Memento

thatblindgeye

Anyone else seen this film? Has Guy Pearce in it along with a couple people from The Matrix (Joe... P. I think and the woman that played Trinity).

Have to say this film is very, very good, both in plot and the way it is shown. Without spoiling the plot, the way the film works is there are two storylines going on, one in black/white and another in color. The movie starts with the final scene, and works its way backwards in color. The black/white scenes are the beginning of the movie. So you see a color scene at first, which chronologically is the final event of the movie, followed by a black and white scene, which is the first event of the movie. After the first black and white scene you see the next color scene, which is what happens before the previous color screen (so you see Scene Z in color, then Scene Y is the next color scene), and it goes on like that in maybe around 5-10 intervals.

Really a great movie, you just have to pay attention.

I've got this on dvd, but have only watched it once i think. And i have to agree, it is one of the most confusing films ever. You really have to pay attention to each scene to work out where it fits into the whole plot. I think it took me about 3 times to watch it all the way through cos i get confused fairly easily with films, and kept on giving up on it. But if you can follow it, its an awesome film.

Theres an extra on the DVD that lets you watch it in chronological order, but bearing in mind I'd only rented it and had just watched it anyway, I didn't bother. Good film though, and its Joe Pantoliano, off of the Goonies.

I've got this on dvd, but have only watched it once i think. And i have to agree, it is one of the most confusing films ever. You really have to pay attention to each scene to work out where it fits into the whole plot. I think it took me about 3 times to watch it all the way through cos i get confused fairly easily with films, and kept on giving up on it. But if you can follow it, its an awesome film.

I really liked it. It was a unique way to tell a story that made the movie great.

I watched it once, and decided the film was decent with an amazing last ten minutes. I don't think the first hour or so is particularly great, and the gimmick wears off, but it's well worth seeing at least once, the performances are very good, and like I said, the end is well worth it.

Great concept, but to me, it just was a bore. Not my type of movie at all, and it seemed to really drag, except for the last ten minutes. I won't deny the clever concept behind the movie, but to me it's just that. A clever concept that gets muddled in execution.

Watched it the year it came out and have watched it periodically since after getting the DVD pretty much as soon as possible.

It's always hovering around my top 20 movies and goes to show what some thinking outside the box when movie making can come up with.

Fresh, insightful, utterly compelling and at times funny.

I quite like..

When the scene where the woman comes in all bloody faced crying. The scene after that made me seriously let out a huge "What the fuck you fucking cunt?!" Her calling his dead wife a whore and shit until he hit her, then waiting in the car just staring at him was really fucked up.

Watched it the year it came out and have watched it periodically since after getting the DVD pretty much as soon as possible.

It's always hovering around my top 20 movies and goes to show what some thinking outside the box when movie making can come up with.

Fresh, insightful, utterly compelling and at times funny.

I remember when it first came out I heard so much praise for it, that when it was finally released on DVD I was skeptical of the movie. But I went ahead and rented it and loved it. I bought it a few days later, and promptly watched it again. It was so all the things that Hammy said above, and more. I was sure it was going to turn Guy Pearce into a major star (didn't) and propel Nolan into the elite of directors (did).

I read a cover story with him the other day (Australian GQ). He admitted to making a couple of movies he hated basically for money. Then said he'd never do it again. Did the whole 'I do it for the art' spiel. He seemed fairly genuine in that he only wants to make movies he likes because he has enough cash to support his lifestyle (boho cafe set, hanging out about three suburbs over from where I live so hardly hookers and coke). Beyond that it seems as if he can't handle the whole fame thing as he's quiet and private and quite normal in an anxiety ridden pothead way.

I quite like..

When the scene where the woman comes in all bloody faced crying. The scene after that made me seriously let out a huge "What the fuck you fucking cunt?!" Her calling his dead wife a whore and shit until he hit her, then waiting in the car just staring at him was really fucked up.

That's the moment I realised that I loved this film. I really do.

I actually can't find the DVD extra that shows the film in the chronological order of scenes ; and it's annoying me because it's supposed to be in the three disc collection I have....

On the subject of Guy Pearce being a star, he'll likely have his rebirth into the mainstream with The Road coming out this year. With No Country for Old Men doing so well last year, I fully expect the hype for The Road to be pretty big.

I really liked it. It was a unique way to tell a story that made the movie great.

I have only watched it once all the way through, the first 2-3 times i tried to watch it i gave up cos i couldn't follow it.