FIFA 09

alldaws1

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been practicing free kicks. But only the powerful drives work for me, I can't seem to get the curling ones right.

Getting used to playing as Villa now. Before, when I played with my brother we'd draw, or I'd win by the odd goal. I beat him 7-0 the other night. Now he won't play any more. :(

I've only scored 3...

Curler thats on my EA Sports World with Gerrard SCREAMER!!!, Power Drive with Ibrahimovich when me mate snapped me cause i was 1 on 1 so belted it in top corner. And one with Van Der Vaart again a power drive but kinda lucky went in between Mikel's and Deco's heads in the wall and went in top corner

I am utterly hopeless at free kicks, Ive no idea how you do them. They either go easily over the bar or hit the wall. I think Ive got one or two on target but they were never gonna threaten the keeper. I've only scored a couple in the arena!

Is there a certain knack to them or what? I prefer the system they used on one of the older ones (04?) where you could choose where you aimed for on the goal and on the ball itself.

The method I think depends on the type of freekick.

On the arena mode, choose a good freekick taker or the player that takes the freekicks for the team you play with most. Set up a freekick around about where the D meets the penalty box. Shooting from the left or right is usually easier than head on.

Adjust the aim so that you can draw an imaginary straight line from the bottom center of your screen, through the ball and just inside the furthest away goal post.

Hold L1/LB and then (the part that takes the most skill really) hold Shoot until you get the power bar halfway and release. 9/10 of these shots are gonna hit the back of the net if you get it right.

That's like, the most basic way to practice them and the method I find most effective being a novice freekick taker myself (I use Villa and Ashley Young or in MM Middlesbrough and Downing). Obviously you're gonna need more power depending on the distance and the wall comes into play during games. There's some good tutorials on Youtube as well.

Speaking of free-kicks I scored an absolute beauty in a tense match on Professional (yeah it's a low difficulty but hey, It was two low star ranked teams so no-one was going to score)

And surprisingly enough all I did was hold down the shoot power to half way and not bother to actually aim.

And I wasn't even facing the goal... then again it is the Marmite of English football

http://www.eafootballworld.com/en_GB/video/2357540

The same game also featured one of the greatest O.G.s I've witnessed in the game

http://www.eafootballworld.com/en_GB/video/2357454

Edited by The General

The method I think depends on the type of freekick.

On the arena mode, choose a good freekick taker or the player that takes the freekicks for the team you play with most. Set up a freekick around about where the D meets the penalty box. Shooting from the left or right is usually easier than head on.

Adjust the aim so that you can draw an imaginary straight line from the bottom center of your screen, through the ball and just inside the furthest away goal post.

Hold L1/LB and then (the part that takes the most skill really) hold Shoot until you get the power bar halfway and release. 9/10 of these shots are gonna hit the back of the net if you get it right.

That's like, the most basic way to practice them and the method I find most effective being a novice freekick taker myself (I use Villa and Ashley Young or in MM Middlesbrough and Downing). Obviously you're gonna need more power depending on the distance and the wall comes into play during games. There's some good tutorials on Youtube as well.

Cheers, I'll give it a try!

Just had two 'firsts' for my game. Playing in Manager Mode as Liverpool at home to Blackburn, I had an early chance to make it 2-0 (after scoring with my first shot) with a bicycle kick. I've not managed one before and I think Ive only had a couple of attempts, very rare I even get them. I missed it but somehow, only 10 minutes later, another chance arises. Gerrard stabs a cross into the middle, he gets fouled by Warnock, but advantage is played and Ashton scores a beauty. Warnock got sent off for the foul on Gerrard too, which is the first time in two months on this game that Ive had an opposition player sent off.

I'd upload the goal if I had Live!, really proud of that one.

And back to the free kick thing-the technique has worked in the arena, but Ive only had one chance to test it out in a match so far and hit the side of the wall.

Edit: Crazily, Blackburn have now had David Dunn sent off as well! I've never seen so many fouls committed against me.

Edited by 1PWCorino