NFL 2008

Cactus Drags

Dude, Eli has always had the potential, he just had to come into his own. You can keep making arguments all you want for Grossman, but the guy will be nothing more than just a mediocre quarterback. Yes, he has good games, but then he comes right back with games with 3, 4, or 5 turnovers all on his own.

I think Grossman has the potential to be a Super Bowl winning QB. Hell, he almost did win one. A couple of injury-plagued seasons limited the start to his career, we should realise he's only been able to play one full season so far. Eli's played more than that.

And where was his 3, 4 or 5 turnover game in his second stint as starting QB last season? Oh, there wasn't one.

I clearly said the guy does have his good games. You're really starting to sound like a Patriot fan, though. You hold the games he does well in such high regards, that you don't seem to accept all the games he does horrible. He's an NFL quarterback, which means he isn't going to completely blow up everytime. He's not Ryan Leaf. However, over the last three years, he has been one of the worst starting quarterbacks in the league. He's amazingly inconsistent. And as Livid La Vida Loca said, you aren't helping your case mentioning how injury-prone the guy is.

Read my posts please. I know you said he has his good games, my reply was on about you saying he comes back with a 3, 4 or 5 turnover game after those good games, which he didn't last season.

The whole 'Patriot fan' thing might work if I were actually a Bears fan, but I'm not. This isn't bias for someone on my own team. And I've mentioned his bad games and inconsistencies several times if you'd bother to read my previous posts. My argument is for his potential, not his past.

And for me, his injury problems could be a major reason for his past mistakes. The point I'm making about them is if he can stay healthy for a year or two in a row, I think he could be what Eli was for the Giants in 2007.

And if your aunt had balls, she'd be your uncle. You can say any quarterback in the league has the potential to win, in the right system, with a great defense, if they cut back on their mistakes, etc. I've been watching the NFL for over twenty years, and I just don't think Rex Grossman is a starting quarterback. If he comes out this year, beats Orton as the starter, can play a whole season, and take his team to the playoffs, I'll be just as happy for him as I was for Eli. I have watched Rex since he was at Florida. He impressed me then, but in the NFL, he seems like just another player. He needs to come into his own, and soon, or else I really think he's going to run out of chances.

Oh my God, you've been watching the NFL for longer than I have, clearly I'm not allowed to have an opinion and should take what you say as gospel.

And bollocks can you say any quarterback in the league has the potential to win. A Super Bowl, that is. Chuck Chris Simms into the greatest supporting cast in the league: the Patriots' starting line-up. You think they're going to win the Super Bowl? No, don't be ridiculous.

Oh my God, you've been watching the NFL for longer than I have, clearly I'm not allowed to have an opinion and should take what you say as gospel.

And bollocks can you say any quarterback in the league has the potential to win. A Super Bowl, that is. Chuck Chris Simms into the greatest supporting cast in the league: the Patriots' starting line-up. You think they're going to win the Super Bowl? No, don't be ridiculous.

Edited by Livid La Vida Loca

He's right though. You're talking about what if's and maybe's when it's clear that Rex has yet to fully grasp the NFL game. If he had, he wouldn't be fighting to even stay on a team that went 7-9 last year. You're judging Rex's turnaround on a 5 game stretch in which he started 4 games and played...decent. Whereas, the opposition's opinions are based on the other 27 games he's played in his career where he's been inconsistent as hell and still had one of the best defenses in the league.

Hey, if Rex comes out and plays really well for them then good for him. But don't sit here and tell me that he has a chance to do that when you're only taking into account a 5 game stretch in which he wasn't even able to finish because he got hurt yet again, especially when you seem so quick to dismiss the earlier games like they're somehow less relevant than the ones you continually talk about. Not only was he not even able to finish the season out as the starter (which, if I were the coach and I replaced my current starter with a guy, I'd like him to finish out the season), he lost 3 of those games.

Of course I'm talking what if's and maybe's, because the season I'm talking about hasn't even started yet. There's no way to say he will or he won't for sure. If I was talking about Eli Manning like I am Rex Grossman before the start of last season I'm sure you'd have all had this same reaction. The difference between the past games riddled with mistakes and the decent five-game stretch was that the good games are the most recent. My argument has been that if he can continue as he did in his last five games, then he could turn things around for himself.

I'm trying to focus on that particular good stretch, the most recent batch of games he's played, to indicate it could turn things around. Of course there's a chance he could go back to old Rex, I'm just saying I believe he can continue to play well based on those games. I'm not dismissing the past at all. Eli Manning didn't do anything special to win a Super Bowl, Grossman doesn't have to either if he can get some help on the offensive line and at running back.

Anyway, moving away from the Grossman talk because it could go on forever, what free agent moves is everyone expecting? There's all this talk of Washington going after a big name receiver, I've heard Chad Johnson, Javon Walker and DJ Hackett to be among their targets. Surely Randy Moss isn't a realistic option. I'm also intrigued to see where Asante Samuel ends up. Anyone think the Pats will re-sign him after all?

I just hope that Shaun Alexander takes a pay cut, or that we cut him when he affects our salary cap for two years. It really hurt him when we lost Hutchinson to the Vikings that first year, and so I can't blame him too much for that year. However this past year he really didn't seem to play all that well, and with some great running backs in the draft, I really could see us picking up one in the first round. That depends on how free agency goes, but with other teams more likely to give more money to the likes of Mike Turner and whatnot, the Seahawks will probably have to draft a back. The defensive group is really solid, and though I was skeptical of brining in the likes of Grant and Russel at safety, they really helped us out a lot.

I'm glad that we already locked up Wahle, that should hopefully help out whoever we have at running back next year and hopefully get us deeper into the playoffs.

Yeah, Moss to Washington is definitely not going to happen. The only way that Washington can acquire anybody is either through a trade or through the draft since they're the only team that's over the salary cap. That being said, I fully expect to see Moss in a Patriots uniform next year since they got so close this year.

And there's no way that the Patriots can sign both Moss and Samuel and I've already said this, but I think Belicheck's arrogant enough to think that losing Samuel won't hurt them at all just because he got kinda lucky that Samuel was able to replace Ty Law a few years ago. I fully expect Samuel to end up in New Orleans but I think a team like the Jaguars could end up locking him up as well since they have so much cap room. And if the Jaguars were to get Samuel, they would have the best CB duo in the league and would make that defense even better.

From the 49ers standpoint it looks as though the 4 players that are on the top of the list seem to be: Lance Briggs, Bernard Berrian (who's supposedly been saying he'd like to play there), Justin Smith and Calvin Pace. The fanboy in me would love to get them all but I know that's not going to happen. I think that Briggs and Pace would be the most ideal since the 49ers need a pass rush and Pace could help with that while Briggs and Willis keep people occupied in the middle. It's just too bad there's no NT's out there, otherwise that would probably be the focus of the offseason for them.

Fuck, I'll be honest and say I don't even know who the Raiders should go get in free agency. The draft is one thing, I want either of the two DTs, Dorsey/Ellis, or Chris Long. Free Agency is a whole different problem. So many holes. We need a run stopping LB, ours are good, but all coverage guys. O-Line help wouldn't hurt. The only places that are secure are RB and QB.

Fuck, I'll be honest and say I don't even know who the Raiders should go get in free agency. The draft is one thing, I want either of the two DTs, Dorsey/Ellis, or Chris Long. Free Agency is a whole different problem. So many holes. We need a run stopping LB, ours are good, but all coverage guys. O-Line help wouldn't hurt. The only places that are secure are RB and QB.

Seems like there's been a bit of speculation linking Samuel to Tampa Bay. Him across from Ronde would be interesting, but there have also been questions about whether or not Samuel is a "system CB" kind of like Larry Brown when he left Dallas for the Raiders and proceeded to get toasted more times than Tommy Chong.

Now, my big question is this: SportsCenter was hyping some segment earlier this week about Randy Moss and T.O. possibly being teammates. I ask anyone who saw this: WTF? Is Moss being linked to Dallas now?

From the 49ers standpoint it looks as though the 4 players that are on the top of the list seem to be: Lance Briggs, Bernard Berrian (who's supposedly been saying he'd like to play there), Justin Smith and Calvin Pace. The fanboy in me would love to get them all but I know that's not going to happen. I think that Briggs and Pace would be the most ideal since the 49ers need a pass rush and Pace could help with that while Briggs and Willis keep people occupied in the middle. It's just too bad there's no NT's out there, otherwise that would probably be the focus of the offseason for them.

Briggs could go anywhere, just depends who's willing to give him the most money. Greedy bastard.

Dallas has NTs a plenty, the 49ers should try and figure out a trade with us :P

Seems like there's been a bit of speculation linking Samuel to Tampa Bay. Him across from Ronde would be interesting, but there have also been questions about whether or not Samuel is a "system CB" kind of like Larry Brown when he left Dallas for the Raiders and proceeded to get toasted more times than Tommy Chong.

Now, my big question is this: SportsCenter was hyping some segment earlier this week about Randy Moss and T.O. possibly being teammates. I ask anyone who saw this: WTF? Is Moss being linked to Dallas now?

I think Samuel will be decent if he goes somewhere like Jacksonville as Livid suggested, where there's already a solid defense and he won't be relied upon as their #1 guy so much but elsewhere like New Orleans he could be another Jason David (only not as bad).

Dallas is linked to everyone these days, but don't expect Moss to be a serious target. We need to get younger at receiver so going after Moss would be a bad move. We already have two good veterans in Owens & Glenn, there's really no need to go after 'the other 81'.

Edited by dwsnuk

Never going to happen, Moss hates the Cowboys for not drafting him after Jerry Jones promised he would. Plus we've got limited cap space as it is.

The Lions sign Dwight Smith from the Vikings, and will probably rotate in for the two young safeties, or get work as a nickel. It's a start.

Also hearing that Shaun Rogers could be traded by Friday, with Denver, NY Jets, and Miami in pursuit. I'm ambivalent about a trade. I wouldn't mind seeing us acquire additional draft picks or even a decent player (Johnathan Vilma perhaps), but shudder at the idea of Matt Millen trying to get value for Rogers. Any draft picks acquired by him will probably be squandered and there is a chance that Vilma is damaged goods.

By the way, the Lions also hiked up their ticket prices, this on the heels of yet another gem of a season. Thanks Uncle Willie! :puke: