GAME's greatest games of all time

PkmnTrainerJ

So, GAME have done it in the wrong order for a countdown list like this, so I can't be bothered changing it. Agree? Disagree? Discuss.

1 Call of Duty 4 (Multiformat)

2 Zelda Ocarina of Time (N64)

3 Final Fantasy VII (PSone)

4 Grand Theft Auto IV (Multiformat)

5 Super Mario 64 (N64)

6 007 Goldeneye (N64)

7 Halo 3 (Xbox 360)

8 Metal Gear Solid (PSone)

9 Half Life 2 (Multiformat)

10 Gears of War (Multiformat)

11 The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (Multiformat)

12 World of Warcraft (PC)

13 Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo Wii)

14 Halo: Combat Evolved (Xbox)

15 Tomb Raider (PSone)

16 Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)

17 Tetris (GameBoy)

18 Half Life (PC)

19 Sonic the Hedgehog (SEGA Mega Drive)

20 Super Mario World (SNES)

21 Super Mario Galaxy (Nintendo Wii)

22 Elite (BBC Micro)

23 Resident Evil 4 (Multiformat)

24 The Sims 2 (PC)

25 Shenmue (SEGA Dreamcast)

26 Crash Bandicoot (PSone)

27 Sensible Soccer (Multiformat)

28 Zelda Twilight Princess (Nintendo Wii)

29 Wii Fit (Nintendo Wii)

30 Doom (PC)

31 Command and Conquer: Red Alert 2 (PC)

32 Mario Kart 64 (N64)

33 Final Fantasy X (PS2)

34 Pacman (Arcade)

35 Super Smash Bros Melee (Gamecube)

36 Assassin's Creed (Multiformat)

37 FIFA 08 (Multiformat)

38 Pokemon Red & Blue (GameBoy)

39 Guitar Hero III (Multiformat)

40 Mario Kart SNES (Nintendo SNES)

41 Final Fantasy VIII (PSone)

42 Resident Evil 1 (PSone)

43 The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)

44 Pro Evo Soccer 6 (Multiformat)

45 Monkey Island 2 (Multiformat)

46 Space Invaders (Arcade)

47 Deus Ex (Multiformat)

48 Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Nintendo Wii)

49 Bioshock (Xbox 360)

50 Gran Turismo 4 (PS2)

51 Wii Sports (Nintendo Wii)

52 The Sims (PC)

53 Counter Strike: Source (PC)

54 Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PS2)

55 Street Fighter 2 (Multiformat)

56 Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (SEGA Mega Drive)

57 Halo 2 (Multiformat)

58 Lego Star Wars: The Original Saga (Multiformat)

59 New Super Mario Bros (Nintendo DS)

60 Metal Gear Solid 2 (PS2)

61 Mario Kart DS (Nintendo DS)

62 Fable (Xbox)

63 Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction (PS3)

64 Gran Turismo 1 (PSone)

65 Civilization (PC)

66 Final Fantasy IX (PSone)

67 Battlefield 2 (PC)

68 Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (Multiformat)

69 Super Mario Land (GameBoy)

70 Timesplitters 2 (Multiformat)

71 Football Manager 2008 (Multiformat)

72 Mass Effect (Xbox 360)

73 Resident Evil 2 (PSone)

74 Championship Manager 01/02 (PC)

75 Age of Empires II (PC)

76 Rome: Total War (PC)

77 Guitar Hero II (Multiformat)

78 God of War (PS2)

79 Kingdom Hearts (PS2)

80 Perfect Dark (N64)

81 Super Smash Bros Brawl (Nintendo Wii)

82 Gran Turismo 5 Prologue (PS3)

83 Animal Crossing (Nintendo DS)

84 Starcraft (PC)

85 Unreal Tournament (PC)

86 The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (Multiformat)

87 Super Metroid Nintendo (SNES)

88 Command and Conquer: Red Alert (PC)

89 Diablo 2 (PC)

90 Kingdom Hearts 2 (PS2)

91 Final Fantasy XII (PS2)

92 Shadow of the Colossus (PS2)

93 Guild Wars (PC)

94 Gran Turismo 3 (PS2)

95 God of War 2 (PS2)

96 Street Fighter (Multiformat)

97 Civilisation 4 (PC)

98 Pokemon Diamond/Pearl (Nintendo DS)

99 Grim Fandango (PC)

100 ICO (PS2)

Linkage

Really? Fucking Call Of Duty? I've played that and it's nothing too impressive. Rainbow Six Vegas is the better FPS of the two I have, but I wouldn't even consider putting it on this list.

Edited by PkmnTrainerJ

Regardless of COD's quality, why is it whenever someone makes a shitty video game list, something that's not even a year old is almost always right at number one? And Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games over Bioshock? :lmao:

Edited by Zero

Eh, I can never take these lists seriously regardless of ordering, because to me, games like Pacman or Tetris shouldn't be anywhere near a list of 'greatest games ever'. Influential, massively popular for their time? Sure, but they're little more than relics compared to whats available in todays market, so to me it always seems like one of those "smarkish" things to add them onto your list.

I know there are tons of people who still play them and love them to death, but I just think it's silly saying they can hold their own with the likes ofy our Final Fantasy's and your GTAs :P

With lists like this you'll always get more recent stuff there that won't be there come 10 years down the line (although not normally at number 1) and also there'll be some people voting for the only game they've ever played, such as Wii Fit, Mario & Sonic etc.

IIRC there was a competition with this to win x thousands of reward points, so that'll have encouraged all the housewives to vote for utter tat and kids who've only been gaming for a few years to vote for recent stuff. I voted for Doom if I remember. And it still finished a place behind Wii Fit which is barely a game.

So yeah, a crap list is what you'll get if you encourage all and sundry to vote.

Gran Turismo 5: The Full-Priced Demo is on the list, say no more.

And Guitar Hero 3 above 2, and 1 not on the list? No. Not just in terms of track listings, but 3's notecharts were all over the place and had practically sold it's soul to the devil with all the damn adverts in it. (Lynx/Axe, Zjidan, Pontiac etc.)

And Halo 3, over any, let alone the game that started it, Metal Gear Solid? No. For personal preference, I think MGS2 is better than 3, and I haven't played MGS1 for years to compare, but still, Halo. I'm just one who doesn't see the fascination. I mean it's decent, but to quote Yahtzee of Zero Punctuation "the guns have the look and feel of a Fischer-Price toy".

Edited by TheModernWay

I know there are tons of people who still play them and love them to death, but I just think it's silly saying they can hold their own with the likes ofy our Final Fantasy's and your GTAs :P

Eh, I dunno. I'm not the sort of person who's going to have two hours to burn to spend sitting there watching pretend polygon people with big hair having a conversation about guardian forces, materia, esper crystals, and Mako reactors. On these days I'll take Pac-Man. Simple, elegant, easy to pick up and play for a little while and then put down.

And Mario & Sonic at the Poorly Responsive Olympic Games and the original terrible Street Fighter being on any greatest games of all time list that doesn't include fucking Chrono Trigger is wrong on so many levels that it pretty much disputes any credibility they were shooting for. Really, did anyone who made this list actually play Street Fighter? It was all kinds of awful even back then. There's a reason the conversation about Street Fighter begins at 2.

Eh, I can never take these lists seriously regardless of ordering, because to me, games like Pacman or Tetris shouldn't be anywhere near a list of 'greatest games ever'. Influential, massively popular for their time? Sure, but they're little more than relics compared to whats available in todays market, so to me it always seems like one of those "smarkish" things to add them onto your list.

I whole heartedly disagree, because I truly believe those games can not only hold their own against other such games, but also beat them outright. Yeah, they're outdated, and its possible that compared to today's market they're 'relics', but they can still be so much fun, and surely that's what games are about? Yeah, they don't have the production or the story that more recent games have, but they're still massively addictive, totally replayable and all round fantastic in their own right. I mean, when it comes to crunch time, I'd class Super Mario World II on the gameboy my favourite game of all time ever, purely because I can play, replay and then replay it again all the time, and I've never got bored of it. Sure, it's nothing like today's games as far as budget goes, but it's still the most fun thing game-wise I can think of with an hours window of freetime. I think quite the opposite to your wrestling analogy, and I think it's 'smarkish' to rate newer games over them, because if we're going to go whole-hog with the wrestling based analogy, surely the new games are the indie-darlings who are all sizzle and no steak? Call of Duty is Jay and Mark, Tetris is Jerry and Jack, my friend.

With lists like this you'll always get more recent stuff there that won't be there come 10 years down the line (although not normally at number 1) and also there'll be some people voting for the only game they've ever played, such as Wii Fit, Mario & Sonic etc.

IIRC there was a competition with this to win x thousands of reward points, so that'll have encouraged all the housewives to vote for utter tat and kids who've only been gaming for a few years to vote for recent stuff. I voted for Doom if I remember. And it still finished a place behind Wii Fit which is barely a game.

So yeah, a crap list is what you'll get if you encourage all and sundry to vote.

Wii Fit is barely a game? Bullshit. Wii Fit is what a game should be; fun. When I sit down for a gaming session, I want to chill out, forget about my troubles and have a laugh, I don't want to have to consider every nook and cranny of every room of every building just to find a key which will take me to the next building which has the exact same princible. Yeah, that kind of game has its time and place, but after a few hours of playing, it just gets to be a strain, and that's coming from a massive FF fan. When I sit down and play an FF game, I can only play for 90 minutes max, because afterwards, it begins to bore me. The likes of Wii Sports, Super Smash Bros., Mario Kart and Wii Fit I could happily waste a few days on (and I have done in the past), because they're just so simple and brainless that it's impossible not to enjoy.

Of course I can see why people are into the retro games, but I honestly couldn't sit down with something like Tetris or even Mario nowadays without getting bored within ten minutes which is the strange thing, because to me those games are the ones without substance compared to stuff like Bioshock or MGS4 :P

Obviously it's all down to personal opinion, but I just always think the majority of retro games are put on lists like these purely out of nostalgia than them being some of the 'greatest' games of all time. It's just a label, sure, and it's by GAME so who gives a fuck, but it's interesting to see different perspectives on the matter.

Tetris isn't just influential. It's freakin' god. Its as addictive today as it was back whence. Final Fantasy's appeal to RPG's, Tetris appeals to people who like puzzles. Theyre different types of games but you can't discredit one or the other. Tetris is massive. FF is too, but to a different audience. I only ever liked FF7. Love that game. 'greatest game ever' might also consider accesibility. Children and old folks can't really get into the ultra violent games. Games like Tetris, Pacman etc are universal. That shouldn't make it lose its list cred :)

I have played Tetris more in the last month then I have into Bioshock since I got it awhile back.

CoD 4 should not be #1, but it is one of the best FPS games ever made. The single player has some shocking moments to it (and one great WTF?!), and I think CoD 4 is the best online game out there right now.