One Hit Wonders

Benji

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strangly the only Thin Lizzy song I could thing of us Bad Reputation...

Jimmy Eat World had Bleed American before The Middle.

Van Halen is not a one hit wonder, they have so many! Jump, Panama, Why Can't This Be Love, When It's Love, You Really Got Me and Running with the Devil all jump to mind.

For Blue Oyster Cult, I dont know about singles, but the three songs I think of when I hear them is The Reaper, Cities on Flame with Rock and Roll and Godzilla.

Van Halen is not a one hit wonder, they have so many! Jump, Panama, Why Can't This Be Love, When It's Love, You Really Got Me and Running with the Devil all jump to mind.

For Blue Oyster Cult, I dont know about singles, but the three songs I think of when I hear them is The Reaper, Cities on Flame with Rock and Roll and Godzilla.

I just came in here to say that. I really don't get why people think Van Halen are one hit wonders.

- Jump

- Ain't Talkin' Bout Love

- Running With The Devil

- Why Can't This Be Love

- Poundcake

- Panama

- You Really Got Me

- Hot For Teacher

And they're just off the top of my head. Really, how are they one hit wonders? They were massive in the U.S., especially on the Hair Metal scene, and weren't exactly unheard of in the U.K. either.

Guest Mr. Potato Head
Now that I think about it, has there ever been an era that was more proficient in producing one hit wonders than the 90's?

Absolutely. It's just that most of us can only remember the 90s, and one-hit wonder songs tend not to age very well. Jeff Woods recently did a great series on one-hit wonders for his Legends of Classic Rock show, doing one episode each for the 60s, 70s, and 80s.

I just came in here to say that. I really don't get why people think Van Halen are one hit wonders.

- Jump

- Ain't Talkin' Bout Love

- Running With The Devil

- Why Can't This Be Love

- Poundcake

- Panama

- You Really Got Me

- Hot For Teacher

And they're just off the top of my head. Really, how are they one hit wonders? They were massive in the U.S., especially on the Hair Metal scene, and weren't exactly unheard of in the U.K. either.

Look at Benji's first post. Anyone who isn't a fan of Van Halen, especially those who haven't lived through thier 80's heyday, will probably know them more as 'that band who did 'Jump'. They aren't one hit wonders in the conventional sense, but they are more well known for one song than other songs in thier catalogue.

• Admin

It makes me sad that Benji considers A-Ha one hit wonders - "The Living Daylights" was a cracking Bond theme, and "The Sun Always Shines On TV" was played to death when it was released. Maybe it's just an age thing. So many of the bands you guys have listed as one-hit wonders I could easily name at least a couple more of their songs, and I don't even like most of them.

Though I'll add Tamsin Archer & "Sleeping Satellite" to the list.

It makes me sad that Benji considers A-Ha one hit wonders - "The Living Daylights" was a cracking Bond theme, and "The Sun Always Shines On TV" was played to death when it was released. Maybe it's just an age thing. So many of the bands you guys have listed as one-hit wonders I could easily name at least a couple more of their songs, and I don't even like most of them.

Again, check my first post definition. I love Morten Harket in all his high pitched sexfulness, but in the modern day A-Ha are defined by one single song and barely anyone can name any of their other songs without a bit of a struggle.

• Admin

Again, check my first post definition. I love Morten Harket in all his high pitched sexfulness, but in the modern day A-Ha are defined by one single song and barely anyone can name any of their other songs without a bit of a struggle.

By barely anyone, you mean "anyone born since the late 80's" really though. It's a question of exposure, surely?

By barely anyone, you mean "anyone born since the late 80's" really though. It's a question of exposure, surely?

Well, isn't it all a question of exposure? Depends on location, age, social groups etc. The term 'one hit wonder' is a very broad phrase in terms of the history of music.