The Offspring "Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace"

Maxx

The Offspring have finally announced a release date for their next album, Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace, its coming out on June 17.

I know we've had a thread on here about how everyone loves The Offspring, so I figure I can't be the only one looking forward to this release. Can't Repeat from their Greatest Hits record was one of the best songs they've done in a few years IMO, so I really hope they keep going in that direction. Sucks they lost Atom to Angels and Airwaves though.

You can download the first single "Hammerhead" for free here...http://www.offspring.com/widget.

Its a little different, but also a big move back to the sound they had around Americana's release. Definitely a nice move away from the way too sugary sound Splinter and some of Conspiracy of One had.

See, I lump Conspiracy of One in with Americana in terms of sound, Splinter was more of a different step, but I still liked it. And I agree about Can't Repeat being ace too.

Downloaded Hammerhead a few days ago, only got round to listening to it today, and I like. Hopefully they haven't played it to safe and gone and made Americana all over again, but yeah, stepping back a bit from Splinter is wise.

Lovin' the new single and I heart this band so very much. It does suck that Atom had to leave the band, but Pete is pretty experienced and I trust he can give the drums a good hammering. I also like AVA, so it's kinda win-win anyway. I can't wait for this album.

"Can't Repeat" was shite...it sounded like a dull version of "The Kids Aren't Alright". I swear to god the choruses are so fucking similar it's cringeworthy.

To be honest I never GOT Offspring outside of maybe 10 or so tracks in their entire catalogue. Always seemed a bit bland. The new song, again has blandness to it, but it's good, although it hasn't changed my feelings on them, so I doubt I'll give the album a whirl unless I hear MAJOR things about it.

Hey, it only took them half a lifetime to get this thing out. Seriously, weren't they talking about release dates in 06? No wonder why they wanted to steal the title "Chinese Democracy." And what's up with the weird four random word song title trend? First the Foo Fighters with "Echoes, Silence, Patience and Grace" and now "Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace?" Wasn't there another similar title like that recently as well?

Also, The Offspring may hold the record for being able to hang onto some semblance of relevance despite having one good album for any band ever. Seriously, anything post-Smash ranges from mediocre to absolute shit, generally the latter. Ixnay's not a horrible album and there were about two good songs on Americana before they got rammed up my ass on every radio station in the country when I was in high school. The new song isn't horrible, but it's definitely an Offspring song, which means I've heard it about 26 other singles since 1994. Still, there's far more offensive music out there, so I won't complain too much.

While I didn't really hear them on the radio a lot (then again, I didn't listen to the radio much) I agree somewhat with Zero. I haven't really liked any album apart from Smash. I checked out Americana and Ixnay and.. eh. They're not really something I'd listen to more than once, whereas with Smash I still like to go back and listen to "Come Out And Play" (mostly ECW and Raven's fault), the "Killboy Powerhead" cover and "Self Esteem".

Edited by Running Zombie Cloudy

And what's up with the weird four random word song title trend? First the Foo Fighters with "Echoes, Silence, Patience and Grace" and now "Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace?" Wasn't there another similar title like that recently as well?

You could argue "Blood Sugar Sex Magik" was the first.

I love how Americana really got them noticed (certainly over here, I suspect it was Smash or Ixnay for Americans), and then it becomes cool for people to shit all over it, Conspiracy of One and Splinter. Splinter's not amazing, but the other two albums are still pretty good, and I enjoy them as much as the previous albums no problem.

I love how Americana really got them noticed (certainly over here, I suspect it was Smash or Ixnay for Americans), and then it becomes cool for people to shit all over it, Conspiracy of One and Splinter. Splinter's not amazing, but the other two albums are still pretty good, and I enjoy them as much as the previous albums no problem.

Smash got them recognized over here. It's still, typically, considered their best album by just about everyone. Ixnay's okay, Americana's an improvement, and then after that it's all pretty bland. The new single sounds like they're just trying to redo what was cool a decade ago, and it'll be good for a 5-minute nostalgia run and then we'll all forget about it.

Hey, it only took them half a lifetime to get this thing out. Seriously, weren't they talking about release dates in 06? No wonder why they wanted to steal the title "Chinese Democracy." And what's up with the weird four random word song title trend? First the Foo Fighters with "Echoes, Silence, Patience and Grace" and now "Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace?" Wasn't there another similar title like that recently as well?

It's code for "this record is just like the last one". After all, the Foos record sounded like every other record they've made for the past ten years, and as much as I love the Foos, ESPG got really old after a listen.