Official Premiership 2008/09 thread

Lineker

I'm in two minds.

1. I think he's a shit manager and to see him doing poorly is quite funny

2. It would be funny to see him sacked so soon

I've got nothing against Blackburn, I just really don't like Paul Ince.

Blackburn should hire Joe Kinnear and give him more respect than the Newcastle fans have.

EDIT: So anyway while I was watching the game earlier the camera cut to the Spurs bench and Harry was off it shouting at our players telling them to calm down and toughen up at the back and then Joe Jordan strode into view and screamed some angry rhetoric at one of our players and I had to pinch myself to make sure that I wasn't dreaming. Beautiful to see that fine man in a nice warm, padded Spurs coat.

Edited by ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

Ince was a bad appointment IMO. He needed to pay his dues in the Championship or at the very least League One. But hey, if they don't sack him there's every chance he can do that next year.

It'll be hard to sack him because of all the shit they made about him being the only black Premier League manager and that there needs to be more of them.

Paul Ince is comical, but it got rid of the Roy Keane bashing from my friend I suppose <_<

How James Collins survived the match tonight is beyond me. Apart from his last man foul on Cisse and his snapmere on Kenwyne Jones minutes earlier I feel he was very much a great player.

Had to sit and watch us squander chance after chance while West Ham score a deflected goal and can't actually score from 5 yards out in a pretty much empty net. ...I hate football some days.

Played all Sky 4 teams this season.. and only lost one of 'em, nice. Playing Arsenal and United one after the one could have been horrible, but it was superb.

Indeed. In fact Villa seem to be up for the big games.

Spurs have played Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool and have a win at home and two draws away which is nice.

This season seems to be a lot tighter throughout the whole league which is a nice change and the top four don't seem quite so frightening.

Like Hammy I'm loving how close everything is this season. I can see West Brom fading away slightly but I want them to win a couple of games randomly to leave everybody well and truly stumped :shifty:

Wigan, Portsmouth and Sunderland coming up. All winable for them.

As expected, Fabregas is the new Arsenal captain, which I'm kind of undecided on, although there aren't a lot of real leaders in the Arsenal team in my eyes.

Just to throw something else on the Paul Ince getting sacked discussion, does anyone else think that we might see a huge number of managerial changes during, or at the end of the season? You've got:

- Tony Mowbrary. Admirable playing style but if they keep losing the fans may turn on him.

- Paul Ince. Already covered.

- Steve Bruce. More likely to leave for a bigger team if the opportunity arises, possibly Newcastle. Moreso if Heskey leaves.

- Kinnear. If a takeover ever gets completed, he's unlikely to stay there, despite a good run.

- Roy Keane. Not likely but has he really got a good return on all the money spent?

- Tony Pulis. I don't think he'll leave, but there's always a chance with teams when they're relegated.

- Mark Hughes. They say he's got the backing from the board, but you can never tell what's going to happen.

- Tony Adams. I'm not convinced about his Premiership credentials although I like him. Will have a tough time if his stars leave in January.

Then on top of those I wouldn't be surprised to see Moyes, Zola or Megson not be with their clubs by the start of the 09/10 season for different reasons. Then there's those Real and Benitez rumours that continue to do the rounds and you get the feeling that Arsenal might change things up. Absolutely not suggesting Arsene will be sacked, but I get the inkling somethings not right there. That makes it 13 out of 20 clubs that it wouldn't be a massive surprise to me if they had a different boss in a years time. I know it's early doors to talk about this, but do people see that as just a sign of the times that bosses are coming and going?

As expected, Fabregas is the new Arsenal captain, which I'm kind of undecided on, although there aren't a lot of real leaders in the Arsenal team in my eyes.

Just to throw something else on the Paul Ince getting sacked discussion, does anyone else think that we might see a huge number of managerial changes during, or at the end of the season? You've got:

- Tony Mowbrary. Admirable playing style but if they keep losing the fans may turn on him.

- Paul Ince. Already covered.

- Steve Bruce. More likely to leave for a bigger team if the opportunity arises, possibly Newcastle. Moreso if Heskey leaves.

- Kinnear. If a takeover ever gets completed, he's unlikely to stay there, despite a good run.

- Roy Keane. Not likely but has he really got a good return on all the money spent?

- Tony Pulis. I don't think he'll leave, but there's always a chance with teams when they're relegated.

- Mark Hughes. They say he's got the backing from the board, but you can never tell what's going to happen.

- Tony Adams. I'm not convinced about his Premiership credentials although I like him. Will have a tough time if his stars leave in January.

Then on top of those I wouldn't be surprised to see Moyes, Zola or Megson not be with their clubs by the start of the 09/10 season for different reasons. Then there's those Real and Benitez rumours that continue to do the rounds and you get the feeling that Arsenal might change things up. Absolutely not suggesting Arsene will be sacked, but I get the inkling somethings not right there. That makes it 13 out of 20 clubs that it wouldn't be a massive surprise to me if they had a different boss in a years time. I know it's early doors to talk about this, but do people see that as just a sign of the times that bosses are coming and going?

Moyes will stay. How long's Fergie's contract got left to run? Wouldn't be surprised to see him step down if Scum win nothing this year, after all he's got his much sought after 2nd European cup - all he's got left to do is overtake Liverpool. Could see Phil Brown taking a different/bigger job if he keeps Hull's start up.

Lots of changes are possible by this time next year, IMO.

So opinions on what might happen with Podolski ?

I know that Cologne has first shot at him, but I just don't think that'll happen. I feel he'll come to the Premiership. I know that Spurs and Man City where seriously interested before but what about now ?

A front line of Robinho/Podolski ? Holy crap.

Personally I'd love to see Arsenal make the move for him and fuck Bendtner right off. Van Persie/Podolski with Cesc in the midfield would be nice.

but yeah, any thoughts on who has a logical/realistic need/want for him ?