Doctor Who

Benji

Well isn't this fun news,the son of the writer of the first story of Doctor Who An Unearthly Child/Tribe of Gum, due to licencing reasons around his fathers work that he now owns the righrs to, including the fact that he seems to argue that he owns the rights to the term "TARDIS" because it was created by his father.

https://bleedingcool.com/tv/doctor-who-why-bbcs-who-niverse-will-be-missing-an-unearthly-child/

On 15/10/2023 at 21:50, TheWho87 said:

Well isn't this fun news,the son of the writer of the first story of Doctor Who An Unearthly Child/Tribe of Gum, due to licencing reasons around his fathers work that he now owns the righrs to, including the fact that he seems to argue that he owns the rights to the term "TARDIS" because it was created by his father.

https://bleedingcool.com/tv/doctor-who-why-bbcs-who-niverse-will-be-missing-an-unearthly-child/

Read through his tweets and he seems like a self-righteous bellend, harping on about "vengeance" and using an unnecessary amount of words to tell people he doesn't care what they think of him. It's notable that he keeps referring to a "reasonable amount" he wants to be paid for the rights but won't specify how much he asked for, even when called out on it.

he's also a mad conspiracist far-right nutjob. He's been insisting that he owns more rights to Doctor Who stuff than he actually probably does for at least ten years, but it's very telling that his stated reason for kicking off about it so much this time is because of the BBC casting black and queer actors. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Benji said:

Someone on Reddit just mentioned the idea of a crossover with Red Dwarf for a special Doctor Who episode and now it's all I want to see. Imagine that with Capaldi's Doctor.

I recall there were rumors of a Star Trek crossover during the Enterprise era and when Doctor Who got rebooted, but Enterprise got axed before things went further.

22 hours ago, TheWho87 said:

I recall there were rumors of a Star Trek crossover during the Enterprise era and when Doctor Who got rebooted, but Enterprise got axed before things went further.

There's a Doctor Who/TNG crossover comic involving Matt Smith's Doctor. Its alright. 

I know RTD was really into the idea of JK Rowling appearing and doing a Christmas special set in her dreams. Tennant apparently vetoed it. Can't imagine RTD thinking that was a good idea now. 

It's a shame shows like the Avengers (the proper ones) or Sapphire and Steel haven't made a come back because they'd make interesting crossovers with Doctor Who (if they were any good, which seems unlikely in the Avengers case). 

We probably dodged a bullet when it comes to Moffat doing a crossover with Sherlock and Doctor Who that people seemed to be clamouring for. I can't imagine how bad that could have been. 

22 minutes ago, GhostMachine said:

I wish they had followed up that Doctor Who/TNG crossover with a Doctor Who/TOS one, but using one of the classic Doctors. Either 2, 3 or 4.

I'm pretty sure the comic has 4 and Kirk team up.

2 hours ago, Vamp said:

It's a shame shows like the Avengers (the proper ones) or Sapphire and Steel haven't made a come back because they'd make interesting crossovers with Doctor Who (if they were any good, which seems unlikely in the Avengers case).

They tried with Avengers, it didn't work out well.

They've got the specials in the can, they've got the first series of Gatwa's in the can, and now they are starting to record the second Gatwa series, guess this proves that they want to bring back Doctor Who as a regular annual series again.

• Like 2

On 23/10/2023 at 19:27, TheWho87 said:

They've got the specials in the can, they've got the first series of Gatwa's in the can, and now they are starting to record the second Gatwa series, guess this proves that they want to bring back Doctor Who as a regular annual series again.

Thank fuck. That erratic schedule was absolutely ridiculous.

The worse part was the waiting, they had Flux and the Jodie specials in the bag for a while and took ages to drip feed them out, it seems like the plan is to get back to the old schedule of a series a year with the Christmas specials.

Also The Star Beast airs November 25th, Wild Blue Yonder airs December 2nd, The Giggle airs December 9th, with all the 60th specials will be out on DVD/blu-ray on December 11th.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TheWho87 said:

So I guess this means the plans for different in universe shows are go.

This is also a day after they announce Tales of the TARDIS, a miniseries where old characters are reunited within the Tardis to go over their run.

Regarding Tales of the TARDIS....

Spoiler

Here's hoping Colin gets to play Six more like the mellowed out Big Finish version. Unless he ends up around Mel, then he can be the egomaniac all he wants.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Naitch said:

@Colly https://doctorwhomagazine.com/news/the-top-10-doctor-who-stories-of-all-time/

That's a fair line, I'm on season 25 of 26 of the classics after starting in December 2021...

I have #s 1, 3, 5, and 8

5 hours ago, Colly said:

Can anyone recommend (or link to one) a bit of a best of? I'm usually a completist but even I draw the line somewhere...

These would be my recommendations for each Doctor

First Doctor
- The Daleks (Season 1)
- The Aztecs (Season 1)
- The Romans (Season 2)
- The Time Meddler (Season 2)

Second Doctor
- The Tomb of the Cybermen (Season 5)
- The Enemy of the World (Season 5)
- The Web of Fear (Season 5)
- Mind Robber (Season 6)
- The War Games (Season 6)

Third Doctor
- Spearhead from Space (Season 7)
- Inferno (Season 7)
- The Daemons (Season 8 )
- The Sea Devils (Season 9)
- The Green Death  (Season 10)

Fourth Doctor
- Genesis of the Daleks (Season 12)
- Pyramids of Mars (Season 13)
- The Brain of Morbius (Season 13)
- The Robots of Death (Season 14)
- The Talons of Weng-Chiang (Season 14)
- City of Death (Season 17)

Fifth Doctor
- Kinda (Season 19)
- Earthshock (Season 19)
- Snakedance (Season 20)
- Resurrection of the Daleks (Season 21)
- The Caves of Androzani (Season 21)

Sixth Doctor
- Attack of the Cybermen (Season 22)
- Vengeance on Varos (Season 22)
- Revelation of the Daleks (Season 22)

Seventh Doctor
- Remembrance of the Daleks (Season 25)
- The Happiness Patrol (Season 25)
- Ghost Light (Season 26)
- The Curse of Fenric (Season 26)

I'll add these seperatly, but the recent full animations of missing stories are amazing in how they have done them, the two dalek stories are the best of the 60's era, they should be a must watch for anyone.

- The Power of the Daleks (Season 4)
- The Macra Terror (Season 4)
- The Evil of the Daleks (Season 4)
- Fury from the Deep (Season 5)

Edited by TheWho87
Added Spearhead, Talons and City of Death.
  • Thanks 1