Doctor Who

Benji

Regarding the Children In Need short:

Spoiler

So now not only did The Doctor (12) save Davros as a kid and give him the inspiration for the Dalek gun and `EXTERMINATE!', but now he named them and gave them the suction cup? Sheesh! 

Also, they're saying Davros has been retconned. But isn't this really just retconning when he created the Daleks? Because wasn't he supposed to have created them after he ended up disfigured? 

31 minutes ago, jrhodes said:

Ah, so it is out this year. I thought I'd seen that was the case somewhere else but then Amazon's dates flummoxed me.

Doubt she'd be bothered by the steelbook so I'll probably get her the regular blu-ray.

Cheers @TheWho87 and @Benji

If you want some other options there is always TheWhoShop

17 minutes ago, GhostMachine said:

Regarding the Children In Need short:

Hide contents

So now not only did The Doctor (12) save Davros as a kid and give him the inspiration for the Dalek gun and `EXTERMINATE!', but now he named them and gave them the suction cup? Sheesh! 

Also, they're saying Davros has been retconned. But isn't this really just retconning when he created the Daleks? Because wasn't he supposed to have created them after he ended up disfigured? 

Spoiler

The only canon for Davros creating the daleks is Genesis, a lot of the extended lore is in the expanded universe, within that Davros gets disfigured before creating the daleks, and because he was considered a mutation he started to look into the mutation of the kaled race and creating the dalek, so in the extended lore Davros was disfigured before he started any work on the daleks,

Watched through The Daleks in colour and...

giphy.gif

The colour is great, but the rest, they've cut 100 minutes from the original, which puts it a little behind the film version, which loses some points, but the worse thing is the addition of the incidental music to make it like NuWho, but it's so over bearing and forced that it's extremly distracting and over shadows scenes.

Don't know if anyone watched (I didn't until Mark Gatiss flagged it), but they changed the end of An Adventure in Space and Time on BBC4 last night to replace Matt Smith with Ncuti Gatwa which was a nice little touch. Nothing more to say other than he's a disturbingly handsome man and I'm immensely looking forward to him starting.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Colly said:

Don't know if anyone watched (I didn't until Mark Gatiss flagged it), but they changed the end of An Adventure in Space and Time on BBC4 last night to replace Matt Smith with Ncuti Gatwa which was a nice little touch. Nothing more to say other than he's a disturbingly handsome man and I'm immensely looking forward to him starting.

That's not all they changes, they also removed a lot about An Unearthly Child from it, due to the current issues around it, I feel they are trying to retcon it out of existence.

Also that scenes was intentionally shot with the intention to input the current doctor into it if it ever got reaired. Still doesn't help the Star Wars 1997 vibes I'm getting from the Whoniverse era.

Hahaha, the second

Spoiler

Beep the Meep went evil

Was when I realised who voiced him. I didn't click at all before that because I've been spoiler free :lol:

Spoiler

Someone says "run" and Donna immediately seems to click. A big deal isn't even made of it, but that's a solid bit of wink and nod if you're paying attention.

... Fuck it this has been everything I hoped for :lol:

Will say it was an improvement on the Chibnall era.

Spoiler

Just watching Unleashed, they pointed out the scene with the bikes, when I was watching it, it just seemed like a weird catcalling scene, but it's actually a deadnaming/transphobic scene, and it seems a little odd since it's not really hinted at until later on in the episode that Rose is of that persuasion, and if it wasn't pointed out I don't think you would have even known, hence why I only picked it up watching the behind the scenes.

EDIT

A behind the scenes video dropped on the YouTubes

Edited by TheWho87

10 hours ago, Benji said:

New intro is cool. Excited for Dr Who like I haven't been in ages.

It sucks Tennant is only back for a few episodes, though. I marked out like a motherfucker when Jodi Whittaker regenerated into Tennant instead of Gatwa. I know this is Fourteen, but Ten is my second favorite Doctor after Four *, and its mainly due to Tennant's acting and facial reactions. He is the best Doctor actor so far when it comes to going from goofy or light-hearted to deadly serious in a split second. (I thought Matt Smith was great at it, as well, but Eleven was too goofball at times.)

*And its a close race.

I really enjoyed it, the fact they've got the 3 specials means they don't have to rush to solve why Tennant is back and can just do some daft monster of the week stuff. The only bit I didn't quite get/enjoy was

Spoiler

The fact Rose's non-binaryness became a plot point, and a heavy handed one at that? Feels like they basically said she's only NB/trans because of sci-fi wibbliness, and I'm not sure that was really necessary.  And the follow up of her and Donna just "letting go" of the metacrisis wasn't very clear, they just glowed a bit and everything was fine. Fair play to Donna's husband, never seen a more laid back character on tv...

Edited by Colly
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Colly said:
Spoiler

The fact Rose's non-binaryness became a plot point, and a heavy handed one at that

Spoiler

That combined with "heaven forfend 14 wear the lady 13s clothing post regeneration" very much felt like a bunch of people patting themselves on the back for being progressive whilst totally missing the mark.

Spoiler

It did seem very heavy handed, especally when they already had the plot point of the metacrisis being split between Donna and her child, it screams old RTD, with Rose being created with being trans/non-binary as the key point and everything else being used to justify that, it's the same thing he did with Jack, he was written with the majority of the focus being on his sexuality, it wasn't until Torchwood they give him a proper character.

• Like 1

Spoiler

It just seems silly because with everything he's done (Queer as Folk to It's a Sin and everything in between) it's obvious RTD is very progressive, but it felt very strange that even the Meep was calling Rose weird, and the metacrisis "causing" it reinforced that.

Complete aside, is anyone familiar with the comics? I bought my soon to be 8 year old a crossover 13th/10th Doctor TPB for Xmas which I've now read and deemed perfectly fine despite their 12+ recommendation so I'm probably going to get a few more, but just in case anyone had any thoughts. Probably just going to go for a few of the other crossovers and a some Tennant ones.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Colly said:
  Hide contents

It just seems silly because with everything he's done (Queer as Folk to It's a Sin and everything in between) it's obvious RTD is very progressive, but it felt very strange that even the Meep was calling Rose weird, and the metacrisis "causing" it reinforced that.

Complete aside, is anyone familiar with the comics? I bought my soon to be 8 year old a crossover 13th/10th Doctor TPB for Xmas which I've now read and deemed perfectly fine despite their 12+ recommendation so I'm probably going to get a few more, but just in case anyone had any thoughts. Probably just going to go for a few of the other crossovers and a some Tennant ones.

I own one of the IDW TPBs, but its reprints of Fourth Doctor stories from the 70's. Including the Star Beast one. I'd say that would be fine for an 8 year old, except possibly for one story where the Doctor becomes a werewolf. If you ever want to introduce the kid to Classic Era DW, that would be a good choice. (I got mine at a used bookstore. Was pretty much in new, pristine condition but cost a LOT less than I'd have paid in a bookstore or comics shop.)

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Colly said:

I'm only slightly familiar with the DWM comics and I don't think they get too bad, I think the darkest it got would be Ground Zero where they killed Ace, but I'm pretty sure pre-teens was target audience, if they are into daleks I think the latest strip is coming out in a collection Liberation of the Daleks with the 14th, and there is two collections with all the classic dalek strips, and I think there is a cyberman one out or coming out.

2 minutes ago, GhostMachine said:

I own one of the IDW TPBs, but its reprints of Fourth Doctor stories from the 70's. Including the Star Beast one. I'd say that would be fine for an 8 year old, except possibly for one story where the Doctor becomes a werewolf. If you ever want to introduce the kid to Classic Era DW, that would be a good choice. (I got mine at a used bookstore. Was pretty much in new, pristine condition but cost a LOT less than I'd have paid in a bookstore or comics shop.)

Is that the colour version? I think that's a big thing of note between the IDW and Panini versions of classic Doctor Who comics, IDW colourised their releases, Panini reprints them as they were originally in black and white, the IDW ones would be more common in the States and Panini over here in the UK.

• Thanks 1

Sorry I was very non-specific, it was the newer Titan Comics ones I was looking at and I think I'd stick with that since it's NuWho he's grown up on. It does feel quite confusing that Panini etc are still doing them, are they mainly reprints then?

Well they collect and reprint the comics from the magazines, but that's because they print the magazines. The comics in the magazines do follow the current Doctor for the time, so Liberation of the Daleks started the issue after the 13/14 regeneration and is intended as a bridging story between the regeneration and the start of the specials.

If you're looking into Titan, you might want to look out for Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor Facing Fate Volume 2: Vortex Butterflies and Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor Facing Fate Volume 3: The Good Companion they have a crossover with the 12th Doctor. There is also Lost Dimension Volume 1 and Volume 2 that is pretty much a 9/10/11/12 crossover story. And the there is their big 50th anniversary story Prisoners of Time, that has all the Doctors.

• Like 1