Official Premiership 2008/09 thread

Lineker

No, there's a full football league fixture list today (certainly no more than a couple of teams not playing), teams that played Friday and Saturday. At Easter all divisions should play Friday/Saturday and then Monday.

Yes!

Big win that, even though it sounded like we didn't play very well. We just need to win our game in hand against Pompey on the 22nd to give ourselves a four-point lead. Nothing is set in stone yet though as far as the PL goes. I'll be a lot happier once we (hopefully) dispose of Pompey.

Your game in hand isn't Portsmouth, it's Wigan away. The Pompey game is being played the same day as Liverpool-Arsenal and Everton-Chelsea, as they're postponed from next weekend. Wigan-Man U is too, but that game is being played in May.

he pulled off a nice turn and skinned a Villa defender and put in a good cross.

So? I've seen Martin Woods do exactly the same thing this season, it doesn't mean he's going to be a 'star' one day either.

I still think Man Utd will win the title, it's just gonna be too much of an ask, and I can't see them slipping up twice more, which is what Liverpool need them to do.

Just thinking it isn't really a good thing that Manchester United have had to be saved by a 17 year old twice in a row. Considering they're supposed to be the best team in the world. That is also a lot of pressure for a 17 year old, who is really getting his breaks because he's brought on at the right times at the right end of the season. I don't think we'll see him start a game, but if the trend continues and Macheda can't come to the rescue a third time, I have to wonder what effect that would have on the kid to go from talk of the town to nothing so quickly at age 17.

Yeah we can all agree with that. N'Gog becoming world class, that is.

As for Macheda, he's a cunt. He looks about 40, only wants to celebrate with Ronaldo when he scores and just seems like a complete wanker. If he comes good he'll probably fuck off for Milan or Madrid so his WAG girlfriend can go shopping.

Doesn't WAG stand for 'Wives and Girlfriends'? >_>

Yeah but any girlfriend of a footballer is called a WAG by the tabloids/gossip magazines. It's basically taken on another meaning independent of the acronym.

No, Carroll has another season of being godlike until he turns to shit, much like anyone else Newcastle produce.

I've often wondered why this is. This, and why Newcastle can buy a good player, only for them to almost automatically forget how to play football.

I'm sure it's mostly down to preferring local legends as staff members than anyone with any actual talent. They've proved time and again that an old Geordie who did some magic with a football 15 years ago CANNOT coach a football team, nor be used as a medic... then again, saying that their medical wing probably looks like an 18th Century mausoleum <_<

Apparantly when Shearer leaves at the end of the season, Faustino Asprilla is being lined up to manage Newcastle in the Championship. Mike Ashley watched him score those goals in Europe and immediately believed that he was the man to return and take Newcastle to another level.

Apparantly when Shearer leaves at the end of the season, Faustino Asprilla is being lined up to manage Newcastle in the Championship. Mike Ashley watched him score those goals in Europe and immediately believed that he was the man to return and take Newcastle to another level.

Temuri Ketsbaia has recently resigned from Anorthosis Famagusta, so he'll be waiting in the wings ready for when Tino gets sacked after three months.

Edited by Ben E.

It was voted for in February so the players just pick whoever is doing good at the time which explains VDS (was during his run of not conceding) and Giggs (came after good performances such as against Chelsea). I don't understand why they can't just vote at the end of the season and have the actual best player win rather than the player the media loves at the time.

I know that the POTY awards only have six nominations each, but Marouane Fellaini and Tim Cahill from Everton have both been different class this season and in my opinion shouldbe in instead of a few of the United players (VDS and Giggs).