Doctor Who

Benji

I actually really dug the episode tbh. Horses for courses and all that. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Benji said:

I think the bigeneration is basically just setting up "TV Doctor" and "Film Doctor", which makes me hopeful that Eight might get treated as a film Doctor and appear alongside Tennant as I feel like they'd have wonderful chemistry.

I actually thought it was a possible explanation for the Curator that popped up in the 50th. He is, after all, a retired Doctor that appears to have a familiar face. 

Anyway, I loved it. Mad as a box of frogs. NPH was great. The self insert rant about how shit the world is right now. The only thing I wasn't really convinced about was the game of catch. That was partly down to the editing I think. 

• Like 2

Yeah don't misunderstand me, it's not a bad episode by any stretch. I enjoyed it, but it just felt very much like it could have done with a bit more time to allow the beats to be explored and breathe. It's entirely a personal preference and I'm glad it's sitting better with others than it did with me, but it still sat well with me but for some bits I wanted more of.

13 hours ago, Benji said:

Yeah don't misunderstand me, it's not a bad episode by any stretch. I enjoyed it, but it just felt very much like it could have done with a bit more time to allow the beats to be explored and breathe. It's entirely a personal preference and I'm glad it's sitting better with others than it did with me, but it still sat well with me but for some bits I wanted more of.

I'm in two minds about that. Because I entirely agree that nothing really had time to settle but I also think that it gave it a feel of complete chaos which helped with the menace of the Toymaker. 

On 13/12/2023 at 16:38, TheWho87 said:

Eccleston was asked what would it take to being him back to Doctor Who, and I'd fully support this.

One of the things he said was that it would require RTD being fired. So, why was Eccleston silent about the possibility during the time that RTD wasn't around? 

Edited by GhostMachine

58 minutes ago, GhostMachine said:

One of the things he said was that it would require RTD being fired. So, why was Eccleston silent about the possibility during the time that RTD wasn't around? 

He has said in the past he was not interested in doing multi Doctor stories, which is the only reason they would have brought him back.

https://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/eccleston-calls-multi-doctor-stories-a-cash-in-if-you-want-me-back-get-me-on-my-own-96910.htm

I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with Eccleston never playing the Doctor again under that circumstance. Nine is my least favorite of the NuWho era Doctors, and Eccleston comes off a bit full of himself by saying that. 

(Nine is my least favorite due to how the character was written, not his performance.)

On the other hand, there are rumors of a possible Eighth Doctor spin-off, and I hope its true!

Well that was bloody great. Ncuti is an absolute star, and the supporting cast was strong. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Theory from Reddit on Mrs Flood courtesy of thetruthseeker__ (quoted exactly)

Spoiler

Flood is a misdirect because Mrs. Flood is clearly Iris Wildthyme. A character who before now only existed in audio dramas and novels. Below is the 'evidence' I have gathered.

1. It is worth noting that RTD is known for drawing on books/audios/ and comics for his stories. We have seen that as recently as the Star Beast. It is therefore not a stretch to think that he would bring in another character from the "extended universe"

2. Iris Wildthyme comes from the clockworks, the universe between universes. This adds to the timeless child storyline that RTD has demonstrated he wants to run with.

3. Iris travels in a double decker red bus. While this isn't the one Ruby rode, there are plenty others seen in the last episode and even one in the previews.

4. Iris has had several regenerations, each resembling a famous person. She even regenerated to Katy Manning, who voices her audio dramas. This explains why she looks like Anita Dobson.

5. Several of her story lines involve memory loss and regaining said lost memories. Which explains why Mrs. Flood didn't recognize the Tardis at first, but knew what it was by the end of the episode.

6. A version of Iris settled down in Camden, which is where the star beast takes place. Not to mention was the setting for the eighth doctor comic "the flood"

7. Iris Wildthyme is a known lush, and what was Mrs. Flood waiting with at the end of the episode? A flask.

8.On that note she once fractured the multiverse by spilling a gin and tonic into the time vortex. And the doctor mentioned he was part of the Gin and Tonic division.

9. Iris is also the Greek goddess Iris of the rainbiw, and if you look at the use of color in the episode it spans the entire spectrum of the rainbow, more so than I have seen in any other episode. For real though, the Christmas special was vibrantly colorful.

10. She is LGBT and RTD loves his LGBT characters

11. RTD mentioned wanting to set up a Doctor whoniverse like he did with torchwood and TSJA. Iris fits the slot of doctor who, but for an older audience.

12. Donna's backstory was 'changed'. In the second special she mentioned she was born in Southampton because her Aunt Iris wouldn't come to them. This is a character never mentioned before which is strange because every other character referenced in the specials was also referenced in season 4. Doubly interesting when you consider the fact that Iris frequently refers to herself as "Auntie Iris."

Most damning of all. 13. Iris Wildthyme is a metafictional character, noted for breaking the fourth wall and talking to the audience. In the novels this frequently is accompanied by a wink as seen by Mrs. Flood.

And those are my '13 Reasons Why' Mrs. Flood is Iris Wildthyme

21 hours ago, Benji said:

Theory from Reddit on Mrs Flood courtesy of thetruthseeker__ (quoted exactly)

Hide contents

Flood is a misdirect because Mrs. Flood is clearly Iris Wildthyme. A character who before now only existed in audio dramas and novels. Below is the 'evidence' I have gathered.

1. It is worth noting that RTD is known for drawing on books/audios/ and comics for his stories. We have seen that as recently as the Star Beast. It is therefore not a stretch to think that he would bring in another character from the "extended universe"

2. Iris Wildthyme comes from the clockworks, the universe between universes. This adds to the timeless child storyline that RTD has demonstrated he wants to run with.

3. Iris travels in a double decker red bus. While this isn't the one Ruby rode, there are plenty others seen in the last episode and even one in the previews.

4. Iris has had several regenerations, each resembling a famous person. She even regenerated to Katy Manning, who voices her audio dramas. This explains why she looks like Anita Dobson.

5. Several of her story lines involve memory loss and regaining said lost memories. Which explains why Mrs. Flood didn't recognize the Tardis at first, but knew what it was by the end of the episode.

6. A version of Iris settled down in Camden, which is where the star beast takes place. Not to mention was the setting for the eighth doctor comic "the flood"

7. Iris Wildthyme is a known lush, and what was Mrs. Flood waiting with at the end of the episode? A flask.

8.On that note she once fractured the multiverse by spilling a gin and tonic into the time vortex. And the doctor mentioned he was part of the Gin and Tonic division.

9. Iris is also the Greek goddess Iris of the rainbiw, and if you look at the use of color in the episode it spans the entire spectrum of the rainbow, more so than I have seen in any other episode. For real though, the Christmas special was vibrantly colorful.

10. She is LGBT and RTD loves his LGBT characters

11. RTD mentioned wanting to set up a Doctor whoniverse like he did with torchwood and TSJA. Iris fits the slot of doctor who, but for an older audience.

12. Donna's backstory was 'changed'. In the second special she mentioned she was born in Southampton because her Aunt Iris wouldn't come to them. This is a character never mentioned before which is strange because every other character referenced in the specials was also referenced in season 4. Doubly interesting when you consider the fact that Iris frequently refers to herself as "Auntie Iris."

Most damning of all. 13. Iris Wildthyme is a metafictional character, noted for breaking the fourth wall and talking to the audience. In the novels this frequently is accompanied by a wink as seen by Mrs. Flood.

And those are my '13 Reasons Why' Mrs. Flood is Iris Wildthyme

Well...

Spoiler

Night of the Doctor more or less made the Eighth Doctor books and audio canon because he did mention companions from those, so they could very easily have her pop up. But....

Having her show up and NOT be played by Katy would be very disappointing. 

I've heard theories that she's:

Amy and Rory's second child, meaning River Song's sister. (But fully human.)

The Rani

Romana (Nope. Romana has too much of a stick up her ass, so I don't buy it.)

Iris Wildthyme, like you mentioned.

Someone who worked for UNIT during the Third or Fourth Doctor era, but was never seen.

Susan, somehow returned to Earth. (Oh, please no!)

Oh, and some on Facebook think Ruby's mother is River Song, for some reason. 

• 2 months later...
Spoiler

Personally, I think if they were going to bring Susan or Isis in, they wouldn't recast the roles. Personally, I'm convinced bringing Susan back works with the theme of the Doctor moving on from his past.