Football Manager 2009

King Ellis

Does anyone know what Arshavins best position is? I usually play him on the left wing of my Man City team where he is usually quite good, but the two games I have tried him up front he has scored. Its coming up to the transfer window and my main 3 strikers (Robinho, Jo, Cardozo) are not in the best of form so thinking of bringing in another striker. Would it be better to give Arshavin a try up front for a few games and stick Petrov on the wing?

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After winning five games in a row my Aston Villa team has risen from 17th to 8th which will be good enough for Europe if I can remain there. Still rubbish though.

As for Arshavin, I'll get back to you on that one as I am getting him for £8 million in the summer!

I sold Carlos Cuellar for £18 million to Atletico Madrid in January which I thought was good business, but my defence has totally gone to shit since then.

Sold Bouma for £2.6m to Ajax.

Bought Pogrebnyak for £7m.

Bought Torrado for £2m

Bought Paulo Da Silva for £3.2m

Bought Fernando Arce for £2.2m

Bought Davide Santon for £2.1m

Bought Helder Postiga for £700k

Bought Radek Sirl for £3m

and bought a load of young shiters for about £300k in total.

My starting line up is:

GK - Brad Friedel

DC - Paulo Da Silva

DC - Curtis Davies

DC - Martin Laursen

MR - Ashley Young

ML - Radek Sirl

MC - Nigel Reo-Coker

MC - Gareth Barry

MC - Gerardo Torrado

SC - Pavel Pogrebnyak

SC - Gabriel Agbonlahor

Edited by metalman

What unexpected transfers have you seen on your games? Adriano (the fat Inter one) is at West Brom, he signed for £1.4m in summer 2009, he's got 22 goals in 70 games. It's weird because his average rating isn't great, but I wouldn't expect him to go to a club battling relegation.

fmtable.jpg

Double post, but this is the table in February 2012. This is the first time one team hasn't run away with the League so it's nice to have a proper title race, although it's a bit too close for me. I've also got AC Milan in the last 16 of the Champions League, and after the second leg of that I've got a run of games that will probably decide the league - Chelsea [H], Everton [A], Arsenal [H], Blackburn [H], Villa [A], Man Utd [A]. I'm out of both domestic cups though, so at least I can concentrate on these two.

Adriano joined Blackburn in my game, I thought it was one of those bazillion regens with the same name, but sure enough it was the one who plays for Inter.

Blackburn always seem to be crazy when it comes to big name players in my games, over several games they've managed to sign Beckham, Van Nistelroj, Sneijer and Raul

They seem to be Real Madrid's unofficial parent team, picking up players as soon as they hit 34 <_<

Now that I'm making a bit of money I suppose I can pick up Football Manager 2009 sometime. Until then though, FM08 will keep me ticking and I have an incline I know what game will be my first on 09, so I'm going to get prepared and return to my old stomping ground from FM05 to Sao Paulo and see what I can muster up.

EDIT: On closer inspection, this team is fucking gash. And I can't find it within myself to go as another Brazilian team.

Edited by IAceI

A dream run with Hollviken finds me into the semi finals of the Swedish Cup!!, two more wins and I get silverware! while still being stuck in the third tier of Swedish football :D

A tasty New Zealand re-gen I signed this season has been excellent, he tires out easily though. Also just bought in two great Lebanese players(A Goalkeeper and a Striker)which should help me try and push for back to back promotions, the team has performed well and are now in 6th place.

OK, I need help. Steam has decided to bugger up on me. I ran a 'CHKDSK' disk check last night cos my MSN Messenger was getting all sorts of error messages and it recommended running one. Now I try to go onto Steam to start up Football Manager but I get a message reading 'C:/Program Files/Steam/steam.exe is not a valid Win32 application'. And when i try and open it from the Start menu the message reads 'This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Set Associations control panel'

Please! Any help! I was doing really well as Man City and don't wanna start over! :(

Bob: Try re-downloading Steam. It sounds as if Windows isn't recognising it as an executable file, which would indicate that it's been corrupted somehow. Although if it's happening to more than one application you might have a virus or malware or something. The actual FM game you're playing should be fine, it's just that FM needs Steam to open and Steam seems to be buggered. So reinstall Steam, and all should be well. :)

It might be worth backing up your Man City save to CD (My Documents\Sports Interactive\FM 2009\games), just in case you need to reformat or something. All the games you bought with Steam will be fine, since they're saved on your account rather than the app itself (you'll need to redownload them - for free - through Steam when you reinstall, but other than that they'll all be there) but the actual data will need to be backed up if you reformat. Not if you're just reinstalling Steam though because they're in a different place.

Damn all of you with your weird leagues. I only have the 09 demo, so if I want to take part in my favourite FM pastime (managing obscure clubs), I have to either play 08 and miss out on all the new stuff, or buy 09. :(

Damn you SI and your damn quickstarts. I'm usually bored of it by Christmas (game time) unless I get a really good game going, so the demo would be fine for most games I play. But noooo. The most obscure I get is Indonesia, where I can't even pronounce the names.

Edited by Farmer Reil

Does anyone else hate the month of August with a passion? I'd be hating July as well if I hadn't given my Assistant Manager control of friendly matches, thus delaying the pain for a month. But it's just frustrating to start a new season 'minutes' after finishing the last - where your team was in such awesome form - and watch them suck as they try to shake off their desires to return to the Jamaican beaches they spent June on.

If I can make it to the end of September, I'm generally fine. But most of my FM games get thrown on the skip in the early stages of the second season simply out of irritation.

Oh, and everybody injuring themselves doesn't help either. <_<

Edited by stokeriño

I hate July/August. I constantly want to start a game where I take Bristol City up into the Premiership, but July/August are so intensely fucking boring and awful that I never manage it. Plus, their total lack of wage budget/the fact that their players are rated way worse than it actually is, of course.

Now that I'm making a bit of money I suppose I can pick up Football Manager 2009 sometime. Until then though, FM08 will keep me ticking and I have an incline I know what game will be my first on 09, so I'm going to get prepared and return to my old stomping ground from FM05 to Sao Paulo and see what I can muster up.

EDIT: On closer inspection, this team is fucking gash. And I can't find it within myself to go as another Brazilian team.

Try River Plate (Y)

Can anyone recommend a central midfielder who's good enough to slot into the Chelsea first team who I could look up? If I'm not quick I'm going to suddenly realise that both Ballack and Deco are 32 and completely past it.

Preferably an actual MC, but an AMC would be okay too. I certainly don't want another DMC - I have enough difficulty keeping Essien and Mikel in the squad as it is.