NCAA Footbal 09 Season Thread

HailtotheYo

I remember seeing the 16 team playoff proposal from Yahoo last year. Same guy keeps pushing for it, and it's a great idea. How many more years officially are we stuck with the BCS though?

The Vice President of Media Relations for the Big East came to visit my sports writing class earlier this semester and he mentioned that it needs to be agreed upon by all the conferences involved and that their contract runs out in 2 years IIRC. Apparently Pac-10 and Big 12(?) officials aren't big fans of the system.

I can't remember the exact details, it was the beginning of the semester.

I'd rather be OPY than 1st team all conference <_<

I just don't get the point of naming him to 2nd team AC ... THAT doesn't make sense.

My logic behind that way of thinking is this... Bradford was a better quarterback between him and Colt McCoy (at least number wise). Both had similiar pass attempts, yet Bradford threw for nearly 600 yards more, and 14 more touchdowns. So if you had to choose who was a better quarterback, the numbers say that Bradford wins that arguement.

And IMO Harrell shouldn't even factor into the equation. He threw the ball more then 150 more times then Bradford, yet only finished with slighly over 500 yards more, and fewer touchdowns. If you GEEK out Harrell's numbers, and give him the same amount of completions as Bradford/McCoy, he has worse numbers then either Bradford, McCoy, or Chase Daniels.

However there is little doubt in my mind that Colt McCoy was the best offensive player in the conference. He was arguably the first or second best quarterback in the conference, and was his team's leading rusher, and unlike the other canidates... he has no supporting cast. He was more valuable to his team then possibly any one person in the country, without qustion in the Big 12 conference.

So with that pathway of thinking, I can understand why the Big 12 named him OPOTY, yet only second team conference. Bradford was probably a better quarter, while McCoy was a better overall player.

I was merely commenting on the fact that they actually elected him second team AC .... He's the OPY ... why is he even on the AC team ? McCoy is OPY, Bradford first team, Harrell second team ..... it's my understanding that OPY trumps AC team placement .... seems unecessary to name him to the AC team

No shit, he's OPY ... he's all conference

I have no problem with them not accepting an "invite" to an "awesome opportunity" that puts them 1,900 miles away and on the home field of the team inviting them. Fuck that, it's crap. If Boise would have offered to move their HOME GAME BOWL to a neutrel site then I'd be ok with it. Come on, that entire invitation was loaded and just stupid to begin with.

Edited by HailtotheKing

You'd think there'd be some rule against a team "hosting" their bowl game anyway. Isn't the whole concept supposed to be two teams on a somewhat neutral site?

Well, except for the Rose Bowl, I suppose, but that game's so far up its own ass, it's pathetic. If I hear "The Granddaddy of 'em All" one more time, I'm going on a...um...swearing spree. Another one. Like I do most every day anyway.

ugh, there's so much shit with the Rose Bowl that I almost hate them more than the BCS. Hell, WAAAAYYY back when this all started with the Bowl Coalition it was the Rose Fucking Bowl that kept itself out and caused problems for the get go. FUCK the Rose Bowl and the shitty fucking Pac10 ....

You'd think there'd be some rule against a team "hosting" their bowl game anyway. Isn't the whole concept supposed to be two teams on a somewhat neutral site?

Well, except for the Rose Bowl, I suppose, but that game's so far up its own ass, it's pathetic. If I hear "The Granddaddy of 'em All" one more time, I'm going on a...um...swearing spree. Another one. Like I do most every day anyway.

I'd like to see two rules added to college football, regarding bowl games:

1. A team can't play a bowl game in their home stadium. (I'd also kind of like a rule that two teams from the same state can't face each other in a non-championship bowl if there's a viable alternative for one of the participants)

2. If a team is invited to a bowl game in their home state over a more deserving team due to fanbase (ie, getting more tickets sold if they invite a home state team) there should be some sort of penalty for the less deserving local team accepting. Lets say the team that deserved to be in the bowl ends up going to a bowl that pays a lot less money; then either the people running the bowl that they should have gone to or the team that didn't deserve to be there but got in due to location should be cutting a check to that other team for the difference AND the local team should be banned from that bowl the next season....even if they do deserve to actually be in it the next season.

And oh, yeah. Screw the Rose Bowl. The Bowl itself *might* be deserving of all the prestige if it wasn't locked in to having Big 10 and Pac-10 teams. I bet no one outside of those two parts of the country even gives a shit about the Rose Bowl - I can't even remember the last time I bothered watching it. It may be the oldest bowl, but big deal. And the stadium itself is a joke. I remember a dig they took at the stadium here in the paper back when the Vols played UCLA: they had a cartoon of the Vols team riding a bus (NOT the team bus) in Pasadena and the driver said "I bet its been a while since you boys have seen a stadium that big", to which one of the players or the mascot replied "Not since high school". (Neyland Stadium can hold over 10,000 more people)

*edit* As a possible alternative to a team not playing a bowl game in their home stadium, no coin toss - the other team automatically gets first choice - might be a viable option.

Edited by GhostMachine

To be fair, there really isn't anything the NCAA can do except make a playof because the bowls are ran by their corporate sponsers so they can invite who they see fit and hold the games where they see fit. So GM, as good of an idea that is, there is nothing the NCAA can do about it.

To be fair, there really isn't anything the NCAA can do except make a playof because the bowls are ran by their corporate sponsers so they can invite who they see fit and hold the games where they see fit. So GM, as good of an idea that is, there is nothing the NCAA can do about it.

They can probably take away BCS status from the bowls if they don't invite teams correctly. I can't remember which bowl it was, but a few years ago there was one Florida bowl game that invited Florida over Tennessee in a year when the Vols had beaten the Gators during the season and were ranked higher, and the Vols ended up going to the Outback Bowl instead. Under the BCS, crap like that should be illegal. (ie, the NCAA should be able to step in and stop the lower ranked team from playing in a BCS bowl game when they don't deserve to be there over another)

Florida's up 11 with under 3 minutes to go, and it looks like they're heading to the National Title.

You gotta love Tebow for the inspirational effect he has on his team, and he has played a damn great game, but my God am I sick of these CBS announcers jerking off to him. Tebow is an excellent quarterback, and the leader of the team, but he has a great cast around him. He's made some excellent throws today (see that last drive on the fade to Murphy), but his guys have played wonderful (see Hernandez's leaping catch on the next play and subsuqeuently holding onto the ball while taking a good hit, and Nelson's catch for the first TD).

They can probably take away BCS status from the bowls if they don't invite teams correctly. I can't remember which bowl it was, but a few years ago there was one Florida bowl game that invited Florida over Tennessee in a year when the Vols had beaten the Gators during the season and were ranked higher, and the Vols ended up going to the Outback Bowl instead. Under the BCS, crap like that should be illegal. (ie, the NCAA should be able to step in and stop the lower ranked team from playing in a BCS bowl game when they don't deserve to be there over another)

You must be talking about the Capital One Bowl, which is a non-BCS game, and still the NCAA can't do anything about stripping the BCS status away as that is a agreement between the conferences and the bowls, which are ran by their own people. Does it sucks, yes, but like I said there is nothing the NCAA can do about it except make a playoff

EDIT: YAS! YAS! YAS! GATOR CHOMP! GATOR CHOMP!!!

Edited by Blazey F Baby