Scrubs

Benji

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't say Im at all interested. The last couple of seasons fell in quality, plus most of the characters arent that interesting anymore and seem to be doing the same shtick as from season 1 (JD is number one), though I can forgive some of the characters for that.

Plus read on Wikipedia (yes, not the best source for info, blah blah) that they were thinking of doing more Scrubs with a new cast after 2009, which just makes me want to weep at ABC and/or Lawrence thinking itd be a good idea to do.

Can't say Im at all interested. The last couple of seasons fell in quality, plus most of the characters arent that interesting anymore and seem to be doing the same shtick as from season 1 (JD is number one), though I can forgive some of the characters for that.

Plus read on Wikipedia (yes, not the best source for info, blah blah) that they were thinking of doing more Scrubs with a new cast after 2009, which just makes me want to weep at ABC and/or Lawrence thinking itd be a good idea to do.

Personally I don't see a problem with it, the cast got stale, they did it on Spin City with acceptable results, it wasn't the same but it can't be much worse than Season 7, if this were two years ago I'd be fanboy appalled, but they've pretty much sullied the show thanks to the last couple of seasons anyway.

I'm with Teej... the show has hardly been "ruined" by the last couple of seasons. They were, in my opinion, still decent... just not as great as the previous seasons. Which is kinda inevitable when you get to 6th/7th and 8th seasons. Friends, for example, wasn't anywhere near as good in it's latter series as it was in the middle period.

I enjoyed Season 6 for all that's worth. Yeah it was hit and miss, but it was still pretty damn good. I didn't see much of 7 once I heard it was getting aired out of order and then the writer's strike came upon us. I look forward to that coming out on DVD though and now that I know they are doing 8, I want a bit of closure, but leaving it open enough to keep the mind wondering.

*tilts head to the left and lets the mind wonder.*

I really don't get the absolute hatred over the last two years. It wasn't that bad. Was it as fresh as it was previously? Well no, but by the time you've done 7 seasons nothing is fresh or new anymore.

It wasn't just that it wasn't fresh, they weren't even trying, every actor seemed to be going through the motions and the writers are getting lazy (from the gimmick episode to a clips show to an episode all about deja vu). I don't expect it to always be fantastic, but it's a totally noticeable drop in quality and there's just a lack of any unpredictability any more as well, which is what the show was basically founded on. Don't get me wrong, I'll still watch it, but it's not like the first seasons where I used to rush to watch it as soon as possible, these are episodes feel like they are made purely for the studio, people who like to make money (both of which is all shows though) and those involved with Scrubs who just can't let go.

I really don't get the absolute hatred over the last two years. It wasn't that bad. Was it as fresh as it was previously? Well no, but by the time you've done 7 seasons nothing is fresh or new anymore.

It wasn't just that it wasn't fresh, they weren't even trying, every actor seemed to be going through the motions and the writers are getting lazy (from the gimmick episode to a clips show to an episode all about deja vu). I don't expect it to always be fantastic, but it's a totally noticeable drop in quality and there's just a lack of any unpredictability any more as well, which is what the show was basically founded on. Don't get me wrong, I'll still watch it, but it's not like the first seasons where I used to rush to watch it as soon as possible, these are episodes feel like they are made purely for the studio, people who like to make money (both of which is all shows though) and those involved with Scrubs who just can't let go.

*full of season 6 and 7 spoilers*

This isn't "going through the motions". Carla's entire "post-partum" turn is all great performance wise. As for unpredictability, how about everyone coming together to save Kelso's job, only for him to quit? Or Kim's faked miscarriage (cliched, but not predictable)? Laverne dying out of nowhere? And the argument that it's "made for the studio"? I'm sorry, but that's completely bogus. This show has NEVER been a big money maker, it keeps getting brought back because the crew is passionate about continuing it and because the people at the studio are big fans.

Ill watch the new season, and episodes of the last 2 seasons I enjoyed more than others. I just dont think it is as good anymore. The thing I really dislike, and maybe this is what the show is going for in the first place, is the fact that JD has STILL yet to grow up and still clings on to people. The whole 'JD/Elliot' thing they did at the end of one season was also something I had to roll my eyes at just because the entire thing between the two needs to end as it's just boring at this point. I wont expect much from the new season, but I'll watch it, andhopefully not expecting much will end up making it seem good to me.

I did enjoy the whole Kim faking the miscarriage thing, Kelso actually quitting, etc. as they were unexpected. Laverne dying though... I really didnt see the point in that, especially when they ended up bringing her back in only a different role with the same characteristics. Seemed like a way of killing off Laverne only to bring her back as a new character as a cheap laugh that is really pointless. Dont get me wrong. I enjoyed the Laverne dying episodes. The 'serious' episodes of Scrubs are by far some of the greatest ones. I just dont see the point of killing Laverne off only to bring her back later.

I do still enjoy Janitor and Kelso, though. Those two, plus Ted when he appears, are great mostly 95% of the time.

*full of season 6 and 7 spoilers*

This isn't "going through the motions". Carla's entire "post-partum" turn is all great performance wise. As for unpredictability, how about everyone coming together to save Kelso's job, only for him to quit? Or Kim's faked miscarriage (cliched, but not predictable)? Laverne dying out of nowhere? And the argument that it's "made for the studio"? I'm sorry, but that's completely bogus. This show has NEVER been a big money maker, it keeps getting brought back because the crew is passionate about continuing it and because the people at the studio are big fans.

You misunderstand what I mean by unpredictability, you've looked heavily at the drama and not the comedy, which is what Scrubs is all about, it was an off-the-wall comedy that utilised common drama techniques in a unique way. The show is a decent money maker on the DVD's and whilst it's certainly not a big money maker its more than a steady earner enough to justify keeping it going, just because something doesn't make millions doesn't mean it doesn't make money and can keep on being produced for profit.

Also, the crew may still be passionate, but certainly nowhere near as much as they used to be, they've been talking about ending it for about three seasons and it's been noticeable, but every time they seem to reach an ending point it dives out of grasp for one reason or another.

I really wish I could say I've seen more episodes of Scrubs than I have.:(

It used to be on on Channel 4/S4C at like 10/11am during the school holidays for like one year, like The OC etc., but then just stopped, and then hasn't been back on it since, until a couple of weeks ago on Saturdays.

I've seen the one with Matthew Perry and the one with Colin Farrel in it, and both are great.

Also I caught I couple of seconds of one the other day.

JD's supervisor asks the kid to give a urine sample, where the kid says that he just gave one.

"Yeah, but this time I want you to put it on the floor, cover your eyes and go nuts!"

:lmao:

• 1 month later...