The Place Where Fallout Purists Whine

Can't repair any of the leaks because my repair skill is too low, and can't deactivate the bomb because my explosives skill is too low, so I pretty much just did Moriarty's quest (ended up killing Silver) and buggered off in search of the radio thing, got to the river, and whilst looking for a way across it I ran into a little kid. Almost shot him as a reflex action (:shifty:) so it took him a while to talk to me, but eventually he gave me a quest somewhere else, so I headed over there.

Moriarty has a quest? How do I get to it? I've missed it.

Can't repair any of the leaks because my repair skill is too low, and can't deactivate the bomb because my explosives skill is too low, so I pretty much just did Moriarty's quest (ended up killing Silver) and buggered off in search of the radio thing, got to the river, and whilst looking for a way across it I ran into a little kid. Almost shot him as a reflex action (:shifty:) so it took him a while to talk to me, but eventually he gave me a quest somewhere else, so I headed over there.

is the "ask about your dad with moriarty, un can do that with a speech, paying caps or hacking his computer

is the "ask about your dad with moriarty, un can do that with a speech, paying caps or hacking his computer

Aye, it's only an optional one. An alternative way to get the information you need to carry on the main storyline if you can't afford to pay him the money he wants, and you can't persuade him to tell you anyway, is a quest. He just wants you to go and get the money he's owed by a druggie chick, so you can pay him that money to get his information.

Also, was I the only one impressed by Simms' totally lackadaisical attitude to his settlement's continued existance? By which I mean the fact that...

the reward he offers you for DISARMING THE NUCLEAR BOMB IN THE MIDDLE OF THE CITY, which I'd have thought was a pretty big favour in the grand scheme of things, wouldn't even buy you one night in Moriarty's? (One night + whore = 120 caps. The reward is 100 caps. I mean, wtf?)
Edited by Farmer Reil

Excellent ApSham, I think my current save is actually on Penns Avenue right now, next time I'm load the game up I'll begin my search again. I don't think I have found the Washington Monument yet but can't be too far off.

By the way, for some reason there is something eerily gratifying about jumping from high area's and plummeting to your death.

I must admit I saved the game and then leapt from the tower of that scumbag who wanted to destroy Megaton.

Still, it's not quite as aesthetically pleasing as takinga fall in Mirror's Edge.

Funny because this is exactly the fall I was thinking of when I post (Tenpenny Tower).

I really enjoyed shooting Butch's head off of his body after failing to help him out. Fuck Butch, I'm the big buck now bitch.

Aye, it's only an optional one. An alternative way to get the information you need to carry on the main storyline if you can't afford to pay him the money he wants, and you can't persuade him to tell you anyway, is a quest. He just wants you to go and get the money he's owed by a druggie chick, so you can pay him that money to get his information.

Also, was I the only one impressed by Simms' totally lackadaisical attitude to his settlement's continued existance? By which I mean the fact that...

the reward he offers you for DISARMING THE NUCLEAR BOMB IN THE MIDDLE OF THE CITY, which I'd have thought was a pretty big favour in the grand scheme of things, wouldn't even buy you one night in Moriarty's? (One night + whore = 120 caps. The reward is 100 caps. I mean, wtf?)

You can get a lot more out of him if your speechcraft is high enough.

Nothing compares to
leading a zombie uprising and then ransacking
Tenpenny Tower.

This is true. Especially when,

You convince everyone to let the zombies in and then tell the lead zombie that they're not getting it.

Grrrr.

So, I've just gone through

the collapsed car tunnel outside the GNR building, and out the other side to the bit outside of the DuPont Circle Station
and I notice some Feral Ghouls attacking a load of guys near a fountain. So my instinct takes over and thinks "humans... ghouls... let's shoot the ghouls". So I do, and then run over the fountain to say hello. Landmine, ouch, landmine, ouch, landmine, shit... Phew, made it with about 4hp to spa... ah crap, they're fucking Raiders. Dead. Reload.

Right, so this time I take care to let the ghouls engage the raiders properly, and with the help of some awesome VATS shots and pretty well aimed manual shots, I take down all the surviving Raiders. Awesome. Fallout 3 has caused an error and needs to close. Ok | Debug.

Fuck you :'( Now I have to do it all again and I can't be arsed.

Whew...

So, I'm in the

Our Lady Hope Hospital
and there are fucking Super Mutants everywhere. Luckily, I'm uber sneaky guy. So, armed with a mere hunting rifle, I take one out with a Sneak Critical VATS-assisted Headshot, most awesome and also disgusting thing I've seen in the game so far. I take his buddy down with a few regular shots to the head, then I set a trap near them by saturating the area with mines (this was a bad idea, with hindsight), thinking I can use this area as a safety net later if necessary.

Very soon after I get caught out, schoolboy error. A nice manual sneak-crit headshot, but there was another mutant behind some shelves that I didn't see, so I take a few pops with my hunting rifle and finish him off with a sledgehammer. Then three more show up out of the blue and it starts getting a bit hairy, so I run back to my trap, firing a few shots off with my crappy pistol and lie in wait with a minigun. Unfortunately one of them obviously had trouble fitting through the door, so was lagging behind. I then realised one of my pistol shots had managed to cripple another one's leg. End result: One mutant gets there first and sets off all the mines by himself. He explodes in a shower of gore, and the other two are unharmed (except the crippled leg ¬_¬). So, with nowhere left to run I unleash my minigun, the cripple goes down easily, but the other guy manages to throw a grenade at me, and the only place I can run is towards him, so I do... slamming home my two remaining shotgun shells as I go and firing them into his guts as I run past. Then, from the relative safety of some collapsed shelves, I manage to VATS-headshot away his remaining bar of health with my pistol.

I love this game. I love how you've always got rubbish weapons, and hardly ever got any ammo for them.

I also love the little scripted bits all over the place too, like...

when you're in the sewers before the hospital, and the Techyon Mercs are fighting off three Super Mutants. If you sneak up behind them and don't let them see you (or possibly even if they do see you - although they're hostile they didn't put up much of a fight when I started attacking them), one of them says words to the effect of "I didn't sign up for this shit!" and runs off, leaving his mate to get mauled by the mutants. Of course, I was there to politely cave his skull in with a sledgehammer, and he probably didn't sign up for that either, but that's what he gets for being a traitorous coward in my book. :shifty:

I love little things like that, stuff that has nothing to do with the storyline or anything, but are just left there for you to find.

Edited by Farmer Reil

Quick Question, do the enemies "level up" as your character does?

The reason i'm asking is because i ran into my first "Super Mutant Master" in the Museum of Technology today, the bastard shot me to pieces (He also had help from a Super Mutant on a flight of stairs.) Also, i ran into a few Mirelurk Kings inside that Oasis Cave.

I'm currently Level 7 or 8 if it helps...

It does, and when you enter a new area, it locks at that level.

So, if you ran all over the wasteland at level 1, every enemy would be locked to level 1, so you could walk in at level 10 or 15 and just kill everything with no problem.