NFL 2008

Cactus Drags

The Cards basically have two credible wins, over Dallas & sort of over the 49ers who seemed to be playing a bit better at that point in the season. Their problems are possibly the most heavy of all playoff teams, but it's the playoffs. Arizona at least gets to play at home and with a rookie QB (Albeit one who has looked very comfortable all season long) there is always the brief chance he will choke. But even if he does, they have a really strong running game which will be the focus of the offense (Like most playoff teams end up doing).

That said, Ryan could throw a pick for a TD on his first play and Warner could go off for one of his crazy passing days. I'd still take the Falcons though.

Yes, I felt they absolutely needed Michael Crabtree, who I don't see falling past the Raiders, who the 49ers are now behind.

It would be great, but they have more pressing needs than WR so not being in a position to get him doesn't break my heart because it wasn't guaranteed that that's who we would go with if we were in a position to get him because then that would mean we're in a position to get one of the better o-linemen in the draft and we need that more than WR.

And like I said; if the Falcons get in a shootout with the Cardinals, you can't honestly tell me Falcons would win. Cardinals may not be oh so successful stopping the run, but the Falcons aren't anywhere near successful at stopping the pass 24/7, and they'll have trouble. Like I said. I'm not necessarily backing up the Cards in this contest because I think Atlanta has the tools to win if they don't make any stupid decisions, like have them pass more than run. However, I think a shootout would easily favor the Cards whom are 16th against the Run (only allow 110.2 yards a game), but a horrible 22nd against the pass compared to an 25th against the run and 21st against the pass. Atlanta is my gut feeling but I'm trying to be realistic. Don't overlook the Cardinals.

If it doesn't turn into a high scoring game of Madden style offense, there's no way Arizona can win. If Atlanta controls the clock and they don't fumble the ball like the developmentally disabled lovechild of Adrian Peterson & Tony Romo, the Cardinals will be getting booed at home early in the 4th Quarter while we get a lot of shots of a smiling Arthur Blank.

Quarterback has to be among the 49ers needs, no use having the skill players if there's no one to give them the ball. I don't see them progressing much further with Hill or O'Sullivan under centre. It'll be interesting to see whether they go to free agency to get a QB such as a Matt Cassel (or hey, why not Rex Grossman? :shifty:) and use the draft to build around him or whether they try the Falcons route and see if they can pick up a rookie QB to start straight away, which of course would be a riskier plan.

It's not an immediate need though. Who knows how well he would've done with a full season under his belt, because minus the 3rd quarter, Shaun Hill played great. He's limited, yes but he's proven that he's tough and can win games when they're down (albeit against the Rams but still). So there isn't a need to get one in the first round at all, especially given the idea that it would be either Stafford or Bradford, neither of whom I think will be much in the NFL. I could be dead wrong, but I'd rather have Hill play out the next season and have a young guy on the bench that we drafted in say the 3rd or 4th round, learning the new system that will be in place and take steps to take over. And/or, I'm not willing to give up on Alex Smith yet. He wasn't great but he's still young and he's had a string of bad luck in that he's had a new offensive coordinator since he got drafted which hinders the development of a QB, he's been hit with the injury bug and it's clear that when he came back last season, his shoulder wasn't healthy as he had to get surgery on it this year and he publicly butted heads with Nolan who is now gone. Of course, this is all pending him restructuring as there's no way we'll (or anybody else for that matter) will pay him as much money as his rookie contract is for.

We have bigger holes at other positions that take precedent. For example, like I said, we need to shore up the Offensive Line and it would be foolish to draft a QB and have him get whacked all season long because our line play is poor. Singletary

Hell, with the way Singletary wants to run his offense (which for the record is a smashmouth, run-first offense), we may not even need an All-Pro QB, just one that can make some plays and not make any mistakes, which is what Shaun Hill has done so far for us.

And there's no way the 49ers will go after Cassel, he wants too much money.

Edited by Livid

Speaking of Cassel... where does he go after this season?

If the Brady out 09 rumors are true, I hope he comes back another year. I have no idea who the Pats could get to step in.

Like I said before, Cassel will stay on as a punter if Brady comes back.

Speaking of Cassel... where does he go after this season?

If the Brady out 09 rumors are true, I hope he comes back another year. I have no idea who the Pats could get to step in.

I believe that Cassel has said he wishes to stay with the Patriots. A week ago I would have said that it was just wishful thinking on his part as long as Tom Brady is in the picture, but if Brady's questionable for '09, I wouldn't be shocked if they cut their losses with him and went with the younger Cassel.

It's an arguable move either way, but if both QBs can throw for about the same amount of yards on a good day, and one has health issues that could keep him out for a season, and the other is healthier and younger, I'd choose the healthier and younger QB.

On the other hand, Cassel could easily be next year's Derek Anderson. Assuming Brady's healthy, he's probably the smarter and more conservative choice. But if his health is up in the air all the way to the preseason, it might be a lot riskier to let a guy like Cassel go.

See: Bledsoe/Brady

I'd say dump Brady and go with Cassel. No reason to take the risk on Brady no matter what his upside is. You've proven to be able to make QB's, so take another one in the 3-5 round and repeate what you've done with Brady and Cassel. Use the money to fill in some of your literally aging positions and move on.

ESPN's ticker said that Brady's ACL and MCL are still loose and there's scar tissue from an infection that might have to be surgically removed which could cost him the 2009 season.

^This.

EDIT: Too slow. :(

Edited by Syrjis

See: Bledsoe/Brady

I'd say dump Brady and go with Cassel. No reason to take the risk on Brady no matter what his upside is. You've proven to be able to make QB's, so take another one in the 3-5 round and repeate what you've done with Brady and Cassel. Use the money to fill in some of your literally aging positions and move on.

Wouldn't the Pats take a massive cap hit if they cut a guy making as much money as Shady Brady?