Doctor Who

Benji

57 minutes ago, Benji said:

I just realised whilst contemplating the 14th Doctor. We've been lampshaded with this long ago. 10 was told by The Curator that he would revisit some old favourites :D

Actually, he told 11, if I remember right.

I know its way too soon, but with the revisiting old favorites thing going on, can they please make Paul McGann the Sixteenth Doctor?

Pretty sure he'd be really good at it. After all, he'd be twice the Doctor that Eight was! 

Edited by GhostMachine

I wonder if they might take the Marvel approach to an extent and have a couple of shows on the go at once? I know there's been Torchwood etc previously, but having a 6 episode Paul McGann series running in one of the gaps away from the main one would be lovely. And an Ecclescake return. And a couple of 3/4 Doctors specials. 

Hopefully not too much overkill, but a couple would be nice.

I just hope that there aren't any demands from Disney in the deal. Fine if they're just paying a boat load of money for it, but we've seen what they've done with the CGI industry and what it's produced. Doctor Who has also had some cracking model work since it came back and probably needs to utilise it more. More money should mean it can but Disney's strategy, at least with Marvel, is very CGI focused.

It'll also be interesting to see how comfortable they are with RTD's vision for the show. I feel like some of his his first 4 series would be seen by some as far more obtusely political and controversial now than they were at the time. 

Hey, if it means the possibility of a thoroughly realistic CGI Third Doctor (voiced by Time Treloar, who does a pretty convincing job from the Big Finish clips I've heard) or Fourth Doctor (voiced by Tom Baker, of course) showing up for an appearance, I'm all for it!

(Just hoping the Doctor doesn't show up in the Marvel movies to help fight Kang....)

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished Jodie's first season of rewatch. It's actually better than I remember (a running theme of a lot of this rewatch to be honest). I still think Tim Shaw was a shit season villain and the finale is the worst episode, but the rest is decent TV, it just lacks any really great episodes. It comes close with the penultimate episode with the deaf girl and her father, but like a lot of Chibnall era Doctor Who it fails to stick the landing. The witch finder episode with Alan Cummings is a delight for his performance too.

Generally though, it's an okay series which is buoyed significantly by Graham as a character. He brings heart, comedy, and stakes to the table without even once feeling like he undermines the purpose of The Doctor.

• Like 1

I've seen a lot of people crap on Jodie as the Doctor, and honestly I think its just sexist bias, objecting to the Doctor being a woman. She was brilliant as the Doctor, just saddled down with Chibnall, who I'm glad to see gone, and some bad scripts. 

What I hate is that we're left with a few unanswered questions, which I hope RTD rectifies: Mainly where Ruth and the Master fit in. Ruth being a pre-Hartnell incarnation would be absolute bullshit, though. I'm hoping the Master is supposed to be a pre-Missy incarnation but won't be upset or surprised if he isn't. 

And @Benji I completely agree regarding Graham.

• Like 1

I never had an issue with Jodie, I think she was an utter delight to be honest. She brought a less angry Doctor to the front, which was nice because we spent the previous decade and a half getting progressively angrier and whilst I adore that, it was time for something different.

Chibnall's plotting is just... Yeah, I cannot possibly fathom what he was looking to do most of the time. Even at RTDs worst for his infamous struggles to generally make a good second part on a two parter, you could at least get a sense of what he was going for. Chibnall is just "throw shit out and hope for the best".

I'd argue there are two camps in regard to negativity towards Jodie's run, the obvious sexist bias, and then those who thought the writing was shite, and it was just easy to consider these two were one and the same, you can't criticize her run without it being considered sexist, even though Chibnall has a history of writing "meh" stories, add to that most of the writers he got had only ever done either daytime or kids dramas.

Graham was clearly the best character written for the crew, which does leave me wondering what it would have been like if they had run with a male lead, shame how it all ended with him regarding his cancer and the Doctor basically ignoring him.

And now for something a bit different.