Doctor Who

Benji

1 hour ago, TheWho87 said:

I'm only slightly familiar with the DWM comics and I don't think they get too bad, I think the darkest it got would be Ground Zero where they killed Ace, but I'm pretty sure pre-teens was target audience, if they are into daleks I think the latest strip is coming out in a collection Liberation of the Daleks with the 14th, and there is two collections with all the classic dalek strips, and I think there is a cyberman one out or coming out.

Is that the colour version? I think that's a big thing of note between the IDW and Panini versions of classic Doctor Who comics, IDW colourised their releases, Panini reprints them as they were originally in black and white, the IDW ones would be more common in the States and Panini over here in the UK.

Yes, its the color version. 

This is it: https://tardis.fandom.com/wiki/Doctor_Who_Classics_Volume_1

I bought my copy a little over 3 years ago, in New condition, for less than what it sells for in Used condition from Amazon and a few other places now. And it came out in 2008. Used bookstores are your friend for these kinds of things. 

On 23/11/2023 at 21:13, TheWho87 said:

Watched through The Daleks in colour and...

giphy.gif

The colour is great, but the rest, they've cut 100 minutes from the original, which puts it a little behind the film version, which loses some points, but the worse thing is the addition of the incidental music to make it like NuWho, but it's so over bearing and forced that it's extremly distracting and over shadows scenes.

The original serial was heavily bloated, so some trimming was definitely warranted tbh. 

3 hours ago, DFF said:

The original serial was heavily bloated, so some trimming was definitely warranted tbh. 

There is a difference between a sympathetic edit to reduce time and the butchery that they did, there are more jump cuts than Kevin Dunn, a key example is the anti-radiation drugs sequence, when they are in the dalek cell and realise they were given the drugs it cuts back twice to show two scenes that aired minutes before to emphasis the drugs, it was totally unnecessary especially when you've cut back the footage so this happened 10-15 minutes before, how stupid did they think the audience was that they can't remember incidents 10-15 minutes prior, and that was before the conctant background music, there was never a point when it stopped, it seemed like due to their butchery of the episode they needed to make the music sync so they just covered everything in new music to the point that it distracts from the diolog.

Thoughts on the first special? 

I thought it was... a mixed bag. I enjoyed the antagonist, and it was nice to see some of the old characters back (and Donna's fella might be the most chill guy ever). However, I thought the script was all over the place, and the resolution to one of the big plot points felt very cheap and throwaway, negating the the weight of the issue in an instant. 

29 minutes ago, DFF said:

the resolution to one of the big plot points felt very cheap and throwaway, negating the the weight of the issue in an instant. 

I mean, you've watched Doctor Who written by Russell T Davies before, right?

• Like 2

On 28/11/2023 at 04:13, DFF said:

Thoughts on the first special? 

I thought it was... a mixed bag. I enjoyed the antagonist, and it was nice to see some of the old characters back (and Donna's fella might be the most chill guy ever). However, I thought the script was all over the place, and the resolution to one of the big plot points felt very cheap and throwaway, negating the the weight of the issue in an instant. 

Pretty much concur with all of that. 

That was incredibly underwhelming. Nothing really hit with any oomph, even the bigeneration just kind of felt like... okay?

Looking forward to Xmas, but just really feel like they tried to do too much in too little time and never let this one breathe and explore what it was doing.

I'd consider it the better of the three specials, the bigeneration thing seems a bit naff but I got a feeling this may open up options for the extended universe plans that RTD has been open with.

And as usual the trailer for the Crimbo special, seems a little bit meh.

2nd was definitely the strongest for me. Creepy, fun, story was well plotted, and I'm always a sucker for minimalist Doctor stories.

I think the bigeneration is basically just setting up "TV Doctor" and "Film Doctor", which makes me hopeful that Eight might get treated as a film Doctor and appear alongside Tennant as I feel like they'd have wonderful chemistry.

RTD has done it again, watching Unleashed he points out the Toymaker's old costume being outdated and to correct that, so rather than just pass over it since it was just a bad costume choice at the time, he makes the point to specifically imply that the Toymaker, who was never written as being racist before as being an actual racist.

Exactly, and it's all due to that exact word "celestial", it originates referring to things in the heavens such as the sun and the moon, and because they would rise from the east to a western perspective, it got connected to the east and to Asia, so when the original costume designer saw "Celestial Toymaker" they lent into that with the asian costume.

It's all due to a bad decision of a costume designer, which in the show is an impressive look, but looking at it with a progressive current year view screams racism, and it can't be glossed over because it has zero effect on the character, it has to be pointed out and emphasised because if they don't the same idiots who would outrage over it being racist would then outrage that they are not addressing it.

It does seem ironic that when one group of people are outraged about concepts in Doctor Who they are shunned and called trolls and their opinions are not valid, yet when another group are outraged they bend over backwards to accommodate their criticisms.

I miss the old, alien hopping across the universe encountering an evil alien of the week.

It's also a mostly missing story so it would be easy, the only people who'd know would be the hardcore audience who would understand.

Of the things in The Celestial Toymaker I'd argue that the costume is the least of their worries, and I'm curious how the animation is going to tackle the use of "eeny, meeny, miny, moe" in episode two, which uses an older outdated version of the rhyme which includes the N word, they could get away with it in the audio version by having the narrator speak over it, but you don't need a narrator for an animation.

Also fun fact, the man who religiously recorded off air audio and who we can thank for most of the surviving audio wiped his recording of Celestial Toymaker because he felt it was boring.

• Like 1