood was leagues beyond what was set be FA's original run (in my opinion anyway). Story is so much better, character development is there in all the right areas... I dunno, I enjoyed it so much more to be honest. It's worth at the very least giving it a shot if you haven't before.

Watch Another with me!

Ahem!? Speaking of which..

Another Episode 7

I told you there was more deaths to come when the teacher pulls out a knife. He does a really nice show where he drives it straight through his own throat - the whole scene left me clenching my fingers, toes and any other part of my body that would clench and squirm with me. Anyone who suggests that anime are cartoons for kids should watch the opening minutes of this episode and decide again because that could give me nightmares. There's a lot of speculation over 'who is dead' and to be honest I'm a little confused by the whole thing, perhaps I haven't given it my full undivided attention and that's why I'm struggling to keep up. Also Mei is.. I'm confused. She has a dolls eye. And there was something about a stillborn baby and the doll in the casket. Now, was that just a metaphor or is that one in the casket her sister? That would be creepy.

Mirai Nikki Episode 19

I'm not going to do a Mick and pretend to be surprised. I knew exactly what happens in this episode and quite frankly I'm enjoying you all scratch your heads as you try and figure it out and I'm convinced you'll all have that 'ohh, right, that makes sense now' moment in the near future. So to the episode. Amano has finally decided to become badass as he materialises to the meeting late, with Yuno around his arm. How cool of him. They reveal everyone's identities now that all the diary holders have been revealed and/or killed so there's no more secrets. We have ninth, the terrorist who is laying rather low now, first and second our obvious two main characters, eighth the little but large orphange woman who is actually quite nice, and the manipulative mayor - Eleventh - with, as said earlier, the very Japanese name of John Bacchus. How nice. I suppose we all assumed eighth would be badass because she's lasted so long, but alas no, and Yuki goes mental and he and Yuno off a load of orphans. Including the one who game him some rice. Yuki you evil man! Eleventh's diary is 'The Watcher', it watches things!, and he's essentially kidnapped Eighth.

Now shit's really gonna kick off.

Still to come in my usually unread reviews.. err: Stuff!

Gundam AGE, Inu x Boku, Rinne no Lagrange, Brave 10. I think. Maybe more. I can never remember what I'm meant to be watching..

Aww, Steins;Gate, I've miseed it so much. Although I was a bit disappointed at the lack of 'Tutturru' in this episode. That would have made it a little bit more special. And how awesome was the theme music for Steins;Gate? Totally bad ass.

Houin Kyouma... AHH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. MAD SCIENTIST.

I loved Steins;Gate. :wub:

Edited by IAceI

The thing I loved most about that episode of Steins;Gate is the way Okarin continually acts inappropriately, particularly in the airport, and then is surprised to be detained. Conspiracy indeed!

My slight disappointment came from

the reveal that neither Mayuri or Feyris were the mother of Daru's kid. Hell, I would have settled for them not addressing that at all. The actual woman just seemed like such a boring, safe choice.

I'll probably post about the newest Mirai Nikki later (or edit it into this post). Because wow, was it ever interesting. Plus, I had some good laughs near the end. Shit is going down!

Mirai Nikki 20

-- So, Akise says she's a fake, and Yukki says "Yuno is Yuno".

-- Ninth wants to kill Eleventh. Makes sense, they all have to die eventually.

-- 7/17, or eleven days before "Yukki and Yuno come together. HAPPY END".

-- However, Ninth seems to hvae other plans. You know, for wanting to become God, she sure fucked up her chances by not killing Yukki and Yuno when she had her chance.

-- I miss the old opening. Still. I alos like how this one shows all the dead people in it, that have no relevance to the plot. At least the second Death Note intro limited the dead people in it.

-- "Data Transfer".

-- Ok, so Eleventh wants to link up Eighth's Server Diary with the whole city. Why...not sure, seems crazy. Ah, ok.

-- At least a kingdom of people that can afford a cell phone with internet access.

-- Want to see the future? There's an app for that!

-- It is quite impressive that Ninth can pull all this crap off without any peripheral vision.

-- Not-Fourth is running interference for Ninth.

-- o_O What. He wants to marry Ninth?!

-- While I respect Not-Fourth's feelings, I really don't think that's the right time to pull it off.

-- ...Where is she....wow, talk about fan disservice, Eighth.

-- Well, it's not such a bad plan by saying you'll marry Not-Fourth if he manages to knock out the computer, assuming she can win the game.

-- 2011 (or 12, whatever the year is) and they're still using XP. FAIL.

-- Then again, maybe not, if it was Vista it'd be easy to take out :shifty:

-- What the shit...I think that was some ...ah, it's some phantom of child Ninth.

-- Not-Fourth to the rescue!

-- And BOOM goes the computer.

-- And now, Ninth, you gotta hold your end of the bargain.

-- LOVE, IS A VERY TEN..maybe not.

-- Nice job fucking it up, Eleventh.

-- I don't know about you guys, but I'd be off to the track.

-- Kinda dumb saying Ninth has no chance...whoa, Murmur borrowing a line from Light.

-- Murmur's pulling strings, huh. Anyway, kinda dumb saying Ninth has no chance of winning. She could still, in theory, kill Eleventh. Or someone else could, and she could take out Yuki and Yuno.

-- And suddenly, Akise's posse shows up.

-- And they all have totally worthless diaries.

-- Nice to see that Jugsy McJuggs is living up to her name :shifty:

-- Ninth is not amused at all.

-- I think, given most of my Facebook updates, I'd have the "Are you fucking kidding me? Diary".

-- Two computers left, both have to go at the same time. This is some real Mission Impossible shit.

-- I'm sure some idiot middle school kid that thinks he's a genius not offering to help will be a detriment to the plan to blow up the towers (or computers, or whatever).

-- No, don't send the squirrels away! They could be a distraction.

-- Well, ok, the pregnant one gets a pass.

-- Oh, the middle school posse shows up after all.

-- A secr...your secret weapon is a telescope? BRILLIANT.

-- Ah, I get it. Eleventh can see everyone else's diary. THAT'S ...

-- And for some reason Deus just impaled Ninth, but she seems to be okay.

-- So, Eleventh's plan is to give everyone in town a diary, therefore giving him pure prescience. While I like how sinister it is, that's way too many people to manage. Maybe if he used it for just all his security goons and what not.

-- So, Eleventh came up with the whole scheme. For all of that, you'd think he'd have some kind of uh, heavier security. Like drone guns, private security workers, ex-Navy SEALS, etc. Instead, nothing but redshirts.

-- Oh fuck, Claymore mine!

-- Well, I take back what I said about Eleventh's security. A well placed Claymore in your own brilliant is crazy but just sinister enough to work.

-- Ninth needs a hand :shifty:

-- Not-Fourth isn't looking too good either.

-- Now he's really not looking too good.

-- And who should shoot the guards but....YUKKI. Now armed with submachine gun accessory.

-- And Yuno seems right at home with a katana and an MP5.

-- Jesus Christ.....that's just kind of hysterical.

-- Good episode. Very limited use of Yukki and Yuno, while developing Not-Fourth and Ninth. Though...did anything happen to Eighth? :shifty:

Overall, this episode was actually fantastic. With only six episodes remaining, as my esteemed colleague said, shit is going down.

Anyway, I got a slight dilemma. Next week is spring break, and I plan to knock out some anime. I really don't want to use it to watch something I've already seen, so here are some of the things I'm considering watching.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Trigun

School Days

I'm not quite sure which to go with, FMA having 64 episodes, while Trigun is a bit more manageable. However, tomorrow I'm getting the FMA manga box sit (All 27 volumes), so...yeah. Help me out here. Other suggestions will be welcome.

FMA Brotherhood.

Though I'm slightly appalled you've not seen Trigun yet.

I've tried watching it, but I get slightly distracted. To be honest, the character designs bother me, they remind me of Dragon Ball Z (which I'm slowly accepting by reading the Dragon Ball manga). I'm sure it'll get done eventually, since it took me a while to get to Gurren Lagaan, Samurai Champloo and Sayonara, Zetsubou Sensei.

I am watching FMA, I really enjoy it! Although, I just watched two sad episodes in a row :(

As for Mirai Nikki, I enjoyed it! Although, I was dozing off during most of it, so I missed some things. Too lazy to go back and watch >_<

To be honest, I still need to watch Trigun, Fullmetal Alchemist, Death Note, most of Cowboy Bebop and plenty of others that are probably required viewing. It's bloody hard trying to fit things around about 7 current series that I'm trying to watch in Mirai Nikki, Gundam AGE, Brave 10, Moretsu Pirates, Inu x Boku SS, Another, Rinne no Lagrange.

Got Mirai Nikki watched last night, but to be honest my download was horribly, horribly out of sync. Like, a few seconds worth, so I was getting quite agitated and had I not known what happened due to the manga I'd have probably given up.

Mirai Nikki Episode 20

So we're reaching the critical point and we got a nearly almost Yuki and Yuno free episode as the final diary holders are all set up. We learn that Eleventh's diary is an all-encompassing 'Watcher' diary which they get around, then don't, only Yuki and Yuno still manage to do - and they take some civilians hostage because a) Yuki has a plan and b) Yuno is insane.

Also Ninth is the first to figure out Eleventh's diary (well, it seemed, but Yuki and Yuno seem to have clocked it earlier) and as a reward gets Falcon Punched off Deus. Also Deus seems to have clocked Murmur isn't just here for the fun and games, and is actually a bit of a devious little so and so.

Obligatory mention about the theme music here, and the old theme music here.

Rapidshare doesn't seem all that rapid these days. :shifty:

Brave10 Episode 8 - They find their 10th Brave. He's a pirate. He likes drinking. Some fight scenes and stuff. Yeah. That's about it.

Another Episode 8 - Ah, even horror anime has one of these...

Anime + Beach = Fan service episode

Anime + Beach + Another = Speed boat with propeller and I think you can guess the rest.

Other than that bit at the very end, nothing really happens.

Edited by IAceI

Yeah, not a great episode of Another. A little too fan-servicey/plotless for me. I spent a bunch of time trying to remember who the hell the guy they were expecting was. Finally caught on that it was the dude from the coffee shop. There were a few interesting tidbits dropped here and there though.

And the next episode looks amaaaaaazing.