The Place Where Fallout Purists Whine

Dead Money is fun but REALLY FUCKING HARD, I died more times during it than ever playing FO3 or F:NV combined.

Honest Hearts (the one with Joshua Graham) is fun, but the companions (except Graham, who is awesome) are annoying. Especially the Sorrows one... quit fucking praying, I get it, you're religious. Also unlike Dead Money, you can bring stuff with you... only you're limited to a carry of 100 pounds.

• 3 weeks later...

I started a new game of Fallout 3 the other day (never have finished one myself, but I've seen it finished several times), and MAN I forgot just how immersive and well done the whole atmosphere of this game is. Truly gives you that "there's nothing left" feeling like few games have ever managed to do for me.

Ugh...I don't like how all the main storylines have the same few missions....

Get the Boomers on your side, deal with the brotherhood of steel, President Kimble

Surely they could have thought of something different for each of House/NCR/Legion/Solo.

Edit: I'm done! I have gotten 1000/1000 for both Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas! ^_^

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That is some silky smooth voice acting right there. Played a bit of it so far, and I'm rather enjoying it. Deathclaws are even more frightening to me now. they're ninjas I tell ya'.

Edited by Ekiyashi

• 2 weeks later...

Right, picked up New Vegas for about £7 and have already blown close to 50 hours into it in about a week.

And very suddenly I've came to realise how disappointing Fallout 3 really was and what it could have been, as immersive as it was... there was no real reason to continue the main quest once you escaped the main vault. You'd lived in the vault all your life and now you were free... so shouldn't really care about what happened in the vault because it's managed to free you into the open world.

With New Vegas you have about three key questions that you want to answer before you even head on out to Vegas:

1) Who tried to kill me?

2) Why did they try to kill me?

3) What does that robot have to do with anything?

What do you know, if you give people a kick start towards the main quest then they'll actually have an incentive to do it.

Now regarding endings.

In Fallout 3, it makes almost no sense to have such a closed ending, given that the main storyline completely contrasts with the motivations of the player just surviving in the wasteland.

Yet, in Fallout: New Vegas you have a reason to pursue the main quest AND CAN COMPLETELY RESHAPE THE WORLD. It makes sense to have a closed up ending and makes the game even better for doing so because we finally have closure on an epic tale that the player has essentially created.

I haven't been this immersed in a game since Red Dead Redemption and with Fallout: New Vegas we're looking at a populated map about twice the size (or about the same... but with much more to do) I've already completed the game once and actively want to play the game over again with different characters to create different scenarios. I could play another game becoming a legion member, or another game siding with the NCR... and that's even before I head into Vegas and start the main quest where I can do practically anything!

Wheras once I finished Fallout 3... I just gave up on it. There was nothing that I could really do in the next play through that I hadn't already done before.

Every flaw has been fixed (bar some glitches, but that sorta comes with having such a fantastic world with so much happening in it) I can't wait to start on the DLC >_>

Edited by The General

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone play Lonesome Road yet? I've gotten through almost all of it but the game froze at what I'm fairly sure is the final battle <_<

Not-really-spoilerlyness:

Beware, for there be Deathclaws in pairs.

Spoilerness:

Clone of ED-E is in Lonesome Road~!

Uylesses is tough, he has healing drones and a bunch of other goodies with him. Also he has much more than just the flagpost in his disposal... he opened the fight with a flashbang grenade

Major fucking huge spoiler:

So Courier Six founded a community in the divide, but unknowingly nuked it when he brought a strange device from deep in NCR territory to it. Uylesses is pissed not because of the people lost but because he saw how easily an idealistic nation can be destroyed.

Really good stuff so far.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I borrowed this from a friend. For a game that is, quite frankly, quite mediocre in terms of gameplay, I sure have played a lot. The combat system is atrocious, but for some reason I keep moving along the story.

• 2 months later...

I just got my PC back online about a week ago and, today, set up the 360 controller to work with it and started a new character in New Vegas. The dual analog is actually not an awful replacement for a mouse and keyboard but if I were playing a more combat oriented character I might feel differently. I'm at level 8, just did the Legion quest to assassinate the commanders at Camp Forlorn Hope (thank you, Silenced 22). I'm waiting until I have some more cash to go back to my main character, because I want to get the rest of the DLC (missing Lonesome Road and Gun Runners Arsenal) before continuing that. Plus, that character is linked to a Cube Diary I eventually need to update.

I haven't made a Fallout 1 run in years. The last time I tried Ian blocked me in the Military Base and wouldn't leave the doorway.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...