2008/2009 NBA Thread v2.0

jrtdot

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woo, how about them Jazz? 2-0 without Deron Williams. I can't wait for the Jazz to take the top spot in the West when everybody is saying the Lakers will take it. Jazz are gonna surprise a bunch of peope this year, this like every year.

The Denver Nuggets are expected to trade Allen Iverson to the Detroit Pistons for Chauncey Billups and Antonio McDyess, Pistons team sources told ESPN's Stephen A. Smith.

The deal has not been finalized.

This would be the second time Iverson has been traded in two years. He was dealt by Philadelphia to Denver in December 2006, kicked out of Philly over irreconcilable differences as part of a package that brought Andre Miller to the 76ers.

Stephen A. Smith covers the NBA for ESPN.

I don't really understand why either team would do this, but whatever. Hitting the panic button early much?

It cuts detroit salary by 32 million I think, Iverson has played better then Billups in the last year, Detroit needs a go to scorer, Billups is from Denver. At this point Iverson is a good fit in detroit and denver is expected to buyout Dyce contract. In which case he is a free agent. He said that he would rather retire then not be a piston at this point in his career. Thats why it was done I suppose.

The Pistons don't cut salary now, but they do at year's end, when Iverson's contract expires. And honestly, it's a smart move. They thought they had what it took to make one last title run last year, and that was proven false. So now, they get a little star power in AI to keep putting asses in the seats and probably still get them into the middle of the playoff pack while they begin the process of freshening up the team. They'll get to rely a lot more on guys like Maxiell, Stuckey, Prince, and Rip.

As for Denver, they need a more passing-oriented PG to get the ball to Melo, not take all his shots away. If McDyess does decide to play for them, he's much more of a credible threat on both ends of the floor than K-Mart. The problem is that they've now wrecked their cap for several years to come, and for what? A 7 or 8 seed? Bleh.

If I were Detroit, I'd have demanded a 1st rounder, too. Denver's been hot to get rid of AI for a while now, so they most likely would have paid it.

As a Warriors fan, I gotta say, Don Nelson is really pissing me off. Why let Brandon Wright, Ronny Turiaf and Andris Biedrins get 3-4 fouls during the first half of the game and not bench them and rotate Anthony Randolph and Richard Hendrix in. This whole 'not letting rookies play' crap is pissing me off.

• 2 months later...
Just saw this article posted on another basketball board about Eddy Curry and I can only hope it not true but I dont know why the guy that filed the suit is just nuts, Eddy Curry Atleast no matter how the knicks are doing you know they will be entertaining.

Ugh. Sometimes I hate being a Knicks fan.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Soooo, looks like the Raptors and the Heat have made a deal...Marion and Banks for O'Neal and Moon.... http://www.tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=266977&amp...os=topStory_nba

We'll see how this pans out

Also Matt Bonner is applying for Canadian Citizenship! Welcome to Canada Matt, come join our basketball team, our country needs you!

http://www.tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=266700&amp...s=headlines_nba

I like that trade. Heat doesn't need capspace until 2010, by which time O'Neal's contract will have expired. Also, it's a big body. Preferable to the other trade that had been discussed of Marion & Beasley for Amare Stoudemire & someone else. You could still end up with Stoudemire in 2010 without giving up Beasley.

Okay, we've got a potentially SWEET Hall of Fame class coming this year. The Admiral, John Stockton, Jerry Sloan, Don Nelson, two legends of the women's game in C. Vivian Stringer and Cynthia Cooper, a couple of borderline-type guys in Dennis Johnson, Bernard King, and Chris Mullin, a famed player-turned-announcer in Johnny "Red" Kerr...and some dude named Jordan. (H)

Me personally, I dunno about Mullin all that much, although he did kick mass amounts of ass, but the rest of those definitely need to be in the Hall.

I like that trade. Heat doesn't need capspace until 2010, by which time O'Neal's contract will have expired. Also, it's a big body. Preferable to the other trade that had been discussed of Marion & Beasley for Amare Stoudemire & someone else. You could still end up with Stoudemire in 2010 without giving up Beasley.

I think the hidden key in all of this is that Miami gets Jamario Moon, who could be a very solid 6th man off the bench behind Beasley.