Songs That Mock The Industry/Band/Genre

Farmer Reil

"Big Dumb Sex" by Soundgarden is a piss-take of the mid-late 80s glam metal stuff.

It's ironic that Guns N' Roses went on to cover it (along with T-Rex's "Buick Makane" in the same song) when they are as close to glam metal as possible without being glam metal.

Must resist urge to kill. :shifty:

would EMI by the Sex Pistols count?

Absolutely.

A lot of Chumbawamba's early work did this, especially the album "Pictures of Starving Children Sell Records".

D.O.A. had the songs "Disco Sucks" and "New Wave Sucks".

The Rotters "Sit on my face Stevie Nix" is making a mockery of Stevie Nix.

Frank Zappa took a lot of jabs at the industry, especially the album titled "We're Only In It For the Money".

The Kids "Old D.J.'s" is one more I can think of.

Edit - Wait, one more. Lard's "70's Rock Must Die".

Edited by VerbalPuke

"Fuck The Sex Pistols" by Modern Life Is War

The grass was never green. There was never purity.

Some say it's all over. Stupid fucking jaded burnouts.

Young ones, carry on. Destroy and annoy.

Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey!

Fuck The Glory Days!

Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey!

Fuck The Glory Days!

Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey!

Fuck The Glory Days!

Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey!

We don't care what you think. We don't care what you say.

You don't get to decide. It's ours. Go Away. Shut up......

....shut the fuck...up.

:wub: :wub: :wub:

Best 1-minute song ever

D.E.A.D. R.A.M.O.N.E.S. by them as well in fact.

"Sell Out" by Reel Big Fish if I feel like being a dick. Which I do.

See, "D.E.A.D.R.A.M.O.N.E.S", I don't really know. It's about the 'punk' lifestyle...but I don't see it mocking it. It's more of a nostalgic, positive look on it, IMO. I don't know though, I could be well wrong. It's a killer track though, and hands down their best. Can't believe they broke up. Awesome band.

Whereas "Fuck The Sex Pistols" is basically a massive "Fuck You" to all those annoying as fuck old school punks who are like "This isn't punk, there's no 'scene' these days. It's not the same".

Edited by YI

I'm gonna be a big lesbian for mentioning Ani DiFranco, but her song "Napoleon" is a slam on the recording industry.

I :wub: DiFranco.

Same here. I'm surprised no one's mentioned Radio Radio by Elvis Costello or The Last DJ by Tom Petty, but those are mainly about Mainstream radio. Then again, the industry wouldn't exist without Mainstream radio.

How is Kiss Me, I'm Shitfaced an anti-anything song? Its a fun drunk ramble about trying to pull a chick.

Well, the tales he tells of the band and his own prowess as a musician/person could very well be considered humorously putting themselves down.

Forgot "Ska Sucks" by Propagandhi. Also "Back To The Motor League" which calls out college rock artists, but the entire song isn't just about the music industry as such.

"What Happened?" by H20 (ft. Matt Skiba) is a recent example;

When it began, for those who don't know

it didn't matter how you looked or what you wore to a show

dress code, FUCK NO! we didn't care

about the brand of your jeans and all that shit in your hair

But now the biggest part is all about the image and not the art

Fashion before passion!

And it makes, it makes me mad that I should have to ask:

What happened to the passion? (passion!)

What the reason for screaming?

What happened the music and the message that I love?

What happened to the hard work? (hard work!)

And why does everybody look the same?

What happened the music and the message that I love?

Actually H20 have quite a lot of "The scene was so much better" kind of sungs. Which would be massively 'eugh' if they weren't so god damn catchy. :shifty:

"Emo Holocaust" by Death By Stereo, which features one of my favourite lyrics ever;

Its a death, the death of your kind.

Emo Holcaust, your blood is mine.

Your sweater can't save you now.

AT THE END OF MY CUL-DE-SAC, DAVEY HAVOK'S HOUSE IS PAINTED BLACK.

The only good NOFX song.

Also, I second Pictures Of Starving Children Sell Records - as biting and cynical a satire of mainstream music at the time as you will ever find. It was recorded just after Live Aid, and basically slags off the self-righteousness of musicians "changing the world" and the trend for "charity, not change", and the hypocrisy of multi-millionaires like Paul McCartney telling us what to do with our money.

I'm glad someone mentioned "Pull My Strings" by Dead Kennedys - there's not a lot that Jello Biafra's had a hand in that isn't slagging off someone, though. A bit of a stretch, but on the theme of "the scene is dead" type songs, Biafra and Mojo Nixon's "Nostalgia For An Age That Never Existed" fits the bill, even if it's not so much mocking the industry.

The band Cracktown have a fantastic song called Some Folk Have All The Luck about how they'll never be as successful as they would have been if they'd had a tortured childhood, with the chorus line "Why didn't you diddle me Daddy like some other kids dads do, I could've been a tortured genius if it hadn't been for you".