NHL 2K9 / NHL 09

Toe

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I got 2K9, its basically's NHL 09's less attractive but more fun cousin. I'm a sucker for historic teams, which it has plenty of and its got a massive amount of jerseys to choose from, including the lovely Gorton's Fisherman Islanders jersey, and the absolute worst jersey of all time, the Gorton Fisherman's Islanders jersey that replaces the Fisherman with the old Islanders logo.

*shudders*

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to make my big trade deadline acquisition about a week or two before the actual deadline picking up Tim Connolly for Alex Steen and a scrub d-man. So my stretch drive roster is:

Kulemin-Grabovski-Gaborik

Tlusty-Stajan-Antropov

Hagman-Connolly-Grabner

Ponikarovsky-Moore-Mayers

Carcillo

Kaberle-Schenn

Colaicovo-Kubina

Finger-Van Ryn

Toskala

Joseph

First game, Connolly nets a hat trick in a 6-3 defeat of Montreal. (H)

Is it just me, or is there an inordinate amount of penalties being called with this new patch?

Not just against the human player either.... I just played a game where there were almost 20 penalties between the two teams. All of them high sticking, hooking, slashing or tripping. No majors, no cross checking or boarding calls.

Seems kind of ridiculous to me.

Is it just me, or is there an inordinate amount of penalties being called with this new patch?

Not just against the human player either.... I just played a game where there were almost 20 penalties between the two teams. All of them high sticking, hooking, slashing or tripping. No majors, no cross checking or boarding calls.

Seems kind of ridiculous to me.

Haven't played much since the patch, but I've heard that two big things the patch added was much stricter interference calls (hit anyone who doesn't have the puck and isn't immediately in front of your goalie and you'll always get a whistle no matter how weak the hit) and high sticking calls for using stick left from behind the puck carrier. Seeing as I loved interfering like crazy against the computer, and pretty much the only time I used the stick lift was when chasing the puck carrier, it's going to take a lot of discipline for me.

I don't mind being short handed, and losing sometimes is fun... but what bothers me is 54 PIM between two teams in a game with five minute periods.

I guess I'll just have to turn down penalties a bit.

They also added Checking From Behind. So, where you used to be able to just drill guys... now you can't.

I don't mind being short handed, and losing sometimes is fun... but what bothers me is 54 PIM between two teams in a game with five minute periods.

I guess I'll just have to turn down penalties a bit.

They also added Checking From Behind. So, where you used to be able to just drill guys... now you can't.

I think I like it actually. I mean I played an exhibition game with Pittsburgh (against randomly selected L.A.) and had a ton of penalties in the first period and half, but only one by the AI. After forcing myself to be more disciplined, I was able to cut that down to one penalty for the rest of the game (an interference call I got because I forgot myself for a moment). I found that hitting was more satisfying when I had to make sure it was a clean hit. At least it was to me. I had quite a few big hits too. It's basically more sim style on the default settings now. The biggest adjustment is when the opponent is about to ice the puck, I cant slam them in the back to stop them from doing it anymore.

much stricter interference calls (hit anyone who doesn't have the puck and isn't immediately in front of your goalie and you'll always get a whistle no matter how weak the hit)

OH A THOUSAND TIMES THIS!

I average six to eight PIMS a game over the last week, most of them interference calls...it's utter crap!

Edited by Plubby