One Hit Wonders

Benji

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's why I left the open interpretation, it's for my own playlist (again, I know) and I figure it'd be nice to see what/who people consider one hit wonders since Britain and America (and the rest of the world) do have very different radio play, I never really thought of Americas regions as well, but of course they'd be different (Y)

Thin Lizzy is a tough one, based on who you talk to. People who don't really know them may be more likely to know 'Boys Are Back In Town', but 'Whisky In The Jar' is as big possibly, and also 'Jailbreak' is pretty well known.

I'm surprised there hasn't been any mention of Len 'Steal My Sunshine'

great song

Crazy Town 'Butterfly' I guess can be another one, although they did have a couple more songs

A 'Nothing', though again, they had another couple of songs.

Although YI may have made the best choice with Junior

Edited by rvdwannabe

I don't think of "Nothing" by A anymore than I would "Starbucks" to be fair. I put them almost on a par, and if anything I probably like Starbucks more - simply for the fact its about Starbucks.

Yeah, I wasn't 100% sure which one would probably work better for this out of the two. I was more sticking them up there as a band who suddenly broke through, had a song or two, and then pretty much fell off the map.

I was talking to some people the other day, and no-one had heard of them. Shocking.

Well, I guess similar vain could be (at least for England) "In The Shadows" by The Rasmus. I know they're huge in their native Finland, but "In The Shadows" was their song in England - not sure about elsewhere.

I know they have a lot of albums, and technically it isn't what you're looking for by one-hit wonders - but there have been worse suggestions as well. ¬_¬

Haha, my friend has her iPod and Youtube and that connected to her computer. Around hers on Friday,she had it on shuffle, we were all a little drunk and getting bombarded with various showtunes, and then 'In The Shadows' came on.

I haven't heard it for years. Genius choice.

She's So High - Tal Bachman

Quality right there.....

Also I wouldn't put Rogue Traders as a One Hit Wonder. They are in the Top 40 for every song they have realesed here in Australia and I wouldn't only associate them with one song.

EDIT: Linkage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVKcfwJxa54

Also, Warrant - Cherry Pie is a OHW in my mind

Edited by The Inquisition

How the fuck are Van Halen, Hawkwind, Jimmy Eat World, The Sweet and Thin Lizzy one hit wonders?

To be fair...he asked for bands 'associated with one song'...and arguably Van Halen and Thin Lizzy are basically solely distinguished these days (on a 'mainstream level') by "Jump" and "The Boys Are Back In Town" respectively.

Van Halen I'll give you, Hawkwind I won't argue with (let's face it, unless you're a fan of the band, Silver Machine is the only song that's going to come to mind), but Thin Lizzy? Nah. Sorry, not having that one.

Whiskey In The Jar? WHISKEY in the fucking JAR!

Jailbreak?

Renegade?

Thunder And Lightning?

Baby Please Don't Go?

Cold Sweat?

Waiting For An Alibi?

Thin Lizzy are not one hit wonders. They have at least three songs that I'd say were about equal, with WITJ being a shade ahead of those. Calling them 'one hit wonders' because one song was more popular than the others is like saying Queen are one hit wonders because 'Don't Stop Me Now' was more popular than 'Under Pressure' and 'We Are The Champions' by a little bit (not saying Thin Lizzy get anywhere near that level of popularity, but relatively speaking...).

As for A... if you're arguing over which one of two songs is more popular, surely that gives you a clue as to their one hit wonder status? :P I know where you're coming from, but still...

As for Ultravox... I always associate them with Dancing With Tears In My Eyes. In fact, that's pretty much the entire reason I knew who Midge Ure was when he was on Buzzcocks, I'd never heard of Ultravox ¬_¬

Oh, and ADGray mentioned it, but didn't actually suggest it: Shaddupa You Face by Joe Dolce. Surely the ultimate one hit wonder? :P

Edited by Farmer Reil

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Once again, continental divide. Some bands are far more popular in the US than the UK, and vice-versa.

Canada generally follows what's popular in the US and adds a bunch of Canadian artists as well.

I have never heard a Thin Lizzy song other than The Boys Are Back In Town.

You've heard at least one version of Whiskey In The Jar though, surely? Even if it was the Metallica one.

While it wasn't a Thin Lizzy song there's a strong argument that, where it not for them recording it, Metallica wouldn't have covered it (everyone and their dog calls it "a Thin Lizzy cover" after all).

But yeah, I can see where the continental divide thing might come into play. I always thought of Rush as a one hit wonder until I discovered their other stuff, because Spirit Of The Radio was pretty much the only song that made it big over here. Although to be fair the fact that I wasn't born until 6 years after it was released probably didn't help on that front ¬_¬

Just thought of another one that might be contraversial, because although I'm fairly sure they have had other hits, I'm buggered if I can think of one:

Blue Oyster Cult - (Don't Fear) The Reaper

Guest Mr. Potato Head

I don't see why Metallica being inspired by Thin Lizzy's WITJ makes them not a one-hit wonder. Bands don't need to be popular to be inspirational.