Captain America

Benji

I love that you're all pushing for accurate historical context in a movie about an alternate universe where people have super powers. I mean, there are perfectly logical arguments for why Will Smith doesn't really fit the Captain America mold (one of them being his penchant for playing super-sarcastic leads), but race really isn't one of them.

And on that note, the story is based on a 15 word quote from a different actor being interviewed for a different movie. When you consider the nature of development on any film (much less a big budget action feature with more on the line), the odds of this coming to fruition are pretty long.

QFE. Arguing over the realism in a superhero movie :lol:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll believe it when I see it. And if Will Smith is in it, I will see it.

He's so dreamy. :blush:

PS: I'm taking this rumour with a grain of salt...had it been Avi Arad or the director(if there's even one in place for this movie yet?) then I'd be a little more wary of it. Not because I don't want a black man on screen corrupting the white man's mind...but Will Smith just ain't Captain America material. Simple as.

I love that you're all pushing for accurate historical context in a movie about an alternate universe where people have super powers. I mean, there are perfectly logical arguments for why Will Smith doesn't really fit the Captain America mold (one of them being his penchant for playing super-sarcastic leads), but race really isn't one of them.

And on that note, the story is based on a 15 word quote from a different actor being interviewed for a different movie. When you consider the nature of development on any film (much less a big budget action feature with more on the line), the odds of this coming to fruition are pretty long.

QFE. Arguing over the realism in a superhero movie :lol:

Nobody's arguing realism of a superhero movie, this isn't physics that's being argued, what's being discussed is very simplified history, society and politics.

All things that you need to take into consideration if you don't want to have some made for TV movie piece of shit. Like the original Captain America movie, persay. :shifty: But yes, as I was saying... even in the superhero universe, they try to justify things that happen through science, society, the times. It was never just "this guy can do spider shit" it was "this guy got bit by an enhance spider and it changed this inside of him, blah blah blah". Back from the beginning, the comics have always had a sense of real history, but with a slight twist on it. Human Torch punching Hitler in the face? If we actually had him, that would probably have happened. But superheroes came on the scene after a lot that happened in history, nothing can be legitimized to say "Oh yeah, they'd jump at the chance to make a black guy captain America."

But yeah, people who are into comics already know this and people who aren't are just going to say it's overanalyzing, so eh.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/38258 - Hallelujah!!!

I know of only one actor man enough to play the role of Captain America.

Shia LaBeouf.

Nah. He should be Bucky. To Keanu Reeves as Cap. :shifty:

With either Tom Cruise or John Travolta the Red Skull. :shifty:

Edited by GhostMachine

This thread needs more swaztikas.

Seriously though, I'm actually glad Will Smith isn't getting the part. While he is one of the more enjoyable actors, to me at least, I couldn't picture him as Captain America. I honestly can't think of anyone who would fit the role perfectly though. But hell, no one expected Downey to blow us away as Iron Man like he did.

Watch us end up with Paul Walker.

Will Smith was also going to be Superman at one point if I remember correctly. He gets "mentioned" all the time.

He was going to be Neo too, if I remember correctly.

I heard Bale was the brothers first pick for Neo, but Warner said he wasn't 'commercial' enough. But it does seem WIll Smith is rumoured for every other film these days.

But hell, no one expected Downey to blow us away as Iron Man like he did.

Watch us end up with Paul Walker.

Excuse me?

Anyone who DIDN'T expect him to tear that shit up either hasn't followed the career of Robert Downey Jr in the slightest, or is clearly retarded.

Robert Downey Jr IS Tony Stark.

The parallels that you can draw between the two are astounding. Even the look is right on the money.