Spider-Man 4...and maybe 5...News

TGC

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I can't imagine them not bringing Venom back... at least the suit if anything.

On another note, I'm all for giving the boot to Tobey and Kirstin. They looked bored on the press tour and even more bored in the movie. Bring in Jake Gyllenhaal. I know they're talking Patrick Fugit, I like that guy and I know they can do some amazing camera tricks, but isn't that guy shorter than Rey Mysterio? Look out! Here comes lil' spidey.

I'm all up for changing the leads, though I have to say, the one thing I liked about Spiderman 3 was the backstory to Sandman. The character had a lot more depth than I ever imagined, which was cool. But everything else kind of sucked.

Michael Angarano

Ugh. I'll boycott the films if he's involved. Terrible, terrible actor.

Agreed.

Villainwise, I'd like to see them use the Lizard and Scorpion, if possible. *Maybe* Mysterio, but it would require a costume redesign as the "fishbowl" helmet wouldn't translate well to film and would remind people too much of Spaceballs.

Morbius and the Lizard, used in an adaptation of the classic 6-armed Spidey story would be awesome, but I believe the rights to Morbius are in someone else's hands, as there had been talk about him being the villain in a Blade movie.

Maguire should have left after Spidey 2. Similar to the way Michael Keeton fit the role of Batman in the first two movies of that series, Maguire fit the role of Spidey perfectly in the first two movies. However in the ladder part of Spiderman 2, the spiderman character really evolved into a heroic state, and it was a state they held onto in the third film. To me, Maguire was never able to sell that role, and side of Peter. He was gold at being the hard luck, unconfident, dorky character that he needed to be in the first two movies to portray Peter Parker. However in the third movie, Parker was more confident, more bold, and after acquiring the suit, those qualities were only enhanced. I personally think Topher Grace (whom I loved as Brock) would have made a much better Peter Parker, since he would have been able to sell the confidence that Parker now possess, while still being able to show that Parker is still that hard luck, dorky kind of guy.

And Kristen is meh to me… so replacing her isn’t a loss at all. Especially since one of the named mentioned to replace her is Mandy Moore. :w00t:

And Kristen is meh to me… so replacing her isn’t a loss at all. Especially since one of the named mentioned to replace her is Mandy Moore. :w00t:

I'm there.

...and now I'm finished.

Edited by YI

I personally think they buried the Venom storyline too much; and I do wonder what the story would've unfolded as if they went with the original plan of Sandman and the Vulture. But I think that they really shouldn't try and build on the baggage of Spidey-3 and try and build up something new. In my eyes Spider-Man has got three arch-nemesiseseses in Goblin, Doc Ock and Venom. Now all of them are gone - so I think that they should try and get things going and build on Spider-Man's massive Rogue Gallery.

I personally think Lizard/Connors should definitely be something to work on because they have that emotional connection that Sony seems to love so much. But as a two-movie story-arc? I doubt it'd fly.Unless they develop their own version of the sinister six. The only problem is who'd run it since the Doc's...well, dead.

And I've always thought that an opening action sequence where Spider-Man defeats Rhino would look brilliant...

That's definately something I would like to see... is just like a 3-5 minute scene of Spidey taking care of random villains. There are some villains that wouldn't translate well to the big screen, or wouldn't be able to hold their own story, so you could toss them in like that... and that way, you've introduced some extra villains, so say you want a Sinister Six type group in the sixth film... well, then you use the resurrected Norman Osborne as the leader, have The Sandman be lured in with the promise of not only money, but Osborne's own personal assistance regarding Sandy's daughter... and grab 4 of the villains who had extremely small parts in the previous two films. Maybe Rhino, Vulture, Kraven and Mysterio?

I agree.

Also, needs Shocker as a villain. Even if he just gets beaten in like 5 minutes.

If The Shocker's in it, we need to see this:

7655~Shocker-Posters.jpg

And as far as direction goes for the Spidey movies, I definitely agree that they need to replace Maguire and Dunst, but where in the fuck do they go after the shitstorm that was Spidey 3? They absolutely destroyed any chance of a respectable Venom storyline, and if he came back I think that'd just get shit all over too. I have no clue what was going on in the mind's of the script writers or Sam Raimi during the time of Spidey 3.

As for Carnage, I just don't know if that'll ever go through.

If they're gonna just try to rejuvinate the whole thing, to be honest, I'd kinda like to see them go the Ultimate Spidey route. It might be a bit harder to find a GOOD set of younger actors who can pull it all off, but damned if I don't wanna see Gwen get a bigger role.

Plus, seeing Gwen getting murdered by Carnage would be awesome.

That'll never happen either, though, for many reasons (the inclusion of other Marvel characters mostly, rejuvinating the movies and trying to bank on people actually coming to see what are essentially the same as Spidey 1 and Spidey 2, finding GOOD, young actors, etc.)

Edited by Will Kemp

I'd really doubt they'd risk a reboot. Considering how well 1 + 2 came off I'd doubt they would.

That said, playing the Spider-Man 3 game; I think a movie in which Spidey has to try and tackle the Lizard but stop Kraven from killing him might work. The emotional angle? Perhaps Petey is finding himself getting more spider-like and that there's something going up with his mutation and then you have an underlying theme of whether Spider-Man will lose his humanity and end up becoming an uncontrollable humanoid spider. Or something like The Lizard...

And the more I think about it...the more I'm beginning to wonder whether the Sinister six would work...

I don't really see how Carnage wouldn't work, surely if Carnage can be done justice in the 1994 animated series (for ages 7 and up) he can be done justice in a PG-13 motion picture. Sure, there will have to be some limitations, but if it's done right (and that should probably be stressed) then it could work out just fine.

• 2 months later...
Sony Pictures are about to wrap up deals that will see Sam Raimi return to direct, and Tobey Maguire return to star in, Spider-Man 4 and Spider-Man 5.

Yes, two more Spider-Man films, which will be shot back-to-back, starting in the autumn of 2009, with the first set for release in 2011.

Returning with Raimi and Maguire - who have yet to officially sign anything, but it's only a matter of time - will be producers Laura Ziskin and Avi Arad.

There’s been no word yet on Kirsten Dunst, although Mary-Jane Watson will apparently feature in Spider-Man 4, the script for which has been written by Zodiac scribe, James Vanderbilt. The villain hasn’t been confirmed, although a source of columnist Nikki Finke, who originally reported the story, says that, "once you find out who the villain is, you'll know who's playing it." Intriguing…

We have to say that, though Raimi’s involvement had been rumoured for a while, we’re a little surprised that Maguire is willing to come back to play Peter Parker. The impression we got from Maguire during press duties for Spider-Man 3 was that he was perhaps done with the character, and was keen to break away from typecasting. Clearly that wasn’t the case – and we’re glad. Recasting the role would have been possible, but Maguire has excelled in the role so far, so we’re glad to see him back.

However, he’s not getting any younger, either, which is perhaps another reason why 4 and 5 might be shot back-to-back, so that Maguire, who’s 33 now, can still convince as a 20something Peter Parker come 2011 or 2012.

Spider-Man 3, of course, made a ton of money worldwide, so there’s no surprise that Sony were keen to make more Spider-movies. But it was also a huge critical disappointment and a massive letdown following the heights hit by Spider-Man 2. So perhaps Raimi’s return to the directing chair is a tacit admission on his part that Spider-Man 3 wasn’t all it could be. Let’s hope that Spider-Man 4 (and 5) is a return to form for one of the most brilliant and naturally talented directors in the business.

Now, go Spidey, go!

The fact they're returning genuinely dissapoints me, but the good news is that we've finally basically confirmed The Lizard, one of my favourite Spidey characters :w00t: