Madden '09

Cactus Drags

I'd also like a bit of time to get back into playing an NFL game for a bit. Also, the last one utterly failed. But if we can get enough people in, who are deifnitely going to play, I'm game. Are we going to run it off the board or through the online league feature?

I wouldn't mind doing the online feature....I've never actually done that.

Doesn't surprise me, this is the first time they've done one. Apparently, it's really bare bones, no stats tracking other than team win/loss.

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got it for the PS2 today. I guess I would say that it feels like another roster update. I haven't played an actual game yet, but the drills did seem more fluid than previous versions. There are some new features as well that I haven't went into yet (like that Fantasy thing). I'm just messing around with Franchise right now.

But I love my Madden. I wish I could Favre on the Jets right now, I guess I'll have to wait for that roster update Sony releases.

He's on the legends team, just go put him in.

And how'd you get it so early?

My buddy has it as well, I might pick up a copy as well today. If anybody lives in the Tri State or Philadelphia specifically and really wants it they can hit up Power Gamer on 60th and Woodland Avenue.

The ghetto game store without a sign around 44th and Lancaster, in West Philly, as well. (Y)

My buddy has it as well, I might pick up a copy as well today. If anybody lives in the Tri State or Philadelphia specifically and really wants it they can hit up Power Gamer on 60th and Woodland Avenue.

The ghetto game store without a sign around 44th and Lancaster, in West Philly, as well. (Y)

That actually might be even closer. That should be a couple blocks away from Durham Park and that Cemetery right?

That actually might be even closer. That should be a couple blocks away from Durham Park and that Cemetery right?

Eh, I don't know the landmarks. All I know is if you're heading up Lancaster, it's on the left, and it's past 42nd street. I believe its around 44-46th street. I walked there from a buddy's (40th and Spring Garden, he goes to Penn). Be warned though, it's not that great of a neighborhood over there. I think I got called "whitey" four times in the matter of the five minutes I was there. :blush:

Eh, I don't know the landmarks. All I know is if you're heading up Lancaster, it's on the left, and it's past 42nd street. I believe its around 44-46th street. I walked there from a buddy's (40th and Spring Garden, he goes to Penn). Be warned though, it's not that great of a neighborhood over there. I think I got called "whitey" four times in the matter of the five minutes I was there. :blush:

Heh I'll be fine, lived here all my life. But ya with that description it sounds like it's right around Durham Park and The Zoo and such. I'll probably stop in there later and pick it up, shouldn't be too hard to find. Thanks for the help.

Sure. Well from what I've seen so far it's a big improvement. The AI gets smarter instead of growing a new set of eyes and it's a nice change. I mean there's still some of that and they'll still make some odd plays but it's not half as bad as it was last year. We played some games against each other and it just seemed way better polished which I'm happy about. The graphics are obviously a ton better, it also runs extremely smooth.

We simmed a couple years in franchise as well and it seems like they fixed the progression issues. Rookies and young players gain stat points pretty fast and it doesn't take a silly amount of time like last year. In my limited experience I'm really happy about this game so far in my limited experience.

Can we stick to talking about the game, and not your ghetto asses getting the game early? >_>

Didn't you read? I have a "whitey" ass. :P Weren't you suppose to get the game early, too?

I will be, it's not out till Friday over here. I expect to be getting it Wednesday.

Sure. Well from what I've seen so far it's a big improvement. The AI gets smarter instead of growing a new set of eyes and it's a nice change. I mean there's still some of that and they'll still make some odd plays but it's not half as bad as it was last year. We played some games against each other and it just seemed way better polished which I'm happy about. The graphics are obviously a ton better, it also runs extremely smooth.

We simmed a couple years in franchise as well and it seems like they fixed the progression issues. Rookies and young players gain stat points pretty fast and it doesn't take a silly amount of time like last year. In my limited experience I'm really happy about this game so far in my limited experience.

But do already good players keep getting better? In '08, I struggled to field a team with a single player less than like 85.

I got it for the PS2 today. I guess I would say that it feels like another roster update. I haven't played an actual game yet, but the drills did seem more fluid than previous versions. There are some new features as well that I haven't went into yet (like that Fantasy thing). I'm just messing around with Franchise right now.

But I love my Madden. I wish I could Favre on the Jets right now, I guess I'll have to wait for that roster update Sony releases.

He's on the legends team, just go put him in.

And how'd you get it so early?

Second hand stores (like, stores with titles such as "CASH FOR GAMES" and not Gamestop) seem to sell games to be released a couple of days early, but they usually ask to be quiet about it (like last year where I was telling my friend on the phone that it was out).

From the PS2 front, there is obviously nothing gamebreaking and basically a roster update again.

The Fantasy Game looks like a buy-sell game, where you can protect a few players and then have some sort of Salary Cap game. It looks interesting. I haven't really looked too much into yet.

And I don't see a Legends team. Favre isn't on All Packers or Packers 98. There is a Packers 2007 Team he is on, but I can't seem to edit that team at all.

Doesn't surprise me, this is the first time they've done one. Apparently, it's really bare bones, no stats tracking other than team win/loss.

I meant in any sport.

I heard Favre is also supposed to be in the FA pool. There will be a roster patch available on release day that puts him on the Jets anyways.

I meant in any sport.

I heard Favre is also supposed to be in the FA pool. There will be a roster patch available on release day that puts him on the Jets anyways.

He's not. Daunte Culpepper is the best QB in the FA pool.

Anyone who has the game already, do you know if the IR glitch in Franchise mode has been fixed? For I don't know how many years in Madden games the Injured Reserve feature hasn't allowed you to replace that person with somebody else on your roster. I'm not even sure that it freed up cap space either.

IGN Reader Review

Ok...I told myself I will steer clear of EA products ever since the tragedy of exclusive licenses killed my love of video football gaming.

Well I had a chance to get Madden 09 (360) a few days early, and I thought to myself..."maybe this will be different", "maybe EA has finally stepped up to the level of it's former competitor", "I will have an open mind". Well the answer is NOPE - Same Song like Tupac and Shock G.

I'll say this: Madden IQ is probably the best feature in this game. The TRON like graph in which EA tests you is lame though.

This version of Madden, looks like a PS2 version, maybe a large scale PSP version. No lie. I was very disappointed in it's appearance, presentation and gameplay. It is playable, but there is no "wow" factor.

Honestly NFL 2K5 looks better in 480p than Madden 09 looks in 720p, 1080i, 1080p. Sad, sad, sad.

The sound is lame. Chris Collinsworth and Tom Hammond are a step up from the radio broadcaster of the past few years, but there is no energy here. These guys sound like they never ever called a football game before. They don't do anything for, you, the player. There's no sense of urgency or thrill. And they tend to call WR's by the wrong position. Apparently Larry Fitzgerald is a Tight-End and is an amazing one at that. Thanks Chris for giving me two minutes of incorrect dialogue about this athlete who apparently looks like all the others to you (racist!). Good job to the code monkeys over at EA.

The crowd is inaudible most of times. However, they have car batteries affix to their cameras because the flash bulbls do not stop. Thats the only sign of life from the stands. Complete overkill.

Minor issues such as the ref sounding like he was just told he has erectile dysfunction and the lack of a presence by the chain gang is inexcusable. No Gang Tackling. 2 on 1 is not a gang.

Opening game presentation??? Nice try EA. I can create better pyrotechnics using brillo, toothpaste and a match.

Rewind mode...a waste of good code. When was the last time any of us replayed anything in our lives and had a better outcome??? It just doesn't happen. The guy who brought this up in game develop meeting should be executed immediately, then rewind it, and execute him again. Same results.

Online has improved, but it only took 4 years to finally get across the 50 yard line with this feature. You're still 4th and a very long distance away, so now you must punt.

I'm deeply saddened that there will be more of this as the years wisk away.

Rent it!

Well shit, I guess I'm not getting it.

Edited by Maxx

IGN Reader Review

Ok...I told myself I will steer clear of EA products ever since the tragedy of exclusive licenses killed my love of video football gaming.

Well I had a chance to get Madden 09 (360) a few days early, and I thought to myself..."maybe this will be different", "maybe EA has finally stepped up to the level of it's former competitor", "I will have an open mind". Well the answer is NOPE - Same Song like Tupac and Shock G.

I'll say this: Madden IQ is probably the best feature in this game. The TRON like graph in which EA tests you is lame though.

This version of Madden, looks like a PS2 version, maybe a large scale PSP version. No lie. I was very disappointed in it's appearance, presentation and gameplay. It is playable, but there is no "wow" factor.

Honestly NFL 2K5 looks better in 480p than Madden 09 looks in 720p, 1080i, 1080p. Sad, sad, sad.

The sound is lame. Chris Collinsworth and Tom Hammond are a step up from the radio broadcaster of the past few years, but there is no energy here. These guys sound like they never ever called a football game before. They don't do anything for, you, the player. There's no sense of urgency or thrill. And they tend to call WR's by the wrong position. Apparently Larry Fitzgerald is a Tight-End and is an amazing one at that. Thanks Chris for giving me two minutes of incorrect dialogue about this athlete who apparently looks like all the others to you (racist!). Good job to the code monkeys over at EA.

The crowd is inaudible most of times. However, they have car batteries affix to their cameras because the flash bulbls do not stop. Thats the only sign of life from the stands. Complete overkill.

Minor issues such as the ref sounding like he was just told he has erectile dysfunction and the lack of a presence by the chain gang is inexcusable. No Gang Tackling. 2 on 1 is not a gang.

Opening game presentation??? Nice try EA. I can create better pyrotechnics using brillo, toothpaste and a match.

Rewind mode...a waste of good code. When was the last time any of us replayed anything in our lives and had a better outcome??? It just doesn't happen. The guy who brought this up in game develop meeting should be executed immediately, then rewind it, and execute him again. Same results.

Online has improved, but it only took 4 years to finally get across the 50 yard line with this feature. You're still 4th and a very long distance away, so now you must punt.

I'm deeply saddened that there will be more of this as the years wisk away.

Rent it!

Well shit, I guess I'm not getting it.

I'd wait to see an impartial review before I make a decision. Anyone who talks about ESPN 2k5 like it was the best football game ever made loses a lot of credibility in my book. The presentation was pretty cool in 2k5, but other than that, it was nothing special.

No doubt Madden 09 will have issues, but presentation isn't the number one thing I look for in a football game. It IS part of the package, but gameplay is more important to me.

EDIT: Or yeah..maybe sarcasm :P I don't do sarcasm though.

Edited by jase12881