The Place Where Fallout Purists Whine

If you're going to use a companion, use Cass. ;)

Veronica, just because I like the idea of wandering the post apocalyptic wasteland with Felicia Day.

• Like 1

The real correct answer is Raul by the way.

Followed Pete's advice and became an utter dick. It's more fun wandering around Megaton as the Sheriff after killing Lucas and stealing his clothes. Did the jobs I wanted to around Megaton and stole from the armory, before blowing up the bomb and dropping my sheriff's duster for my new home in Tenpenny Tower, so now I have to decide what to do about the Ghouls, but for now I'm heading to Rivet City to try and continue the main story. Basically plowed a ton of my skills into speech, lockpicking and barter, so I'm swimming in money, but I struggled against multiple super mutants, which means I'll probably go hunting for a companion to use as a meat shield for a while. Enjoying it more now, and following roads rather than wandering off seems to result in more fun encounters (it's like the opposite of Skyrim >_> ).

Finished the main story at the weekend. It was good, but not as good as I was hoping for. The fact that the final stretch was basically just "let the robot fight for you, then shoot Colonel Autumn a couple of times" was a massive let down. I was hoping the robot would turn on me and I'd have to fight that. Still, good game with a fun feel. Started a second save where I'm trying to do all the sidequests instead of the main story, but I still managed to be sheriff since Mr Burke wound up killing Lucas when I grassed him out (last play through I killed Lucas).

• 7 years later...

Bit of a bump but since this isn't specific to 4/76, this feels like the best thread for it.

Feel like most of the points are pretty spot on. Haven't played 76 so if it's true that one of the best parts of the game is "you can take screenshots" which has been true for every single game in the series, that is sort of sad. But otherwise not sure I would make any different choices.

On 07/05/2013 at 12:19, Ace Berimmer said:

I love pairing ED-E and Boone in NV and then having them pick off opponents I haven't even seen yet...

Until you try the Deathclaw quarry. I've never had a companion go in there and come out alive. I can manage to unarmed the entire pack to death with the right build and a loooooooot of chems, but getting a companion to survive?

EDIT- Just noticed the timestamp. Point still stands tho.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I just re-installed New Vegas and I'm playing in for the first time in about 8 years. I'm trying to mod it properly this time using Vortex. The last time I played In simply installed mods manually which led to my game being an unstable mess. This time I'm leaving my load order entirely to Vortex. Let's hope it works.

Edited by Hellraiser
  • Like 2

On 04/09/2020 at 16:07, Hellraiser said:

I just re-installed New Vegas and I'm playing in for the first time in about 8 years. I'm trying to mod it properly this time using Vortex. The last time I played In simply installed mods manually which led to my game being an unstable mess. This time I'm leaving my load order entirely to Vortex. Let's hope it works.

I wanted to start New Vegas, but I remember I had to download some patch so it didn't constantly crash all the time.  You know what patch it is?

11 hours ago, Lint said:

I wanted to start New Vegas, but I remember I had to download some patch so it didn't constantly crash all the time.  You know what patch it is?

New Vegas Anti Crash is the first that comes to mind, but there are several unofficial patches and bugfixes that help the game run smoothly without crashing. I used this guide from the Fallout New Vegas subreddit as a point of reference to modding my game. 

• 1 month later...

Just finished Dead Money again. Always felt that this DLC ended a bit abruptly. Never liked that you don't get a chance to talk to your companions one more time before you leave. Not even to recruit them. Just to say your goodbyes. 

Spoiler

When I first played it I assumed that you could talk to Christine again after escaping the vault. You do tell her to stay put before you enter the elevator which takes you to the vault. But instead after you dealt with Elijah and made your escape you get magically teleported to the Villa fountain and all your companions vanish from the game. 

• 11 months later...

Last night I played the original Fallout on my very own home computer. Aren't I fancy? 😮 Anyway I wish it held my hand a little more. Creepy old dude told me I was the only chance to save the vault. Cool so far I guess. I had to go find a water filter so I left my vault and ninja kicked a bunch of cave rats until I figured out how to equip my gun :P  Then after 20 minutes or so I figured out how to leave the cave and go to the vault the old man told me might be a good place to start. Only instead of a vault it was an outside area with more rats! I gunned them bastards down but then I couldn't figure out where to go next. Does it get any easier to navigate or am I doomed to wander the same two screens of the wasteland forever?