NFL 2008

Cactus Drags

I know the Rams are for sale, and that Chip Rosenbloom, the son of the original owner, wants to get them back to Los Angeles, but can't afford to keep them because of the tax ramifications of Georgia Frontiere (sp?) dying.

I'm not sure where you would have heard he wants to move them back. Living in St. Louis and being pretty on top of this story, every sound bite, interview I've heard or read has said he wants them to stay in St. Louis to honor his mother. His mom brought them back to her home town and he wants to honor her by keeping them here.

He has stated several times that if someone buys them he wants to make it a clause in the contract they have to keep them in St. Louis. Its true that Chip and Lisa (Georgia's children) can't afford the team however they own 60 percent, a guy that owns part of the Denver Nuggets owns the other 40 percent.

The NFL ownership rules state that you can't own another sports franchise in a city where there is an NFL franchise. So therefore he can't take on more ownership of the team due to having ownership of a team in the same town as the Bronco's. There has been talk of them trying to get special permission from the NFL due to circumstance of the kids inheriting the team.

The Rams are for sale but they have I believe another ten years left on their contract with the city of St. Louis. I'm not sure how contracts and what not work out but I know it wouldn't be that easy for a team to pick up and move outta here. Chip just gave Bill Devaney our GM the go ahead to interview Rex Ryan, Josh McDaniels, Steve Spagnuolo and Jason Garrett. All of these guys were pretty much the top tier of coaches in the league. We could have gotten away with giving less to a secondary canidate but Chip gave us the go ahead to secure on of the top two or three canidates out there.

There has also been rumblings of Rush Limbaugh who lives in Cape Giradeau, MO a few hours south of St. Louis being rather interested in getting some investors together to purchase the team. That was about six months ago though and haven't heard anything more about it. Also though Chip hasn't been actively shopping the team so the offers have been sparse especially considering our poor record lately.

The precedent set by the Sonics (As well as, in the past, the Colts & Browns) basically dictates that contracts to cities don't matter.

That said, with the recession and with the lack of possible public funding I think we are going to see quite a few teams potentially move. The three likeliest are Chargers, Vikings, and Saints because all three are approaching a point where they need new stadiums. The 49ers and Raiders both need a new stadium, but the likelihood is that they'll end up sharing one. In the end, I can see the Chargers doing their move like the Bills are orchestrating their move to Toronto. Play a game in L.A. at the new stadium, then do more, and then eventually just move. The Vikings likely will not get a new stadium in Minneapolis, and I can definitely see them being on the move in the next few years. The Saints probably will end up getting a new stadium as part of the New Orleans revitalization efforts, but until that's confirmed their name belongs up there.

The Jaguars also are a potential team to move, but I don't know if their move is as imminently possible as the three mentioned above.

There has also been rumblings of Rush Limbaugh who lives in Cape Giradeau, MO a few hours south of St. Louis being rather interested in getting some investors together to purchase the team. That was about six months ago though and haven't heard anything more about it. Also though Chip hasn't been actively shopping the team so the offers have been sparse especially considering our poor record lately.

Rush is (unfortunately) from Pittsburgh and (unfortunately) a diehard Steelers fan. Now I'm not saying you're totally off-base because he may be interested in owning a team, but I gotta think it would be weird for someone to be as big of a fan of one team as he claims to be owning a different team in the same sport/league. But that doesn't mean it's not possible.

And though this will undoubtedly spark controversy in this very thread I figured I'd post this Rick Reilly vlog from ESPN.COM...

Life Of Reilly: All Is Right

I know you weren't saying I was wrong but here is a link in USA today in which they talk about Rush being interested. He doesn't live in Missouri but he was born there sorry about that. He was born there and still has a lot of family in that area. In fact his grandfather was a prosecutor, his uncle was on the Missouri Supreme Court, his cousin is a Missouri Judge so yeah he doesn't live there anymore but a lot of his family does sorry about the wrong info on where he lives. Anyway here is the link I was talking about.

Rush Speaks on being interested in the Rams

Speaking of "maybe shoulda gone with another option", I'm not sold on Haley as the new KC coach. Not that I think anyone could have been successful over the past few years with the Moutian West calibur football team the GM of KC put on the field and asked Herm Edwards to coach.

The first NFL game I remember watching was a match between San Diego and Denver from Sydney, I think.

First Superbowl, I remember was the one were the guy who kicks for Indy now (Please don't make me try and spell his name) kicked a last second winner for New England.