Nintendo 'may' announce a new DS type at E3

PkmnTrainerJ

The president of Enterbrain, which is the parent company of the highly regarded Japanese games magazine Famitsu, claims Nintendo may unveil a new version of its best-selling DS handheld system in July.

Hirokazu Hamamura said: "Nintendo might be readying to show off the third iteration of its handheld system later this year during the E3 Media and Business Summit".

Nintendo chief Reggie Fils-Aime has previously said his firm is planning some "fantastic" announcements for this year's E3 exhibition in Los Angeles.

Responding to the claims, however, a Nintendo UK spokesman told MCV that the firm "doesn’t comment on rumour or speculation”.

This year's three-day E3 show will run from Tuesday, July 15.

Source: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/a93832/...ed-in-july.html

What could you really change on it? Take away the GBA port, or allow GBA wireless connectivity via the usual DS way, or maybe online PictoChat (as the DS manuals now note it is an offline chat service)?

Maybe something to go with the Wii? Though maybe not, I don't think the GBA/GC thing really took off. Like you say tough, there's not really much else to do with it.

The DS can already connect to and control the Wii for certain games. Wiiware is making use of it. It's down via DS Download Play.

Also, the Everybody's Nintendo Channel allows the DS to connect via DS Download Play to get demos and the like.

I've heard they may ditch the Gameboy Advance port altogether (and to be honest, the type of people who are buying the thing barely use it anyway), increase the size of the screens (how that will work with current games programmed for 256 x 192 I don't know) and introduce some sort of flash memory storage so you can store anything you download from the Wii for later use (demos etc.).

But in all honesty I don't think they need to change anything unless they just want to make it thinner, but is there even much point in that? It's still currently the best selling console on the planet AFAIK (not total sales, but current weekly sales in all regions added up).

If a new version is what it takes to make new DS's less than impossible to find in high street shops, I'm all for it. >_>

(Not that I necessarily would buy a new one from a high street shop anyway, but I need to have their continual presence in front of my eyes to keep tempting me or otherwise I'll never get one at all)

I've heard they may ditch the Gameboy Advance port altogether (and to be honest, the type of people who are buying the thing barely use it anyway), increase the size of the screens (how that will work with current games programmed for 256 x 192 I don't know) and introduce some sort of flash memory storage so you can store anything you download from the Wii for later use (demos etc.).

But in all honesty I don't think they need to change anything unless they just want to make it thinner, but is there even much point in that? It's still currently the best selling console on the planet AFAIK (not total sales, but current weekly sales in all regions added up).

It is still selling extremely well in most regions but apparently it has peaked in Japan thus causing this rumour of a new version to try and get the Japanese sales kicking again.

It is still selling extremely well in most regions but apparently it has peaked in Japan thus causing this rumour of a new version to try and get the Japanese sales kicking again.

In that case then it'll probably be Japan only for a while until sales slow down in other regions. I certainly can't see that happening here for a while, with people still going apeshit over Brain Training and the like.

Clever plubby. We all know that Nintendo has won every generation of handhelds and for good reasons - excellent marketing, great appeal across age and gender ranges, ongoing characters and series spanning generations and also some quality titles. There was no way they could lose to Sony this time around. However as we all know I personally prefer the PSP having owned both titles and not really finding many DS games to my entertainment (besides the frankly excellent Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan!, Trauma Centre and the groovy Lost In Blue 1 & 2).

I must admit though, being able to save movies, music etc to watch and listen to on the go along with games is groovy.

Still not as groovy as Guitar Hero coming out on the DS with a four button attachment that plugs into the console...Very cool.

I'd be upset if they took away the GBA port.

How else will I play illegal games? ¬.¬

With Slot 1 flash carts that plug into the DS slot that have been out for over a year >_<

Taking away the GBA slot will make Activision pissed, as that would mean Guitar Hero On Tour wouldn't work with the new DS. The main thing I could see Nintendo adding is a Virtual Console for the DS of Game Boy, Game Boy Colour and Game Boy Advanced games. It makes sense with the success of the Wii VC, but it would regular the DS to have some internal memory to be really useful.

The DS can already connect to and control the Wii for certain games. Wiiware is making use of it. It's down via DS Download Play.

Also, the Everybody's Nintendo Channel allows the DS to connect via DS Download Play to get demos and the like.

Everybodys Nintendo Channel? I don't have that.

Everybodys Nintendo Channel? I don't have that.

Japan only right now, they have announced it's on the way but no date has been set for US or Europe