Female Artists

Protoman Version 2.5

Like many music fans, I go through "phases" in what I get the itch to listen to. Right now it seems like I'm really into listening to female singers & female rappers for one reason or another. Because of that it made me think of this topic, what are some of your favorites of the opposite gender (or, same if you are one of the few on EWB that is female)? Any certain songs or albums by them that mean some thing to you, ect?

Fiona Apple, Feist, Nancy Sinatra, Aimee Man, Lily Allen, M.I.A, Amy Winehouse, Gwen Stefani, The Cardigans, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Courtney Love and Hole, Bikini Kill and Le Tigre, Sleater-Kinney, The Gossip, The Pipettes, Peaches, Metric, The Soviettes, and The Distillers.

In particular, Feist is amazing, Nancy Sinatra is classic, Lily Allen's voice is beyond stellar, M.I.A is the new counter culture, Gwen Stefani = sex, Le Tigre make feminist politics interesting and dancable, Sleater-Kinney are the ONLY great rock band in the 21st century, and Peaches is ridiclously amazing. The rest are give and take.

Edited by PunkRockPete

Emily Haines & The Soft Skeleton

New Buffalo

Norah Jones

The Headlights

Imogen Heap

Gemma Hayes

Feist

Natasha Bedingfield

Regina Spektor

Lucie Silvas

Klima

Marlango

The Action Design/Tsunami Bomb

Future Conditional/Piano Magic

The Postmarks

Sia/Zero 7

Jenny Lewis/Rilo Kiley

Flunk

Los Campesinos!

People Press Play

The Tommys

Martina Topley-Bird

KT Tunstall

Nikola Rachelle (Bedingfield)

Mandy Moore

Lily Allen

Leona Lewis

Beth Orton

Vanessa Carlton

The Pipettes

Sarah Nixey/Black Box Recorder

Fabs

Jem

Michelle Branch

CSS

Operator Please

The Cardigans

Be Your Own Pet

Lucky Soul

Erm....that'll do for now.

Edited by YI

I think in general I prefer more female artists than males, but all of my all-time favorite groups have male lead singers. Aside from Alanis and Alicia Keys I don't think any women are part of my "top 10" unless you count D'arcy from the Pumpkins.

Aimee Allen, Alanis, Alicia Keys, Amy Lee, Bif Naked, Butterfly Boucher, Drain STH, Feist, Gwen Stefani, Hayley Williams from Paramore, Imogen Heap from Frou Frou, Jem, Justine Frischmann from Elastica, Kelly Clarkson (rock stuff, not the ballads), KT Tunstall, Lacey Mosley from Flyleaf, Lisa Hannigan (Damien Rice's background singer), pre-Honey era Mariah Carey, Mary J. Blige but only stuff from her first 2 albums, Natasha Bedingfield, Nelly Furtado, Pink, Saffron from Republica, Sarah McLachlan, Shakira, Sheryl Crow, Shirley Manson, Tori Amos, and that chick from the Yeah Yeah Yeahs.

Amy Winehouse, Jean Grae, Gwen Stefani, the odd bit of Sarah McLachlan, Moldy Peaches, Norah Jones and Sleater-Kinney are the primary ones I listen to. Jean Grae in particular is a favourite, I'd probably say she's my personal pick for one of the best female rappers out there right now.

PJ Harvey, Bjork, Tori Amos' voice and concepts.

Groups with female vocalists: Cardigans, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, The Knife, Add N To (X)'s Ann Shenton, (Alison) Goldfrapp, Arcade Fire (I'm in love with the final song on the Funeral album), the two girls from Polysics, Garbage.

I liked No Doubt too, though not Gwen's solo stuff.

I've never understood the appeal of Feist. I saw the video for the song that's all, "1, 2, 3, 4.." with the horrible choreography. It's a terrible video and the girl's voice is really irritating.

Hayley Williams from Paramore is awesome, though.

Jean Grae

Keyshia Cole

Alicia Keys

Beyonce

Destiny's Child

A bunch of others, but I don't know their names. By the way, who made that song that goes "I'm not gonna write you a love song, because you asked me to." Or something like that. I think that's how the chorus goes. It's been in my head for awhile.

I only have two CDs by female artists: one by Heart, the other is M.I.A.'s new one. I got a couple songs from Anita Baker and Mariah Carey on the iTunes ... but that's really about it for me. (Not including the trance songs with female vocals, but male DJs)

Edited by Lowerdeck

Lots of great names so far, but I was surprised to see no love for Nellie McKay. She was called a cross between Doris Day and Eminem...and the label kinda fits. Sunny pop to pissed-off rap in the span of one song. Which reminds me, I need to go grab her third album.

Seconding the love for: Fiona Apple, Lily Allen, Hole, Natasha Bedingfield (:wub: and damn her label for gutting half the new album and making me go search for the European version!), Martina Topley-Bird (she seriously MADE Tricky), Mandy Moore, Michelle Branch, Nelly Furtado, Pink, Sarah McLachlan, Sheryl Crow, and Tori Amos.

One who fizzled out that I still enjoy the album for is Imani Coppola. The kind of shit that you don't dare sing along with, because the lyrics sound half-retarded, but the music itself is just sunny and happy as hell.

And finally, Garbage is class and Shirley is sex. Thank you.