Official Premiership 2008/09 thread

Lineker

EDIT: Slightly lower down in the article

Defeat at Villa Park would confirm Newcastle's relegation to the second tier after 16 seasons in the Premier League.

It's 2005!!! :w00t::shifty:

The Premier League started in the 1992/93 season. It's been 16 years.

facepalm.jpg

Edited by TheArsenal

I think Newcastle will at least draw today. Everyone thinks Villa are going to walk it because of their league position. I think they've only one one game since start of March (Hull at home) and there home form is what's held them back whereas their away form has been brilliant. Then again I think given Newcastle need to attack I think that could play into Villa's hands a bit, with the pace of Young and Agbonlahor on the counter.

I think Boro will also sneak a win today. West Ham have been inconsistent lately and I think they may play a few youngsters for first team experience.

If Newcastle and Boro go, I think the relegation battle next year will be interesting. Wolves, Birmingham and playoff winners will struggle. Hull will obviously be down their and Stoke won't be able to rely on home form two years running. Then you'll have an ageing Portsmouth, a young (and skint) West Ham, an inconsistent Bolton and possibly Wigan if they have to sell.

Honestly I think Boro and Hull are going, but I hope it's Hull and Newcastle. I think Steve Gibson runs Boro really well, especially in todays footballing climate, and deserves to keep Boro up in the Premier League. If they do, it'll be interesting to see if they keep Southgate. If they go down, I think they've got enough good young players who will stay and get Newcastle to bounce back up

And whilst we're on about bets, I've got Arsenal, Chelsea, Man United and Liverpool to all win, fiver on so works out about 44 quid back if it comes in. Man United are the only ones who may let me down

Why should they? He'll come on and get his round of applause but there's no benefit to starting someone who's not going to be there.

Also lol, newcastle. Duff at left back with Habib Beye injured and obviously no Bassong, Barton. I still think they'll scrape a draw/win and stay up on goal difference.

Just over half an hour to go. As a North-East based neutral. I'm excited. :) Just wondering which will be the miserable faces at work on Tuesday (aside from the boro fans, of course. :shifty:)

With my earlier bet and Fantasy Football league combined, I could come out of this afternoon with one of the following six outcomes:

£0

£40

£50

£200

£240

£250

*fingers crossed* >_<

Edited by stokeriño

Wes Brown? Fucking hell, almost forgot all about the guy. Still no Hargreaves though? I don't even remember him getting injured, that's how long he's been out, just sheer madness. Haven't seen the teams yet, is Tosic in there?

Hoping for Newcastle to win today and I think they've got one of the better matches than they could hope for. Villa are on a horrendous run compared to the first half of the season and while we know they've got a quality team and can play some amazing football, they look like they just want to get the season over with right now, so I feel Newcastle could snatch it if they actually start giving a shit and attacking. I honestly cant see Hull getting anything from us, so I feel it's all on Newcastle really.

Yeah, the Man Utd side is weaker than I expected.

Kuszack, De Laet (sp?), Rafael, Brown, Neville, Wellbeck, Nani, Fleteher, Gibson, Martin, Macheda.

I thought Ferdinand and Fabio might play, I'dve also thought a more eatablished striker than Martin might play. Oh well, not complaining cos I want Hullt o win.

Martin should be playing on the left wing and Welbeck up front. Disappointed Fabio and Tosic aren't playing. I've heard great things about Tosic in the reserves so this would be a good occasion for him. Nice to see Brown back as well. I still think Ferdinand will play in the final.

Martin will play as a roaming second striker like Giggs and Ronaldo often do. Wellbeck probably on the right with Nani on the left.

Gibson is the one to watch though, at least from that lot anyways.

I agree from what I've heard and seen of Gibson he looks a real prospect. I'm pretty sure Martin and Wellbeck will be moving around in typical United fashion, but reportedly Martin will be starting in a Robbie Keane type role behind Macheda.

I can't watch Sunderland/Chelsea (since it's on Sky Interactive), so it's Villa/Newcastle for me.

And if Liverpool/Spurs could finish 0-0 that would be wonderous...but I know it won't happen.

Edited by stokeriño

Fuck, van Persie scored.

Gap between me and the guy beneath me reduced from 6pts to 3pts...

Edit: And now an assist on Diaby's goal. Down to 1pt...

Edited by stokeriño

Today all the electricity in our kitchen went and my flatmate's key snapped in the door. Early indication shows this will be the worst day of my life.