NFL 2008

Cactus Drags

Would you rather risk having no QB in 2009, or having 2 QBs in 2009? That's, basically, the situation I suspect the Pats are in. It's a lot of cap money, yes, and it's not going to help them with their aging and rapidly disintegrating defense, but it's probably the better decision given the circumstances.

As much as it makes sense, I have a horrid feeling that Mike Crabtree will bust in the NFL. If I were in charge, my first pick for the Raiders would be one of the "big three" tackles - Andre Smith, Michael Oher or Eugene Monroe. Rob Gallery has been a hell of a lot better as a guard than a tackle, and I'm glad, but one of those three by his side would be a big help for Oakland and especially JaMarcus Russell.

I agree 100%, B. Texas Tech has had a lot, A LOT of wide receivers that were impressive in that type of offense, but where are they in the NFL? Like Graham Harrell, I have the feeling that he is a product of the system.

Everyone needs to stop being lazy and go to the other thread and make first round predictions. :angry: On a side note, terrible job by the fans of the Cardinals and Vikings not selling out their games. As of now both of those games will end up being blacked out in their local markets under NFL rules.

Yeah you can franchise whoever you want, you just can't do it for the purpose of trading them, as it drives up their value.

Yep, and I don't see the Pats as a team that are likely to break any rules. <_<

ZING!

As much as it makes sense, I have a horrid feeling that Mike Crabtree will bust in the NFL. If I were in charge, my first pick for the Raiders would be one of the "big three" tackles - Andre Smith, Michael Oher or Eugene Monroe. Rob Gallery has been a hell of a lot better as a guard than a tackle, and I'm glad, but one of those three by his side would be a big help for Oakland and especially JaMarcus Russell.

I agree 100%, B. Texas Tech has had a lot, A LOT of wide receivers that were impressive in that type of offense, but where are they in the NFL? Like Graham Harrell, I have the feeling that he is a product of the system.

But he's being projected highly because of his physical skills, not just his stats. He's tough, runs pretty good routes, is physically superior to most CBs, comes up big (read: vs. Texas) and has sure hands. The fact that he's in a system like Tech's just inflate his stats to jaw-dropping instead of above average to great like it has for a lot of former Tech WR's.

Predictions

This has to be one of the weirdest and toughest first rounds in recent NFL memory. It's quite possible that, all the road teams can be considered favorites (Indy/SD can go either way). There are two rookie QBs (Ryan, Flacco), a joke QB (Jackson), 2 teams that shouldn't be here (Arizona, Philly, maybe San Diego depending on how good you feel they are). So let's see.

Baltimore @ Miami

We can kind of disregard their week 7 game, I mean it was so long ago, and Miami has played better since then. But still, Baltimore is the better team. The Ravens have lost to Pittsburgh twice, Indy, the Giants and the Titans, all those teams have at least 12 wins. They're 9-2 since starting 2-3. There are some decent wins in that streak, against Philly (a mess at the time) and Dallas (a mess as well). Miami has been on a hot streak too, 9-1 in their last 10, but except for the Jets and maybe Denver, no decent wins at all. And they were trashed at home against the Patriots.

Baltimore will win this game because they can stop any trick plays Miami can do, and as well as Pennington played this year, he, Williams and Brown are overmatched against an excellent Ravens D. Baltimore's D can only really be hurt by the longball, but that's hardly Chad Pennington's specialty. Flacco might be a rookie QB, but his play shouldn't be the difference here.

Ravens 27, Dolphins 10

Indianapolis @ San Diego

Don't let the records fool anyone, this is the closest game of any of the four games in the first round. The Chargers four game winning doesn't look that impressive, but beating the Bucs when the Bucs had something to play for, and trashing Denver in the Division title game was huge for momentum. Philip Rives has been outstanding all season. Any maybe LT is alive, maybe. (I doubt it, I mean, that was the awful Denver run defense). The Colts started slow, then reeled off 9 straight. Their winning streak has a lot of impressive victories as well (New England, at Pittsburgh, AT SAN DIEGO). There is quite a history between the Chargers and Colts starting back from last year. The Chargers upset Indy 23-21 in the 2007 regular season, but remember that Darren Sproles was 12 of those points, and Indy almost came back down 23-0. The playoffs last year, The Chargers surprised the Colts again 28-24, in a game where Billy Volek had to take over. There was really no question about it either.

Each team is very similar to last year (which is why I felt those games somewhat apply here). The Colts won a close one in San Diego on a Vinatieri FG.

There are some factors that lead to me taking Indy here.

-Tony Dungy is a lot better of a coach that Norv Turner. In fact, Norv Turner is borderline awful at times.

-The best player in the game is Peyton Manning, in a close game, I'd rather have Manning than anyone else on the field. (rather than Rivers, LT, etc. etc., not anyone in the league).

-This Colts team is eerily similar to the 2006 Super Bowl winning Colts, which had to beat a Chief team in the first round that everyone thought would score all over them, much like many feel this Charger team will.

Colts 24, Chargers 17

Atlanta @ Arizona

At first it's easy to say, yes, Arizona stinks. And to a point, they do. On the flipside, it's easy to say, Atlanta is very good and should blowout the Cards. And well, they might. But this matchup is a lot closer than it seems. Arizona is 6-2 at home. Their offense can be very tough to contain, with three 1,000 yard receivers and maybe a motivated (but still probably bad) Edgerrin James. Kurt Warner, though, has been here before. He's been to the big game twice, and won it once. He has big game experience. You can't ever count out big game experience. Plus, Atlanta is 4-4 on the road with three double digit losses, although they were all earlier in the season.

Matt Ryan on the otherhand, is a rookie QB. A very good rookie QB, but still a rookie. Only two rookie QBs ever won a playoff game, (Big Ben and Shaun King), and both Big Ben and King were bad in each. I know I said Flacco would win his game against Miami, but those are for other reasons. Despite my pro Arizona stuff, Atlanta will win this game. Michael Turner should have a field day, and the Cards have looked pretty bad recently (blown out by the Patriots, Vikings and Eagles). But it'll be a lot closer than it seems. Ryan will probably play poorly (like 10 for 21, 1 TD, 2 INT), but still, it won't cost them the game.

Falcons 24, Cardinals 21

Philadelphia @ Minnesota

Tarvaris Jackson stinks. Brad Childress will be outcoached by Andy Reid. Adrian Peterson will get 120 yards with no TDs. You've gotta take the team with a motivated Donovan McNabb and a now seemingly healthy Brian Westbrook who just blew out a division rival for a playoff spot as opposed to a team who barely beat a David Carr led Giants team with a 50 yard field goal by Ryan Longwell. Right? This is a much different Eagle team than opposed to the one who couldn't beat the Bengals (although, the Redskin loss is inexplicable). The Vikings have a good defense and the best running back in the game, but Barry Sanders went 1-6 in his postseason career for a reason.

The game though, could end up going very ugly, with like a McNabb pick returned for a TD. But Jackson is a lot more likely to make mistakes than McNabb.

Eagles 35, Vikings 13

Edited by Red Devil-Taker316

Jut to put myself on the record, I believe we will have a Manning vs. Manning Superbowl, although it's likely that I'll be wrong.

Four or Five of the Six teams can legit make it to the Superbowl (sorry Miami, and Flacco as QB for Baltimore probably won't get them there), but the Colts, Chargers, Steelers or Titans all can make it, it's wide open.

In The NFC, I only see the Giants, Panthers and Eagles (yes, the Eagles) having any chance. Rookie QB Matt Ryan won't get it done, no way the Cards would beat Carolina or the Giants, (well, maybe Carolina and I think they beat the Giants in the regular season, but sadly, that was a different Cardinals team)and no team with Tarvaris Jackson as the starting QB is going to a Superbowl.

Eagles actually have all the tools to get there with a good McNabb, great momentum, good first round opponent (although they probably beat Arizona anyway, I guess), they can beat the Giants in New Jersey (did it in Week 14) and they can most likely beat Carolina, tough it'd be the tough test. The Eagles have big game experience (4 straight conference title games and a Superbowl appearance not that long ago) with Reid, Westbrook and McNabb all there. Scary as it sounds, the Eagles can be last year's Giants.

I read here before about the debate whether who would win, the Colts or Steelers. I would have to take Indy.

Look at the 2006 Baltimore Ravens. Almost the same as the 2008 Pittsburgh Steelers. You've got a QB breaking down (for different reasons, McNair was practically done, Big Ben has been hurt, knocked around, hurt again etc. etc., heck look at their stats too, McNair in 2006 had 16 TD, 12 INT, 3,050 YDS, Big Ben has 17 TD, 15 INT, 3,301 YDS, not much of a difference). Baltimore's running game was inconsistent, led by Jamal Lewis with 1,132 YDS, while the Steelers haven't had a consistent running game at all, as two different backs combined for 1,379 YDS. And, both defenses were best in the league in terms of points (BAL06: 201, 1st, PIT08: 223, 1st), while having an average offense (BAL06: 353, 12th, PIT08: 347, 20th). Both teams have defensive minded coaches, Billick and Tomlin.

The 06 Colts beat the 06 Ravens 15-6 in Baltimore. If it comes to it, I expect the 08 Colts to do similar to the 08 Steelers. You just don't go to Superbowls with shaky QB play (2006 is a big exception though. Rex Grossman only did have one INT, but he was still pretty bad. Peyton Manning was pretty awful in the playoffs).

If the Colts run into Tennessee, well, that's obviously that's a whole other argument. But, I'm taking the Colts.

So I predict a Colts-Giants Superbowl

NFL Gameday Morning has confirmed he has a torn tendon in his groin and the doctors recommend surgery, however, LT will remain a game time decision. The problem with this is that if Sproles starts, who will do punt and kick returns?

Edited by Zorak

I believe they have Cromartie as the backup KR/PR so either he may do it or I think Kassim Osgood has returned a few kicks/punts before as well.

But just because he'd start doesn't necessarily mean that he would stop returning anyways; they have Jacob Hester and Michael Bennett to reduce his carries a bit.

Edited by Livid

Pass, then run and get stopped, then throw an interception.

So do you guys still think I'm stupid for predicting the Cardinals to win? Matt Ryan can't take the pressure, this defense won't hold up against this high powered offense all game like they did on the first possession, and the commentators have even backed up what I've said - Cardinals can stop the run. Hell, they stopped the Giants running game when they went.

TOUCHDOWN CARDS! What an idiot for me picking the Cardinals. *Rolls eyes* And hell, Falcons can't even stop the run. Lmao.

Edited by Zorak