Chevelle

Daughtry

The Exies

Fuel

Puddle Of Mudd

Saliva

Seether

Shinedown

Theory Of A Deadman (or as Dragsy calls them, Nickelback-lite)

Three Days Grace

Trapt

I actually have a question. Its not me trying to be a musical snob, or whatever, but I just don't get it. What is it about Nickelback and the other alt rockers that people like? I just don't... get it? To me, its just boring music that straight, white college guys listen to while drinking beer.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

The last couple words must have a lot to do with it. I can see how people find the Tragically Hip boring when sober, but they're at least a thousand times more listenable than Nickelback and their ilk.

I actually have a question. Its not me trying to be a musical snob, or whatever, but I just don't get it. What is it about Nickelback and the other alt rockers that people like? I just don't... get it? To me, its just boring music that straight, white college guys listen to while drinking beer.

It's simple listening, good background music, has some nice tunage and generally you don't have to be any kind of snob to even like, in fact, the less snobby you are the easier they are to listen to. It's not like people are proclaiming them the next Beatles or something, they're just a nice band people like.

Personally, I wouldn't say that Audioslave are in that same category.

Anywho, some have been said, but I'll echo them...

The Exies

Shinedown

Trapt

Smile Empty Soul

Black Light Burns (if you like it a bit more Nine Inch Nails stylee)

Crash Anthem

Operator (Badmotorfinger-esque Soundgarden v.2)

Modern Day Zero

Mercy Fall

Mercy Drive

Maggot Brain (free downloadable albums on last.fm)

Killing For Company (technically British, feat. ex-Stereophonics drummer and tosspot Stuart Cable)

Fivespeed

Finger Eleven

Fireball Ministry

Daughtry

Chevelle

Saliva :bang: God I wanna punch Josey Scott in the neck.

I love the dislike for Nickelback despite the fact they are producing massive songs that, it would appear apart from some internet goers, everyone is seeming to enjoy, or at least buy and want to listen.

I'm not going to preach that Nickelback are this great band, because I don't believe they're amazing. But it seems that it's mainly people who live on the internet that hate them more than anything else. Just an observation.

People knock Nickelback after only hearing their singles, which are similar songs, because they're first song of that style was a massive hit. Their albums are different though and give different styles. 'The State' is alot different to the others too, and is probably the favourite of the four I have for me.

I've listened to a couple of their albums and I still think they're horrible.

Sure they can play their instruments decently but the music that they make just sounds generic as hell, moreso than the other contemporary American rock bands.

And some people like that.

Just because you find them to be 'generic' doesn't mean that you're right. Music elitists tend to believe that their opinion is right, when their favourite underground indie band #4627247 is struggling to pay the bills. Sure, you can say success doesn't equal quality, but they must be doing something right to have a exceedingly large fanbase. I appreciate you might not like them, that's fair enough, but when you start saying shit like they're horrendously generic and their music is terrible then you're an elitist twat.

How is me saying that I think they're horrible being elitist? In my opinion, they're horrible. What exactly is wrong with that?

It'd be different if I came into the thread and said they are horrible but I said that I think they're horrible. And to me, their sound is far too generic for my liking.

Never once did I say in my post that I was right and everybody else was wrong.

So...get the stick out of your ass? :P

Oh yeah, plus I don't think that my musical tastes could be considered elitist as I like a ton of bands that have commercial success.

Edited by Autopilot

What is it about whatever bands you're into that you like? Not everyone feels or reacts the same way to stuff. A guitar riff that somebody loves might not do anything for you. To answer that question you're probably going to have to delve into biology and figure out what it is that controls humans' likes and dislikes, what makes people feel differently than others. There isn't some big secret to a certain genre that if you understand it, you'll automatically like it.

Nickelback have some good songs. But I get bored of them after a while.

Curb is an abomination, and it's not surprising it took them four years to pluck up the courage to record their second album ¬_¬ But if you ignore Curb, they are a decent "background music" band.

Saturday Night's Alright is a brilliant cover. Songs like How You Remind Me, Hollywood, Never Again, Too Bad, Someday, See You At The Show, Should've Listened and Cowboy Hat are decent. Even I like them, in moderation.

Rockstar is catchy, but gets annoying after a while.

The rest is forgettable and 'meh'. And the drummer is fucking useless.

As for other bands.. do the Goo Goo Dolls count? They're literally the only other band on my playlist that get close :P

Edited by Farmer Reil