The Summer Transfer Thread

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that is a poor excuse. We're supposed to be looking to break the top four. The fact is these days you have to spend the money throughout the squad to even have a look in.

We need a constant goalscorer to challenge Carew and Agbonlahor. Heskey won't get 15+ goals a season, nor will Doyle I'd imagine.

He seems to have concentrated on a striker and has failed to bring one in. Other clubs are splashing money on strikers. Same old Villa really.

When was the last time we spent nearly £50m on new players? Hardly same old Villa.

The difference is it HAD to be done. Other clubs are happily spending it. O'Neill came out today and said it was difficult to sign a striker, simply because he won't pay over the odds. Other clubs are doing it, that is the difference. Now we have Agbonlahir, Carew, Harewood and Delf for Premiership, League Cup, and UEFA Cup matches? Nice one.

Same old Villa when all of the issues aren't looked at. We always have something wrong.

On the topic of Robinho, you can't blame him for moving to City when the only other option was rotting in the Madrid reserves.

Yeah, the best part of this is how Man City fans were a big part of hating on Chelsea's spending power and financial bullying.

Yet they'll act like it's fine for them to do it now.

And vice versa. I've seen Chelsea fans complaining about City's new-found spending power.

I think ultimately, when it comes down to the fact that your club has a shitload of cash, as a fan you don't really care where it has come from and would just like to see your team spend it, even if you have been critical in the past of clubs like Chelsea for their constant spending.

It's probably more the fact that all the reasons they gave for hating the Chelsea spending, will apply to them as well but they won't care that's going to annoy me. The City fans who probably went on about how Chelsea bought their way to the title and we're that great until they became rich, then if the same happens to City it's going to be a massive double standard.

Personally I don't mind. Football is a business and a money making business at that, rich owners are needed for the top league in the world to progress - however my main concern that it'll just highlight the gulf in difference between the Premiership and the Championship (sans QPR). With continuing foreign investment like this, it's only going to widen the difference between the two leagues and make it even harder for a Championship team to stay in the Premiership should they go up.

I dunno, I'd think I'd rather support a team of local lads and club heroes who have a real sense of a team rather than a team who just buys every flavour of the month with each player there for the cash and nothing more, even if they aren't as successful. It's why I have a soft spot for quite a few mid range teams, such as Villa, Fulham (best central mid combo ever with Bullard and Murphy! :wub:) etc.

Also, it'd have to affect the potential for future England players, who may not get a chance to prove themselves with all the big names in the club. Look at O'Hara, just before he debuted he was on loan at a League One side, but when he got his chance he took it with both hands and is now a permanent member of the team.

Yeah. To clarify in regards to all this talk of what 'Chelsea fans' think: my hatred in this instance is directed at Real Madrid, not City or their money.

Indeed, at the end of the day Real Madrid was the team that unfairly dismissed any kind of move to Chelsea. The Monsters!

SSN are reporting the new owners of City are saying that they're interested in Cristiano Ronaldo and that "to get him we'd have to bid around £135m".

If Man U didn't want to sell to Real Madrid, I really doubt they'll want to sell to Man City. Regardless of that stupid sum of money.

Bwahahah.

City's owners are playing FM with an unlimited money cheat it seems.

To be fair, if they offer £135 and Ronaldo a stupid sum of money, they'll get him.

January and next Summer are going to be very interesting if they're that willing to bid for players, they'll have some team next season.

Yeah. To clarify in regards to all this talk of what 'Chelsea fans' think: my hatred in this instance is directed at Real Madrid, not City or their money.

Indeed, at the end of the day Real Madrid was the team that unfairly dismissed any kind of move to Chelsea. The Monsters!

While the shirt was a presumptive and stupid thing to do, it in no way compares to the dick move of Real's in toying with what Robinho clearly stated he wanted. How can you effectively give the guy a choice of "a place which isn't where you want to go to [City] or most likely not playing at all for half a year or more [staying at Madrid] - and you have one hour to decide" out of fucking spite?

Edited by stokeriño

There does reach a point where a club is so audacious and arrogant with its bidding that the target club/manager/board will just say "fuck you" and refuse any bid. And besides - what's the use of letting one club buy the 'dream team', even if you get a load of money? So that you can be well financed in your bid to finish 2nd?

Who were Chelsea's first signings back in the day? Wayne Bridge, Damien Duff etc? At least our £100m spree had some sense of perspective. :shifty:

Edited by stokeriño