Doctor Who

Benji

It was a lot of fun. Enough humour, character and excellent parts to outweigh the odd bits of silliness. Some great little lines, and I cheesy as it was, I especially liked the Christmas carol exchange.

'It's a Christmas carol.'

'A what?'

'A Christmas carol.'

'Sorry, I can't hear you.'

'A CHRISTMAS...... Carol.....'

And the trailer looks fantastic. Nazi's, the wild west, the oval office and the Ood. I'm entirely sold. "Stetsons are cool!"

Went ahead and watched the Christmas Special instead of waiting for the re-run later. Damn glad I did, because it was awesome.

I'm watching Graham Norton right now on BBC America, and I have no idea whatsoever who the guests are besides Matt Smith.

That Christmas special was so much better than I was expecting, given the concept. Normally I'm not a fan of them at all, unless they fit more into the long-term continuity, but if it's just a one-off, usually they're a tacky, schmaltzy mess with token celebrity guest. But, considering "sci-fi Christmas Carol" somehow managed to be brilliant, I might have to change my viewpoint. It was funny, it was sentimental without being overly obvious, and it was silly without being cringeworthy...pretty much all I want from Doctor Who.

Plus, I just saw Michael Gambon fly through on the air on a shark-drawn carriage.

Also, Tom Baker scarf appearance!

• 2 weeks later...

Aparently David Tennant is now engaged to Georgia Moffat, according to some reports.

I'll give you a minute to process this: The actor who played the 10th Doctor is now engaged to the actress who played his daughter and the actor who played the 5th Doctor will be his father-in-law when they get married.

• 2 weeks later...

If you have 40 minutes to spare, here's a half hour collections of stills and clips from every Who episode, with 10 minutes of 'extras' on the end.

Doctor Who History 1963 - 2010

• 2 weeks later...

Aparently David Tennant is now engaged to Georgia Moffat, according to some reports.

I'll give you a minute to process this: The actor who played the 10th Doctor is now engaged to the actress who played his daughter and the actor who played the 5th Doctor will be his father-in-law when they get married.

Now she's pregnant with a baby girl.

So the Doctor's daughter is inside the Doctor's daughter, who played the Doctor's daughter.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
A Doctor Who great has died, as Nicholas Courtney, best known as the Brigadier, has passed away…

Published on Feb 23, 2011

Some desperately sad news to start the day, I'm afraid. Nicholas Courtney, beloved to many as the Brigadier in Doctor Who, has died.

I think I can speak for many Doctor Who fans when I say that he was one of the most beloved characters ever to grace the show, and his work saw him playing opposite every Doctor on screen from William Hartnell through to Sylvester McCoy. And, of course, that's before you even get to his substantive audio work, which saw him unite with both David Tennant and Paul McGann.

He wasn't solely a Doctor Who man, having appeared in many other hit programmes and the occasional movie. But his love of the show, and its love of him, is what made him such an icon in the eyes of many fans. Plus, there's the fact that he was so willing and generous with his time. The man was a true one off.

It's sad to see him go, and our thoughts are with his family. Our appreciation, though, is for an immense man, who gave us many, many hours of viewing pleasure. There won't be another one like him.

Might we suggest that you dig out the Jon Pertwee story, Inferno, and salute the Brigadier one last time?

Rest in peace, sir.

from: http://www.denofgeek.com/television/784079/nicholas_courtney_19292011.html

RIP "Brigadier" :(

R.I.P.

I'll leave this Brigadier quote from The Daemons:

`Chap with wings there. Five rounds rapid!'

I really need to get some of the Doctor Who audio adventures. Seriously.

One thing a lot of fans forget, or don't even know, is that Nicholas Courtney first appeared on Doctor Who as a different character. He was Bret Vyon in The Daleks' Master Plan, which was a First Doctor story. And the longest DW serial, aside from Trial of a Time Lord.

• 4 weeks later...

Always enjoy the little Comic Relief-isodes, you just get the idea they enjoy writing fun 7 minute stories. Also love the fact that 7 o'clock starting family friendly Doctor Who can still have lines about glass floors and Karen Gillans miniskirt...

I've never bothered with the webisodes (or whatever this was), but that's pretty great.

It's a special for UK charity Comic Relief. It aired on last weeks telethon they held.